Decisions, decisions! Argh!!!

ChrisEdu

Standard Member
Reaction score
OK, I need a new sub as my old one has died. Been considering the REL Stentor 3, Velodyne DD12, Velodyne SPL 1200R and the mystical BK Monolith DF (possibly x2). I'd be looking at secondhand models of the Stentor and DD12, or new for the Monolith or SPL 1200.

Sub would be teamed up with a Yamaha RX-V2600 and KEF eggs, initially, although I'm planning to upgrade at least the eggs in the near future.

Room is 13'x19'x8' (approx)

I have listened to the B&W PV1 in my system - didn't like it; REL Storm 3 - liked it; and an SPL 1000R - was alright. I like to feel the force when playing movies (its main use) although, it will also be used for music (various types from rock / metal to classical and most things between).

Any ideas / advice / suggestions / comments, etc??? Thanks

Hello ChrisEdu,

I'd suggest that you upgrade the speakers first, unless bass <50Hz is more important to you than the rest of the frequency range ;)

If a sub is a must, don't go for 2 Monolith. 1 single, better sub is usually better, so for the price of 2 Monoliths, you should be able to find something better (this does not mean that the Monolith is bad, I have read it is quite close to my sub, so it must be quite close to awesome, then :D.

I understand where you are coming from with your response re. upgrading the speakers first, however, as my sub is dead I need to get a new one anyway, so will do it the other way round. :) New speakers should follow soon enough though.

If you are able to fit two monoliths in your system why not just buy a svs ultra you wont need to upgrade for a long time.
Andy.
Oh and you will definitely feel the force.

If you are able to fit two monoliths in your system why not just buy a svs ultra you wont need to upgrade for a long time.
Andy.
Oh and you will definitely feel the force.

Couldn't agree more, also 2 subs are very difficult to get right unless collocating...the SVS subs are incredible value and I'm still staggered at how perfect they have got these new Ultras !

Another shout for the Ultra.
But as Cribeiro intimates, if you could do two Monoliths, why are you messing about with eggs :confused:
Change those as soon as you can mate :smashin:

If you like to feel your movies and that's the main focus of the system, then bigger is better, no question. The big boxes go louder, compress less, distort less and crucially, go deeper with less power, for a lot less money than a sealed cube.

They're not without their down sides; Namely they are big and therefore harder to find an optimal position for plus, unless done right they can be harder to make sound musically satisfying, but then the best things always involve a bit of effort.

Russell

^^ I think that the more knowledgeable members will tell you that the Ultra is better, I haven't heard them myself... But: the 13ultra is a beast in size, the photos in SVS's website show you only the neat part. If you look photos posted by members, you will see the actual size of the monster. Something to consider if you want to fit it in a room...

So, would people go for the SVS Ultra over a DD12?

The new SVS Ultra's are a big step up from the smaller Velodyne, the DD12 subs are really nice but if you really are after performance then I would have to recommend the SVS without a doubt !

The only problem you have is the size which is very big but if you can accommodate it then you will not be disappointed.

see pic below for an idea :eek:

9.jpg

The size is definitely a major consideration, but I thought I should say the missus was totally shocked when she saw the size of the PB13.
I actually asked about it last night and she now says she doesn't notice the size any more at all.
You really do get used to them over time, as daft as it sounds, in the same way you don't notice your new sofa, after a few weeks.

recruit, do you have any pictures of the PB13 with a human next to it, as it gives better sense of scale? (also pictures of cylinder subs)

I actually asked about it last night and she now says she doesn't notice the size any more at all.
You really do get used to them over time, as daft as it sounds, in the same way you don't notice your new sofa, after a few weeks.

I agree, you do get used to it and it does look smaller to me now !

recruit, do you have any pictures of the PB13 with a human next to it, as it gives better sense of scale? (also pictures of cylinder subs)

Here you go.

And before you say anything, I've had a long week/day, am in my working clobber and look like poo, I know. I also look crap in photos :(

God, the things I do for you mugs :)

For info, I'm 5' 8" with slight build.
Doesn't matter, it's still titchy :rolleyes: :smashin:

Attachments

• DSCN0929.jpg
    DSCN0929.jpg
    141 KB · Views: 121
  • DSCN0930.jpg
    DSCN0930.jpg
    111.3 KB · Views: 108
Badger0-0 - I've hurt my neck trying to view them pics :rotfl: next time turn them the right way up :lease:

Are those Charmed season boxsets? :rotfl:

Sorry mate, it was the only way to get all of me and the sub in shot.
I can turn them in WMP, but can't save them.

David Baily, the missus ain't :)

Oh well, better than nowt, I hope :smashin:

At least you can see it's knee-high, twice as long as a small-ish bloke is wide and about as wide as a big bloke :D

Are those Charmed season boxsets? :rotfl:

Er yes, the gaffers. Some totally unopened. FS too, but I can't talk about that here.
I got infraction points for offering my PC12 Ultra FS on the sub forums (trying to do the regulars a favour).

I bought her the full set in a case jobby.

Do you have a pic same shot of DSCN0929.jpg , but you standing closer to the camera, next to the grille? Since you're standing at the backplate lose some scale to due perspective. Dougal...cows far away...;)

:) You should try to smile :) Nice to meet you :D

The front side is actually quite ok, it is that huge depth that makes it look huge.

Recruit, you could also turn the display on the side :) With my laptop is no prob:D

Cheers :smashin:

It's actually not the depth with me, the front area seems the biggest, if you know what I mean.
But then, I mostly see it from the front.

Oh well, hopefully it gives BadBob a better perspective.
I must say the black version seems decidedly smaller than the Veneer versions, I don't know why :confused:

Do you have a pic same shot of DSCN0929.jpg , but you standing closer to the camera, next to the grille? Since you're standing at the backplate lose some scale to due perspective. Dougal...cows far away...;)

:rolleyes:
Back in a min

How does the PC-Ultra copmpare to the PB13 Ultra? The smaller footprint would be useful. The depth of the PB13 makes the Stentor seem small almost!

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom