Decision time

Dony

Distinguished Member
I've pretty much narrowed my search down to 2 tv's.
Sony BRAVIA KD49XG8305BU
Sony BRAVIA KD49XH8196BU

The XG as I understand is an outgoing model, whereas the XH is the newer version. I can get both for £599 with extended warranty.

Spec wise both are pretty much identical, except for the following 2 differences:

Motion Processing Motionflow XR 800Hz versus Motionflow XR400Hz
Panel Frequency (Hz) 100Hz versus 50Hz

The outgoing model is the 100Hz panel with higher processing.

My head says go with the new model because I can get it at a very good price, but my heart says bigger numbers = better tv.

TV will be used mainly for Netflix and Sky HD. Will there be any big difference PQ wise with the older version?

Goldorak

Distinguished Member
Sony BRAVIA KD49XG8305BU
Sony BRAVIA KD49XH8196BU

The XG as I understand is an outgoing model, whereas the XH is the newer version. I can get both for £599 with extended warranty.

Spec wise both are pretty much identical, except for the following 2 differences:

My head says go with the new model because I can get it at a very good price, but my heart says bigger numbers = better tv.

TV will be used mainly for Netflix and Sky HD. Will there be any big difference PQ wise with the older version?
The main numbers you need to worry about is panel native frequency...50hz is very bad and must be 100hz
Same price for both tv
You will hate me for saying that but have a look at the higher model...if you can...
Better to try to get fald for any lcd. This model must be edge...to avoid

LCDseeker

Distinguished Member
Sony BRAVIA KD49XG8305BU
Sony BRAVIA KD49XH8196BU

Pay ten pounds more and get a much better set/PQ.

Dony

Distinguished Member
The main numbers you need to worry about is panel native frequency...50hz is very bad and must be 100hz
Same price for both tv
You will hate me for saying that but have a look at the higher model...if you can...
Better to try to get fald for any lcd. This model must be edge...to avoid

Thanks, so that suggests the older 100Hz model is the better of the 2. I appreciate I can always do better, but I'm really trying to stick to a tight budget. This isn't my main tv and those who'll be using it most can barely tell the difference between SD & HD.

I'm not sure I understand your last line, can you explain please?

Pay ten pounds more and get a much better set/PQ.

The 2020 model I've linked to is £779 in Richer sounds but I can get it at £599 which appeals as it's a good deal. Comes with 5yr warranty as well.
I could go another £100, but I need to draw a line and £789 is just too much.
Thanks for the link though.

Dodgexander

@Dony its worth reading up about TV technology before picking out models. The two TVs you have picked can be suited to different viewing conditions and different preferences and neither TV supports playing back HDR without problems.

I have a best buy guide for 2019 models here: My best value TVs, 2019-2020 Edition (all 2020 models are too overpriced to recommend right now). In the guide's opening post there are some steps to take before shopping for a TV.

If you read up about HDR for example, both the TVs you are looking at aren't going to be very suited as they lack high peak brightness and good local dimming. For that you need the higher tier Sony XG9005.

And if you are sticking strictly to a budget, you must accept the TV is not suitable to be used with HDR material, which is becoming harder and harder to avoid.

There's also a bit about panel types in the opening post. The XG83 and XH81 use different types of panels at 49". The newer overpriced XH81 uses a 60hz IPS type panel whilst the XG83 uses a 120hz VA one.

Dony

Distinguished Member
@Dony its worth reading up about TV technology before picking out models. The two TVs you have picked can be suited to different viewing conditions and different preferences and neither TV supports playing back HDR without problems.

I have a best buy guide for 2019 models here: My best value TVs, 2019-2020 Edition (all 2020 models are too overpriced to recommend right now). In the guide's opening post there are some steps to take before shopping for a TV.

If you read up about HDR for example, both the TVs you are looking at aren't going to be very suited as they lack high peak brightness and good local dimming. For that you need the higher tier Sony XG9005.

And if you are sticking strictly to a budget, you must accept the TV is not suitable to be used with HDR material, which is becoming harder and harder to avoid.

There's also a bit about panel types in the opening post. The XG83 and XH81 use different types of panels at 49". The newer overpriced XH81 uses a 60hz IPS type panel whilst the XG83 uses a 120hz VA one.

I have a good read of your best buy thread. In my (current) price range the one you recommend is also £599, so the same as the 2 I linked. This has now jumped to the top of my queue based on it using the better panel (and your recommendation).
Sony BRAVIA KD49XG8305BU

I've also taken a look at the 55" XF9005 @ £749 but the price is still putting me off.
However, at £679 this is another contender.
Sony BRAVIA KD55XG8505BU

How would you rate the XG8505?

LCDseeker

Distinguished Member
I have a good read of your best buy thread. In my (current) price range the one you recommend is also £599, so the same as the 2 I linked. This has now jumped to the top of my queue based on it using the better panel (and your recommendation).
Sony BRAVIA KD49XG8305BU

I've also taken a look at the 55" XF9005 @ £749 but the price is still putting me off.
Sony BRAVIA KD55XG8505BU

Is this a set for a spare room or one that you'll be using for years to come as a main set? If it's the latter then seriously go for the XF9005 or wait for the XG9005 to drop a bit they are much better sets in every way than the ones you are considering.

Dony

Distinguished Member
Is this a set for a spare room or one that you'll be using for years to come as a main set? If it's the latter then seriously go for the XF9005 or wait for the XG9005 to drop a bit they are much better sets in every way than the ones you are considering.

It's for a second living room but will get plenty of use. My main TV for movies is a 9G Kuro.

LCDseeker

Distinguished Member
It's for a second living room but will get plenty of use. My main TV for movies is a 9G Kuro.

Maybe not such a big deal then, why not look at Hisense and save a few pennies. In terms of the Sony's you're considering I wouldn't bother you are just paying for expensive 2020 sets, push for the XF9005 if you can.

Dony

Distinguished Member
Maybe not such a big deal then, why not look at Hisense and save a few pennies. In terms of the Sony's you're considering I wouldn't bother you are just paying for expensive 2020 sets, push for the XF9005 if you can.

I swore I wouldn't, but I know I can up my budget if the XF9005 is that much of a step up.

The bigger problem I'm having now is convincing the rest of the family that a 55" isn't too big. I've made a cardboard cutout of both sizes and I'm being outnumbered 4:1 by my wife and kids who all think the 55" is too big.
The room is 13ft x 13ft so we'll be sat approx 9ft back.

bjd

Distinguished Member
Give in...buy the LG 48" OLED CX...
"Well, you ladies all said the 55" was too big. Just doing what I'm told, dear"

Dodgexander

Sony BRAVIA KD49XG8305BU

Sony BRAVIA KD55XG8505BU

If you have come to the conclusion you want a TV using a VA type panel yes. As mentioned already by a few in this thread though try to stretch to the XG9005 if you can. You get a lot better bang for buck spending more on the XG90 than you will on the XG83 compared to a budget Hisense model.

The Sony XG85 is a TV using an IPS panel, so isn't suitable if you have come to the conclusion a VA panel is for you. It also starts at 55" and over when the previous tvs you have mentioned are all sub 55".

If you can fit a 55" the bigger the better. Sony XF9005 is practically the same TV as the 49 XG9005 and costs about the same.

Dony

Distinguished Member
If you have come to the conclusion you want a TV using a VA type panel yes. As mentioned already by a few in this thread though try to stretch to the XG9005 if you can. You get a lot better bang for buck spending more on the XG90 than you will on the XG83 compared to a budget Hisense model.

The Sony XG85 is a TV using an IPS panel, so isn't suitable if you have come to the conclusion a VA panel is for you. It also starts at 55" and over when the previous tvs you have mentioned are all sub 55".

