• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Decision time!

gingerninja72

Established Member
Right, we ordered a 22" LG tv for the bedroom at the weekend. What gets delivered just now from Argos? A 40" Sony worth £800 odd

So what to do now? I've only been charged for the 22", and already have a 40". Am tempted to sell it, but at the same time, don't want this to turn round and bite me. Am starting to veer towards being honest and seeing what happens. I did sign for what was delivered, but the order number relates to the LG, not this Sony

Thoughts?

Coffin

Distinguished Member
Am starting to veer towards being honest and seeing what happens
All they'll do is have that collected and have the correct screen delivered

Argos turn over £4bn a year..I'm sure they'll survive if you kept it and sold it on :D So yes..all you're left with is the moral dilemma

Solomon Grundy

Distinguished Member
Personally I'd call them and let them know. Why be dishonest about it? Plus if it goes wrong what will you do about proof of purchase etc?

NooBish AbbZ 92

Distinguished Member
Maybe leave it a few weeks to see if they realise their mistake. If nothign happens, sell it on, and buy the 22". You'll have the TV you wanted, and a few extra quid.:smashin:

figoagogo

Distinguished Member
Hold on to it for now, see what happens in the next week or two. When the complaint comes it, they may end up just blaming the courier, without knowing where the TV went.

Pitty the poor sod that ordered the 40in and got your little'un :laugh:

John

sometime today someone will get a knock on the door and be handed the 22" LG.

Veni Vidi Vici

Prominent Member
Right, we ordered a 22" LG tv for the bedroom at the weekend. What gets delivered just now from Argos? A 40" Sony worth £800 odd

So what to do now? I've only been charged for the 22", and already have a 40". Am tempted to sell it, but at the same time, don't want this to turn round and bite me. Am starting to veer towards being honest and seeing what happens. I did sign for what was delivered, but the order number relates to the LG, not this Sony

Thoughts?

Hmm difficult one. Not sure where you stand legally because even though its their error you signed the paperwork knowing it wasn't the item you ordered. I'd imagine legally you would be in the wrong.

gingerninja72

Established Member
Hmm difficult one. Not sure where you stand legally because even though its their error you signed the paperwork knowing it wasn't the item you ordered. I'd imagine legally you would be in the wrong.

Thats what I'm thinking. But then again I dont know what Ive signed for. The label on the box corresponds with the order number on the email I received....

Aaaarrrggghh dont know what to do, this is a tricky one, the money would come in handy, but as someone says, what about the warranty?

Veni Vidi Vici

Prominent Member
Thats what I'm thinking. But then again I dont know what Ive signed for. The label on the box corresponds with the order number on the email I received....

Aaaarrrggghh dont know what to do, this is a tricky one, the money would come in handy, but as someone says, what about the warranty?

except the huge box you were delivered wouldn't be for a 22" inch TV and it would of had Sony plastered all over it and not LG :)

Hors1na

Prominent Member
Which LG TV was it? I might order one and see if the same thing happens to me!;)

BTW I would keep it for a while, and see what happens. If you don't hear anything for a few weeks, flog it!:thumbsup:

gavinl1967

Prominent Member
almost the exact same thing happened to a girl at my work a couple of years ago, the only difference being she had the same 37" tv delivered twice. She kept the second one in her spare room for a few months and eventually sold it on to a friend. No-one ever arrived to collect the second one and she was never billed for it.

I would be keeping it to see what happens.

fencer90

Established Member
I fail to understand why anyone would consider theft by finding , which is what this is acceptable........Go into the shop and nick a 50 inch there is no difference.

There is no moral dilemma here there is criminality or honesty ..choose.

Mr Noble

Distinguished Member
Argos turn over £4bn a year..I'm sure they'll survive if you kept it and sold it on :D

So a company's profit dictate whether or not you should keep the item...interesting :rolleyes:

To the OP so the big box that came with the courier why did you not speak up :confused: and say this is not for me, what happens if whoever ordered it get's the 22" and has no proof to say they never recieved the 40" pretty shocking for them.

you would moan if you got less for your money but not speak up about getting more ... nice :thumbsdow

chances are they will come and pick it up anyway , as they will just check the logs and see who has not got the item they were supposed too, could be a couriers job on the line here so think about that before counting the pile of cash in your head ;)

Last edited:

imightbewrong

Distinguished Member
Love the morality on these threads :) All the give-it-back types - you go to a cash machine and ask for £100 - it gives you £500 (10x£50 instead of 10x£10) but only debits the £100 from your account - do you go rushing into the bank and hand it in? Be honest now...

I once ordered something and got sent two - just sold one of them. Wasn't anywhere near as much as a TV mind. Maybe this should in be the confession thread... ;)

Mr Noble

Distinguished Member
Love the morality on these threads :) All the give-it-back types - you go to a cash machine and ask for £100 - it gives you £500 (10x£50 instead of 10x£10) but only debits the £100 from your account - do you go rushing into the bank and hand it in? Be honest now...

I once ordered something and got sent two - just sold one of them. Wasn't anywhere near as much as a TV mind. Maybe this should in be the confession thread... ;)

that has never happened to me , but i would hand it back the same as where i'd call if i got less cash than asked for (when a £20 sometime's decides to get stuck in the dispenser), as i'd not be able to afford to pay it back if it was traced, so for peace of mind and to make sure i could pay my bills at the end of the month then yes i would :smashin:

stevenM

Banned
that has never happened to me , but i would hand it back the same as where i'd call if i got less cash than asked for (when a £20 sometime's decides to get stuck in the dispenser), as i'd not be able to afford to pay it back if it was traced, so for peace of mind and to make sure i could pay my bills at the end of the month then yes i would :smashin:

would your answer be different if you knew you couldn't be traced

imightbewrong

Distinguished Member

Good one ;)

Mr Noble

Distinguished Member
would your answer be different if you knew you couldn't be traced

nope if I want money I earn it or sell something I no longer use :thumbsup:

If you found an old womans purse with a few hundred quid in would you take it if no one was around or hand it in?

seem's to be bad to have morals these days...

I don't take possesion of stuff that does not belong to me.

Last edited:

imightbewrong

Distinguished Member
Going off topic this makes an interesting psychology/morality question - would you commit a crime where there was zero risk of being caught. Some kind of 'victim-less'* financial skulduggery.

don't expect an answer, but it's interesting to play out a few scenarios in your mind :)

*no-one is injured, you are not stealing from a 'little person'

gingerninja72

Established Member
To the OP so the big box that came with the courier why did you not speak up :confused: and say this is not for me, what happens if whoever ordered it get's the 22" and has no proof to say they never recieved the 40" pretty shocking for them.

you would moan if you got less for your money but not speak up about getting more ... nice :thumbsdow

chances are they will come and pick it up anyway , as they will just check the logs and see who has not got the item they were supposed too, could be a couriers job on the line here so think about that before counting the pile of cash in your head ;)

Actually it was the courier who suggested keeping it.

The latest video from AVForums

Spielberg, Shyamalan, Aronofsky, Chazelle, Eddie Murphy and Mel Gibson - all the latest movies
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom