Decision Time Nad T778 or Arcam AVR20

TruroSpurs

Established Member
Reaction score
Trying to decide on a new AV receiver and after huge amounts of reading I’ve narrowed my choice down to either the NAD T 778 or Arcam AVR20. It was going to be the AVR10 but I can get a manufacturer’s refurb AVR20 for the same money and warranty. Initially I will be running a 5.1.2 system using Monitor Audio Silver series speakers. Duties will be split between movies and music. I’ve pretty much read all the posts in both of their respected owners threads but any help or advice in helping me choose would be appreciated.

I would say the firmware for the Arcam is mainly stable now and you also have the option of a hdmi 2.1 upgrade in the future if you need or want it. Not sure if NAD offers this. Have not heard NAD but the Arcam sound signature for both music and movies is hard to beat.

I’m in the same boat - I will try the 778 at home before I commit - I will use it mainly for music - if it doesn’t work I will wait for the Onkyo TXRZ 50 in the summer

Trying to decide on a new AV receiver and after huge amounts of reading I’ve narrowed my choice down to either the NAD T 778 or Arcam AVR20. It was going to be the AVR10 but I can get a manufacturer’s refurb AVR20 for the same money and warranty. Initially I will be running a 5.1.2 system using Monitor Audio Silver series speakers. Duties will be split between movies and music. I’ve pretty much read all the posts in both of their respected owners threads but any help or advice in helping me choose would be appreciated.
I would pick the Arcam due to the Auro support, Dolby Virtual and option of adding Dirac Bass control and proper multi subwoofer support later (Dual subwoofers is a big upgrade for later IMHO) as well as the option of HDMI 2.1 later.

As @KWB1 said the Onkyo RZ50 is good value once it becomes available.

I know it's been over a week since this was posted, but if you still haven't decided, get the Arcam AVR20. I miss the big display from the NAD T778 and Bluesound is kind of neat, but I had two units suffer from fan noise that was omnipresent. I ultimately returned the second one for exchange for the Arcam, after doing what it sounds like you did and reading seamingly infinite owner's thread posts about it and other possible options like an Anthem. I feel like the Arcam is great. The Arcam is totally silent, more stable (never had issues, all major ones seem to have been ironed out), and I like the stereo output from it better. Surround is probably same-ish, I couldn't really tell much difference there after running Dirac.

One more thing, if it's not urgent, maybe keep saving until the Arcam AVR21 comes out, which will have HDMI 2.1. It sounds like you have a good deal possible, but you should know it's coming (it's listed in a MusicDirect.com catalog I got, but there's no release date yet).

Hope that helps!

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom