Decision Time - But Freesat or Freeview

Discussion in 'Digital TV & Video Players & Recorders' started by topgazza, Sep 14, 2018.

1. topgazza

topgazza
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,540
    I promise this is the last question I'll ask on this subject. No, I cant sustain that arguement.... :facepalm:

But after weeks of research and much help from forums here I'm a little bit nearer buying something. My problem is..well... the number of problems these boxes seem to have. But using my TV Freeview I understand they are not as slick as Sky but once you get used to the operation they will be fine. reliability is another issue.

So to dip my toe in the water I am looking at a box from CEX so not huge money to see what its all about and then try it for a while. Advice please on which to go for. Simply put I want a reasonably smooth EPG ability to pause live TV and series record.

Suggestions please and I am looking at

Humax HDR-Fox T2 500GB Freeview
    BT/Humax T2100 500GB YouView
    Couple of BT HDR Fox T2 UHD on classifieds here

Any other suggestions welcome

2. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,087
    Firstly - a couple of questions. Which terrestrial Transmitter do you get your signals from and is the reception good for all the Freeview multiplexes. Do you have wired network coverage or strong WiFi coverage throughout your property ?

3. topgazza

topgazza
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,540
    Thanks Graham

Hannington with 117 channels and 16 HD. I get excellent strong signal and beautiful HD and seem to get a great signal across all channels I use on Freeview

I have 30meg WiFi and have eithernet cable at the TV as well so all is good in that respect

I also have a Sky dish......

4. davemurgatroyd2

davemurgatroyd2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,327
    If you have a Freeview TV then unless your TV also has a satellite tuner then a Freesat/FTA satellite PVR would give you the widest choice of channels - something like a Humax Freesat box

5. topgazza

topgazza
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,540
    The TV only has one tuner of course but you're right and reading about the Freesat boxes the impression I get is that the operation of them whilst not lightning is smoother/quicker than a Freeview ? I have the Sky box but cant pause or record of course. I have plugged a USB HDD in the TV and I can at least pause live TV on the channel I'm watching. So the main driver is one box that does the basics well. Seems some of the older models are better. I have the TV Freeview for backup.

I did also read that the BT/Humax 2100 YouView is also reasonably quick as well ?

If I have any obsession is good quality HD which I get from the TV Freeview. Astonishly so to me. Its superb.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2018
  6. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,087
    Freeview-HD is very good, TBH If it's any help, Quality from a G2- Freesat + (HDR-1000S is equally as good.

Not the fastest UI but the Humax FVP-5000T has all the catch up channels plus Netflix and equally as good a picture. In terms of recording it's way ahead of the other boxes, having 3 tuners it can record up to 4 at once subject to mux. eg taking the main HD PSB mux can record 4 of the 5 HD channels and watch the 5th live (and even record the 5th from the time shift buffer after one of the 4 recordings finishes. If catch up isn't an isssue and two tuners is enough then a discontinued Humax HDR-FOX- T2 with the custom firmware is hard to beat especially if you want to view recordings on the box on other kit on your home network. Two can even view each others recordings (even HD) without any mods at all. The UI on these boxes is responsive.

Quick Start Guide

More If you fancy trying a 5000T,
    Suggest you buy one from somewhere like John Lewis, if the slow UI is not acceptable you can return it under the distancence selling regs.

7. topgazza

topgazza
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,540
    Thinking about JL as the safe option to buy and try Graham. order online and collect or even direct to door. Recording multiple channels is not something I would do. Skys big sell was a free Q box as it can record lots.... and multi room.... guy was seriously disappointed when I said not interested.

I think the boxes performance is key to me. I accept a difference in technology and a slow UI wouldnt overly bother me at first but i would prefer something a little... responsive. Hence the older boxes from CEX. For £50 - £80 theres a good choice to try and a 2 year guarantee. I'm thinking the Fox T2 500GB Freeview or the HDR 1000S for £45 ?

And if I dont like them I've not lost a lot. And if I do like it I can wait till it fails and buy the latest. But if you get a good one they can last for ages as I understand it

Last edited: Sep 14, 2018
  8. Eddy555

Eddy555
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,470
  9. topgazza

topgazza
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,540
    Not the end of the world Eddy.... but it is a negative for Freesat.

10. topgazza

topgazza
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,540
    Posted elsewhere by my local JL have a 5000T 500Gb for £179 which I think is a return as it say "opened" on the box and "secondhand" so even buying that I could return it if faulty or I didnt get on with it and found a fault. Jl are pretty good like that. Odds are the buyer couldnt get on with it. Its a £40 saving over new....

11. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,087
    The channel can be viewed using non freesat mode but not recorded on a Humax G2 box. Anyone with a Foxsat-HDR can record Channel 4 HD using non freesat mode or using the channel editor package on a custom firmware equipped Foxsat-HDR.

12. topgazza

topgazza
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,540
    Nearly bought a Formuler F1 from here good piece of kit but the wife went balistic... twice. She wants a simple plug and play box and was adamant that I would be spending hours playing with the thing. She is probably right but she put her foot firmly down. Seller was very understanding.

Going into JL on Wednesday and if the Humax 5000T is there I will get it to try or failing that a BT DTR-T4000 1TB YouView Ultra HD 4K for £75 from CEX