• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

decision made, What do you think

wilding

Established Member
Hi guys I think i have come up with my specs for my first HTPC. :) main aim is for blu ray/movie library

I would like to know what you guys think, I was originally planning on going with a graphics on board system but after reading on here have found that non will pass LPCM via my amp.

So here is the plan, advice/opinions welcome.

CASE: thermaltake dh103
PSU: zalman 600w
MOTHERBOARD: asus p5g41-m-intel g41
PROCESSOR: Intel Pentium Dual Core E5300 2.6GHz Socket 775
GRAPHICS: XFX HD 5550 1GB DDR2 HDMI DVI VGA Out PCI-E Graphics Card.
DVD DRIVE: LiteOn IHES208-31 8x Internal Blu-Ray Combo Lightscribe
HDD: 1TB 7200 WD green (Will expand when needed).
RAM: OCZ High performance memory 4gb

probably run Windows 7, not sure weather to go for 32 or 64bit?

MikeK

Prominent Member
Personally I'd go for bog standard memory from a reputable manufacturer, and I'd use 2GB with 32bit Win7.

I'd also go for a silent 350-400W 80plus PSU, and I'd switch the 1GB HD5550 card for a passively cooled 512MB HD5450.

bryanchicken

Established Member
non will pass LPCM via my amp

Are you sure? I haven't checked the latest motherboards but don't most nvidia onboard do lpcm?
I've got an 8200 onboard and also an Ion system (nvidia 9300/9400 i think) and both do lpcm.

Stephen Neal

Distinguished Member
Are you sure? I haven't checked the latest motherboards but don't most nvidia onboard do lpcm?
I've got an 8200 onboard and also an Ion system (nvidia 9300/9400 i think) and both do lpcm.

My Atom+Ion and Core2Duo+nVidia 9400 IGP systems both pass 5.1/7.1 PCM via HDMI to an Onkyo SR606 with no problem (as long as you use HDMI1/DVD as the PC input)

wilding

Established Member
Personally I'd go for bog standard memory from a reputable manufacturer, and I'd use 2GB with 32bit Win7.

I'd also go for a silent 350-400W 80plus PSU, and I'd switch the 1GB HD5550 card for a passively cooled 512MB HD5450.

Hi Mike,

I already have the ram & PSU so will give them a try.:)
Also what would the benefit be to swap to a 512MB? I have heard the 32bit is easier to work with, is this correct?

Thanks for your help Danny

wilding

Established Member
My Atom+Ion and Core2Duo+nVidia 9400 IGP systems both pass 5.1/7.1 PCM via HDMI to an Onkyo SR606 with no problem (as long as you use HDMI1/DVD as the PC input)

now I am confused :rolleyes: can you please point me in the right direction of where I could find the above? and would you recommend this over using a separate graphics card?

Thanks Danny

wilding

Established Member
Last edited:

MikeK

Prominent Member

In that case your decision has already been made!

Also what would the benefit be to swap to a 512MB?

About £25 :) - for bluray playback a 1GB HD5550 will offer no advantage over a 512MB HD5450, but costs more and uses more power!

I have heard the 32bit is easier to work with, is this correct?

Probably not that much in it TBH, esp if you already own the memory.
32bit may be slightly easier I suppose, in that you don't have to maintain different versions of some programs. Most of the programs/apps you'll be using are 32bit anyway, and in a typical HTPC none require access to vast amounts of memory - hence 64bit isn't really needed.
As I said though, there's really not much in it if you are going for 4GB of memory TBH - certainly not enough to really worry about!

wilding

Established Member

In that case your decision has already been made!

Also what would the benefit be to swap to a 512MB?

About £25 :) - for bluray playback a 1GB HD5550 will offer no advantage over a 512MB HD5450, but costs more and uses more power!

I have heard the 32bit is easier to work with, is this correct?

Probably not that much in it TBH, esp if you already own the memory.
32bit may be slightly easier I suppose, in that you don't have to maintain different versions of some programs. Most of the programs/apps you'll be using are 32bit anyway, and in a typical HTPC none require access to vast amounts of memory - hence 64bit isn't really needed.
As I said though, there's really not much in it if you are going for 4GB of memory TBH - certainly not enough to really worry about!

Thanks for your help Mike, appreciate you taking your time out to help. :thumbsup:

Stephen Neal

Distinguished Member
now I am confused :rolleyes: can you please point me in the right direction of where I could find the above? and would you recommend this over using a separate graphics card?

Thanks Danny

The 9400 IGP systems are like hen's teeth now - Intel and nVidia fell out I think - and the E7AUMDS2H Gigabyte board I built my Core2Duo HTPC around is now out of production. There are some small Zotac models still around I think.

The Ion is an Atom CPU with an nVidia 9400M integrated graphics processor on the same motherboard - and copes fine with Blu-ray H264/VC-1/MPEG2 with full hardware acceleration and de-interlacing - but the CPU isn't that powerful - so it depends what you want to do whether that is good enough.

You may be better off with a more powerful CPU and a separate graphics card still - I was simply pointing out you were misinformed if you were under the impression that the Ion/9400 didn't do PCM multi-channel over HDMI - they do...

leon

Established Member
those specs are awesome go for it should run like a dream .

skull_bone

Established Member
You'll get both versions of W7 in the box, and i'd choose 64bit tbh. It's seamless, and hasn't caused me any compatibility issues whatsoever. And if you're planning to run 4gb, it'll make sure you use it all. As for the CPU, i started my first HTPC with onboard graphics and an E1200 CPU. That worked fine, so your CPU will be more than enough. As last reply said, should run like a dream.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom