1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Decision on Sub for Kef Q series set-up

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by darrellr, Jul 6, 2004.

1. darrellr

darrellr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I've just aquired the following front 3 for my lounge - Kef Q3 - Q9C - Q3 and I intend to add a pair of Q2DS surrounds when opportunity allows in the next few weeks.

My question is, is a sub going to add anything worthwhile to this? If yes, then what sort of suggestions have people got for a good tonal match. For some reason there isn't a Q-Series sub. (Oh and if any suggestion comes clad in Maple all the better so missus-friendly reasons).

My amp is a Denon AVR-1804 and my room is 7.3 m x 3.7 m (24 foot by 12 foot in old money!) with TV slap bang in the middle of the long side.

2. dishdoc

dishdoc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    hi mate,

I have Kef Q7, Q9, Q2ds and Q1 and the Q range sub, Psw2500. It is available in the same colours as the rest of the range and although I have Q7's the sub still gives me that extra something else.I was always unsure about getting a sub, but am sure that i couldn't live without one, now.

Cheers,

dishdoc :thumbsup:

3. darrellr

darrellr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    :oops: My embarrassment is total!!! I didn't know about the Psw2500 - I must have missed it.

Sorry for being an idiot :blush:

4. Kazman

Kazman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    I have the PSW2500 with my Mordaunt Short setup, it is a lovely sub, musical and great with movies, it will integrate VERY well with the rest of the Q series you have.

5. AMacQ

AMacQ

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm about to buy my first decent system for my home and am also looking to the Kef Q series range.

I'm set on Q7's, but due to the fact I may put a plasma on a wall at some point I'm going to use a KHT 5001 centre. I havent decided on the rears, but guess I'll use KHT 5005's as they'll a match the centre nicely and look well both on their stands on on the wall.

As for the Sub, I've heard the PSW2500 and its nice, but I come from a bass heavy car system, and am worried the small 10" sealed sub wont really satisfy. I've been looking at the PSW4000, a beastly 500w 12" ported sub but dont know if it's worth the expense.

Any ideas ? Anyone experinced the PSW4000 ?

6. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    Potentially the MS909 would suit you, that certainly has the potential to be cranked higher than is usual although the PSW2500 is certainly not short of power.

Or look at some of the SVS models of course, I think the box models might come in maple.

7. Ed Selley

Ed Selley
    AVF Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,222
    The 909 does now come in Maple to boot. I would advise trying to listen to one if you can as they aren't aggresively set up and that can be a disapointment to some.

8. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    What sort of budget by the way? It seems like you're prepared to take quite a jump with the sub compared to your main speakers (definitely a wise move IMHO).

9. Breitling

Breitling
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    can highly reco the psw2500 use 4 myself, psw4000 is ok but the 5000 is a 1000watt beast :devil:

10. Dave Gray

Dave Gray
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I've heard the Kef PSW4000 and found it to be good with movies but a bit slow and wallowy with music. If you were thinking of paying the sort of money for a PSW4000 (£1200ish I think) then consider the SVS option. I imported a SVS PC ultra with all Taxes and import duty for £900 and it is absolutely stunning! 12" Driver, 525watt amp, paramatric EQ, tuned down to a clean 12Hz which tou have to experience to believe! It blends in with my Kef system (see sig) superbly. Don't take my word for it, do a search for SVS or talk to IanJ and friends about it. If you need a demo there are enough of us SVS users around the country that one of us could always show you the power!!! :devil:

11. AMacQ

AMacQ

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have listened to the 909 and to be honest wasnt sure it was enough for me either. I orginally was going to use a set of MS 906's with the 909 sub, but is was after I compared those to the Kef Q5's that i decided to look bigger and better. Then i heard the Q7's and just loved them, but the sub worries me a little. Although this is really my first step into proper home audio, I dont want to have to change or upgrade any of the main components anytime soon. Looking towards the do-it-once, do-it-right way of thinking.

I like to keep everything within a brand, so a Kef sub would be my first
    choice.