Decision : Sony KDL-V40A12U, KDL-W40A12U or KDL-40V2000U

Discussion in 'Sony TVs Forum' started by Gliese 581c, Mar 17, 2006.

1. Gliese 581c

Gliese 581c

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +586
    I've had a bad time of it with Sony and gultronics not being able to supply me the kdl-v40a12u in almost 3 months and then basically forcing my hand by telling me that I need to pay £300 more as Sony can only supply them with the kdl-w40a12u. When I was in the sony centre today they have said that the kdl-40v2000u will be out next month, so what do I do ?

KDL-V40A12U
    My hearts been set on this telly for months and months now, its stunning, pic quality is nothing short of outstanding and its as sleek as they come.

Availability : Its easier to get an Xbox 360 in its day of release than to get one of these outside a Sony centre.

Cost : £1900-£2200

KDL-W40A12U
    The current king of the crop, the V40 with a different fascia, it has the wow factor until your eyes meet that stupid silver strip at either side of the set. It has a better sound system but I dont care about that. Its also wider than the V40 which is a bit off putting.

Availability : Easier to get than its little brother the V40, but still in demand.

Cost : I can get it for £2099

KDL-40V2000U
    This badboy will show its face next month, It has better spec than the current V40 lcd and should be roughly the same price. I dont care for the 'X' range with its 1080p & slightly better spec.

Availability : April/May

Cost : £1900-£2200

So what do I do, I'm torn to bits here, I really want the v40, I change my mind later on in the day and decide I'll settle on the w40 as its a great price im being offered on it, then I think, why not just wait till next month but I'll miss out on Sony's £200 cashback and thats a lot of wanga to miss out on.

I really dont know, I change my mind 5 times a day, but always end back up with the v40, if only it was available at a decent price I'd bit a stores hand off.

what should I do ?

2. Smi1er

Smi1er
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Stick with it.

I waited 5 months for my Sony 32" V series:eek:

3. Gliese 581c

Gliese 581c

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +586
    all those replies, took me ages to read through :D

4. mistrip

mistrip

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    I have a v40 :smashin: . If i was in your position i'd just wait for the new version rather than wait for a new one of the old version if you see what i mean.

And hasn't the cashback offer finished already?

5. ripkord

ripkord

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +108
    I thought the new models are coming out in september?

Any the improvements dont quite justify the price increase IMO.

6. Gliese 581c

Gliese 581c

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +586
    cashback hasnt finished with my order with gultronics, as I had placed the order well before hand. this has been confirmed by the promotion team that runs the cashback.

ripkord, the new 40v2000u is out April, possibly May at the latest.

mind made up, im gonna wait for the 40v2000u

7. Argee1977

Argee1977

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    I thought the 46" was out in May and the 40" model was going to be later in the year?

8. ripkord

ripkord

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +108
    According to a bloke on these forums who works for sony, the W40 is a better set than the V, and it isnt just about the sound system, although I am still sceptical about that. You can PM him and ask, think his name is Kuroush or something.

9. Argee1977

Argee1977

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    I'm watching black hawk down on UK Gold on my W40 just now and its excellent, i also think that it takes a good month to get used to an LCD like the sony V or W, once the settings are sorted then its pretty much a case of just getting used to it, stopping yourself looking for weaknesses and just enjoying how good they are.

The one thing i'd like to see would be an extra HDMI on the back, but i guess i'll get by with one HDMI and one component, since the Playstation is getting later and later i guess i don't need that extra HDMI until 2008, then again with the lack of info from sky i might not even need that one HDMI for a long time.

:rotfl:

10. Gliese 581c

Gliese 581c

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +586
    Agree1977 : Thats the 'X' range your thinking of, I want the 'V'

11. Gliese 581c

Gliese 581c

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +586
    ripkord : check the spec of both sets, there is no difference whatsoever in terms of pic quality, processing etc etc. They both use these exact same screens, technology, only the fascia and sound systems are different.

12. ripkord

ripkord

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +108
    Thats what I thought, but it has different options in the service menu as well, so who knows.

You really think its worth waiting another 2 months for an extra set of inputs and some more contrast? Because apart from that the old v series and new v series are the same. I say get the V now if you can, you seem to be set on that anyway... its tried and tested, you never know they could totally botch the new ones :)

It can be argues that the s series use the same screens and technology etc, but there is a clear difference between the S and V series picture processing, like I said, I'm not the one to question, I didnt make the claims.

13. ash

ash

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +396
    aRCaM, you do have a TV now don't you, from your sig its a Panasonic plasma right? If so, I would wait. There is nothing much you will miss out on as there is no HD Material yet, unless you want to view it via HTPC.

