decision time really need opinions

stegalv

At last being able to spend on a new amp,but which one.
Been ringing around and have had some good prices,I thought I had more or less decided but the dreaded doubt devil has popped up,
Do I go for the well thought of marantz 7010. And spend the saved money on a new sub or 2/3 channel amp for the front 3 speakers,I like getting value for money

Or the den 6200w/yam 3050,Supposedly better built but are they worth an extra 600 quid,also had a good price on the denon 7200w but out of stock at present
My yam3010 has been on about 6 or 7 hours every day for the last 3/4 years without an hiccup,would the 7010 be up to the job,
Need a few opinions please

mcspongy

I went from a Yamaha RX-V2065 to the Marantz SR7010 recently. I have no complaints about the sound performance, and set up was straightforward....but I am having some HDMI handshaking issues that I never had before.

I don't think the premium of the 6200 over the 7010 was ever justified, but I know you can get excellent deals on the Yamaha's, so you might still be able to afford one of the other bits?

stegalv

thanks for the replys,focal chorus 826 vw special edition speakers.
mcspongy,the difference is like i said around 5 to 6 hundred between the 7010 and the 6200/3050,
can't decide if the quality of build and sound justifies the difference.if not then which to buy 6200/3050.the 7200wa is also a possibility but slightly more expensive.

PSM1

Distinguished Member
Not sure you really need to stretch to the 6200 hence I would think the marantz will be fine.

indus

Distinguished Member
Have you read the review on this site of the 7010? It seems to be very good.

I don't know much about Yamahas but personally between the 6200/7200 and the 7010, if I were on a fixed budget, I'd save the £600 and put that towards a 3ch amp or better sub.

Just my ho!!

mcspongy

I think the Yam 3050 review is on its way too, so that will help here. I agree the premium of the 6200 is not worth it.

Of course, best advice is to see if you can get a demo of the SR7010 and the Yamaha (and Denon 7200).

stegalv

thanks again,really helping to make my mind up,
i would like to have a demo of the amps on my list,but it is absolutely rubbish around the northwest.nearest dealer i can find at a good price is a 220 mile round trip and only have the marantz 7010 and denon 6200w but seems no demo facilities.

mcspongy

Living on the south coast, the north west to me is anywhere above Margate:D. Are you anywhere near Allan at Ideal AV (Normanton)? He will certainly have both the Denon & Marantz in a proper demo room, not sure about the Yamaha. He does good deals to boot.

Colin151

What speakers do you have? If you have more lively and upfront sounding speakers then go with any Yamaha or Denon/Marantz. Both are a bit warm sounding and will counter the speakers well. Denon/Marantz a bit warmer than Yamaha. I think the new Yamaha 3050 is probably the cream of the crop in this category.

If your speakers are more on the relaxed side I'd recommend an Anthem or maybe an Onkyo but these sort of amps can be too much with upfront//bright/lively speakers and give a harsh sound that is fatiguing.

The Anthem Atmos models coming out this month (MRX720 and MRX1120) look good but are pricey. £2.5 and £3.5k respectively and you need extra power amps to do an Atmos combo above 5.2.2 on the cheaper 720 model as it only has 7 channels of amplification on board (1120 model has 11 amps on board)

Pioneers are very detailed sounding and very clear for effect sounds, but sound too bright in my experience, and on the further negative side they are not nearly as dynamic or punchy as Anthems either.

Last edited:

soupdragon

Distinguished Member
I also have the same special edition focal speakers and I matched mine up with the Yamaha 2050 in a 7.1.2 atmos set up. They are a great match. I also looked at the Marantz 7010 and for price performance, I think the 2050 and the 7010 are going to be very hard to beat at around the £1k mark.

stegalv

Thanks everyone,going to try and sort something this week,7010 is looking tempting due to price and recommendations, but not 100% decided.
Mcspongy did you sort handshake and how.

Colin151

Sorry for not noticing that you'd already mentioned the speakers you are using when I wrote my last post. Denon/Marantz or Yamaha are certainly the best matching bets for your speakers but my personal choice would be a Yamaha. Better sound than Denon/Marantz in my view, despite not having Audyssey. You could use an antimode if you needed sub EQ as I suspect even the latest version of YPAO still doesn't EQ subs very well.