If you can fit a 55" the bigger the better. Sony XF9005 is practically the same TV as the 49 XG9005 and costs about the same.

To be honest I've no idea what the difference is between an IPS and VA panel. I've a couple of IPS monitors connected to my PC for photo editing that have served me well.

I've been told by a couple of people that VA is better but I'm not sure in what way.

Last edited:

Sloppy Bob

Distinguished Member
To be honest I've no idea what the difference is between an IPS and VA panel.

Dony

Distinguished Member
Looking at that link the pros for a VA are the cons for an IPS and vice versa.
The viewing angle difference is interesting because when all family members are watching TV at least one of the seating positions is approx 40° to the left of the screen.
Most other seating positions will be fine.

Last edited:

LCDseeker

Distinguished Member
I swore I wouldn't, but I know I can up my budget if the XF9005 is that much of a step up.

The bigger problem I'm having now is convincing the rest of the family that a 55" isn't too big. I've made a cardboard cutout of both sizes and I'm being outnumbered 4:1 by my wife and kids who all think the 55" is too big.
The room is 13ft x 13ft so we'll be sat approx 9ft back.

Definitely wont be too large. We've got the 55" and it's great, we sit between 9-15' from the set, mainly around 9-11 feet and I'm considering getting a 65".

Dony

Distinguished Member
The XG9005 at approx £999 is out of budget, with the XF9005 on the limit at £749.
Is the previous model XE9005 worth considering? It's in budget at £650 with 5yr warranty or am I going to far back?

Dodgexander

The viewing angle difference is interesting because when all family members are watching TV at least one of the seating positions is approx 40° to the left of the screen.
If you want the picture to look similar at this position to the central one, you can't consider the Sony XF9005, XG9005 or XG9505. The XE9005 is best avoided as its a 2017 model with a known 50hz frame repeat bug.

Consider going for the Samsung Q80R if you can still find one. Unlike other TVs using VA panels it has a wide viewing angle filter. If that is out of budget then you have to choose between:

1. Sony XF9005 and sacrifice viewing angles at secondary seating positions.
or
2. Go for a TV using an IPS panel instead and forgo any kind of decent HDR hardware. You can spend less this way, get better viewing angles, but you'll be buying into a TV that won't play HDR without issues. LG and Sony both have mid range options with the LG SM8500/SM8600 and Sony XG85/XG87 series.

If the secondary seating position is usually held by someone who isn't critical of picture quality and won't notice viewing angles being poorer (most layman do not) then the Sony XF9005 will be fine and is the better overall TV.

LCDseeker

Distinguished Member
The XG9005 at approx £999 is out of budget, with the XF9005 on the limit at £749.
Is the previous model XE9005 worth considering? It's in budget at £650 with 5yr warranty or am I going to far back?

The XF9005 is your best bet to meet as close to your budget whilst getting an excellent set.

Dony

Distinguished Member
The XF9005 is your best bet to meet as close to your budget whilst getting an excellent set.

Thanks all, I've been convinced.
Hoping to order an XF9005 tomorrow. There's very few left it seems, and as I'm in N.Ireland I can't order off the Richer Sounds website (no idea why that's the case but anyway). I phoned them on Friday and left a message so hopefully they'll respond tomorrow.

LCDseeker

Distinguished Member
Thanks all, I've been convinced.
Hoping to order an XF9005 tomorrow. There's very few left it seems, and as I'm in N.Ireland I can't order off the Richer Sounds website (no idea why that's the case but anyway). I phoned them on Friday and left a message so hopefully they'll respond tomorrow.

That's frustrating. I think it normally means the only stock they have is left in shops so you can't order via online direct.

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: Which is the best decade for horror movies?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Hisense TVs get Disney+ on VIDAA smart OS
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Astell&Kern launches entry level SR25 MKII portable music player
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
LG rumoured to release 97-inch OLED TV in 2022
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
What's new on Blu-ray (UK) for Halloween 2021