14. kourosh

kourosh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,111
    i was at sony headquarters last week they done a comparison between the old V and the new V:eek: my god was there a difference i would advise any1 who is still waiting for the old V to cancel and get the new version:thumbsup: there is gonna be alot of peed of people who has just got there V and then seeing the new version in a couple of months......................:rolleyes: the model i so was a prototype and not a finished one so there was more to come.
    Its due in may..just remember where you heard it 1st guys;)

15. Gliese 581c

Gliese 581c

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +586
    according to sony centre in edinburgh, its due april.

16. ripkord

ripkord

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +108
    I'll believe it when I see it.

17. Gliese 581c

Gliese 581c

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +586
    i just want a telly for my room :D

18. Gliese 581c

Gliese 581c

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +586
    just been to sony centre in glasgow...

edinburgh says April, glasgow says June for the new V range.

Its bad enough waiting for a vendor to supply a telly for nearly 3 months, and sony for not being able to supply, but for a retail outlet as important as the sony centre to not know their a**e from their elbow is a bit depressing and also makes you quite angry.

19. Argee1977

Argee1977

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11

The other problem is that you're really going to have to wait and see if the new ones are any better than the older ones, will they have problems with the new technology and what prices will they be.

It might be worth checking out other manufacturers to see what quality they are, Toshiba, Samsung (M61), Sharp and others seem to be doing pretty decent models in the 37-40" range.

20. kourosh

kourosh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,111
    its defin may..........and im pretty sure this is the tv that they will be prommoting with the launch of the new sky hidef box;) :cool: blac+silver tv black+silver hidef set top box

21. ripkord

ripkord

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +108
    Arcam, if you get your receipt from the place you buy your v40 or w40 and send this to sony they will honour the cashback, I got my check today and I have no telly (or dvdr for that matter lol) yet nor warranty. All I sent them was a photocopy of my receipt.

22. David Mackenzie

David Mackenzie
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,312
    Thanks for the updates Kourosh.

What was the difference like? Better colour, deinterlacing? Do you know if these new Vs do anything to hide MPEG blocking on Freeview?

I think the American XBR (their V Series) models have always had the S-PVA panels with this new backlight (not sure about "Live Colour Creation" though). Would I be right in saying that Sony of Europe made the old V-Series out of parts they had lying around or could get on the cheap, and what we're seeing in Europe now is the real deal? The evidence seems to suggest that because in the States there's been no word on an update to their V-Series.

Then again, maybe we're getting an all new improved model and the US isn't... crazier things have happened? This is the first we've heard of "BRAVIA Engine", the earlier Vs and the American versions had WEGA. Maybe that's the big difference.

It seems bizarre that they shaved off the Automatic Backlight Sensor and the VGA input but left it on the entry-level models before. So glad to see those have been restored. I'm really glad I trusted my first instinct and didn't buy the original European V-series after they removed so much from it.

23. ripkord

ripkord

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +108
    The words "chickens" , "count" and "hatched" spring to mind.

24. keppy2006

keppy2006
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ARCAM ... RE YOUR COMMENT ABOUT "X" series... can you explain what it means .. WILL this follow the "V" series...

25. ripkord

ripkord

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +108
    september.

26. ash

ash

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +396
    Your lucky your current TV is good :) I really wanted to wait for the 1080p models but couldn't resist. Now my Toshiba is having some problems :rolleyes: Let's see if I can get a return, don't tell anyone :smashin:

27. Esther

Esther

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I expect delivery of the new Sony W later this week but have become unsettled having read these comments. Do I continue with the ordered W or should I cancel and wait a few more months for the higher spec models to arrive?

28. Esther

Esther

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi! Sony W40A12U or wait a few months for the new Sonys to arrive?

Confused - John15

29. Argee1977

Argee1977

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Esher, i've got the W, its a great TV, it'll get better with the HD arriving soon, dunno what all this new backlight and bravia engine will do but the current stuff seems to do the job well.

I will say that if you're moving up from a 28 or 32" TV then it'll take time to adjust to a 40" screen, your eyes will take time to get used to the extra screen and info you're taking in (as well as for the first couple of weeks you keep looking for faults, even if they're not there!), getting your personal settings will also take a good couple of weeks and i really think it takes time for a little settling in period as well as i've had mine for about 6 weeks and its really has replaced the old CRT well.

Another thing to do to see the real difference is to leave the freeview channel (unless you're going to use it) on the factory settings, then once you've got your sky channel and DVD channels sorted to your personal preference go back after a couple of weeks and see how bad the freeview looks, it was like night and day between them, and thats the big problem for a lot of people, taking the time to work out the best settings for their rooms and what they watch.

One final thing though, if you're not 100% sure about the new TV then it might be best to wait to see the new ones, but you're also going to have to remember that new kit comes out every 6 months and its always billed as being light years ahead of the kit before it.

30. Tman666

Tman666

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Thx this is just what i was looking for im going to wait now, must try and forget about that wad of cash burning a hole in my pocket for the next month or 2