I recently had a Denon X5200 but returned it immediately. Granted, I have different speakers than you but I found the sound really lacking in all areas even compared to an much older Yamaha 3067. The Denon just sounded too warm, undynamic and quite muffled. Detail was very obscured compared to all the other amps I've tried. The Denon x5200 is the supposed to be identical to the Marantz 7009. The Marantz 7010 is a newer model but I'd still be wary. With your speakers I suspect a Yammy 1050, 2050 or older **40 model on discount would likely be a better sounding buy.

Perhaps the Denon x6200 and x7200 sound better than the x5200 (as the processing is better) but I'd play safe and go with a trusty Yamaha instead

Last edited:

stegalv

Thanks Colin,I already have the yammy 3010,but I have put a couple of speakers into ceiling for atmos and at some point will get 4k HDR tv\projector, so need to update amp.(plus I just like new toys)
Use it 90% tv\films.
I had a very good price from a known dealer on the yammy 3050 i wanted to have a look and pick it up personally,but because of distance I couldn't, so tried to see if I could get a price match from dealers closer by,as soon as I mentioned the price I was told there is no way it is an official yammy dealer,I had a look on the yam site and they weren't listed so not sure how to find out.

stewjoy

Thanks Colin,I already have the yammy 3010,but I have put a couple of speakers into ceiling for atmos and at some point will get 4k HDR tv\projector, so need to update amp.(plus I just like new toys)
Use it 90% tv\films.
I had a very good price from a known dealer on the yammy 3050 i wanted to have a look and pick it up personally,but because of distance I couldn't, so tried to see if I could get a price match from dealers closer by,as soon as I mentioned the price I was told there is no way it is an official yammy dealer,I had a look on the yam site and they weren't listed so not sure how to find out.
Have you tried quantum AV he is in st Asaph north wales.

Colin151

Use it 90% tv\films.
I think the 3050 is a good bet. Although the is no uhd compatibility or DTSX you might consider the 3040 too. £999 from Richer sounds at the moment. I was going to get one myself until a guy on the Yammy **50 yesterday said that he had both and the 3050 has better sound in several key areas. I'm going to wait and get a 3050 when the prices drop a lot more but good luck with getting a price match.

I might be wrong but I'd worry a Denon or Marantz (although though they have Atmos) might not even sound as good as your current Yammy 3010.

Last edited:

soupdragon

Distinguished Member
I think the 3050 is a good bet. Although the is no uhd compatibility or DTSX you might consider the 3040 too. £999 from Richer sounds at the moment. I was going to get one myself until a guy on the Yammy **50 yesterday said that he had both and the 3050 has better sound in several key areas. I'm going to wait and get a 3050 when the prices drop a lot more but good luck with getting a price match.

I might be wrong but I'd worry a Denon or Marantz (although they have Atmos) might not even sound as good as your current Yammy 3010.
I think if he's going for 4k then the new 15/16 receivers are a must.... The 3040 won't have hdcp 2.2 which is part of 4k bluray spec whereas the 3050 already has it.

stegalv

the doubt devil is back,what do you mean colin there is no uhd compatibility?are the present denon/yammy/marantz still not up to full spec{i know no dts-x yet until the upgrade},what will they not work with.

soupdragon

Distinguished Member
the doubt devil is back,what do you mean colin there is no uhd compatibility?are the present denon/yammy/marantz still not up to full spec{i know no dts-x yet until the upgrade},what will they not work with.
The current models are all in spec so no need to worry. I was just pointing out last year's 3040 isn't fully specced.

Colin151

Yeah any current model is ok. UHD means the amp will be compatible with UHD 4K material. The Yamaha 3040 is indeed no good if you want to go 4K. I'm not bothered about 4K and was going to get a 3040 - until I heard that Yanaha have also improved the sound on the newer 3050 too.

I think the older Denon X5200 and Marantz 7009 don't have HDCP2.2 but the x7200 does. Marantz 7010 definitely has it.

stegalv

nightmare trying to decide which one.as no dealers close by with them on demo at decent prices.
sorry soupdragon misread your post about uhd,grateful for everyones comments.

The latest video from AVForums

Panasonic HZ2000 OLED TV Review: The best OLED for movie viewing in 2020

Latest News

McIntosh launches MX100 AV processor and MI347 power amp
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Samsung updates and expands access to Samsung TV Plus
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Disney+ UK introduces GroupWatch co-viewing feature
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published