1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Decision left to the experts...

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by PANNY PRAGUE, Jan 24, 2005.

1. PANNY PRAGUE

PANNY PRAGUE

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi guys,

writing from Prague.

I brought a PW6 (42") about a month ago and on reflection it may have not been the best choice. This choice however is probably my fault because:

- I did not take into account that the viewing distance is probably too close (about 2.5 metres).
    - The display does not have DVI, so it suffers from blurring with full view.

Now, I did decrease the size of the view to about 88cm (36") and did notice the quality and sharpness of picture did increase dramatically; even so, I am very impressed with the picture quality now. However, it seems a little pointless having such a big display taking up so much space if it does not need to.

So, I have come to a decision: by the 37" Vierra or buy the 32" LCD...neither of which has DVI or HD (especially pointless with the LCD). The Vierra is good because the reduced size means better and sharper edges and it has TV tuning, which the wife likes (she's Czech)...so it's good. The LCD is HD, good with DVD's, but as I am going to spend most of the time viewing sky and normal TV and I have the feeling it may not live up to expectations. Or am I wrong about LCD's...as most of my friends out here are pushing for me to get the LCD...but I think the better one is the plasma.

Please could someone confirm that my choice of plasma is the better choice?

Cheers guys.

2. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    PW6 does have DVi....................
    2.5m is very close 3m is normal minimum for a 42" there is also the 37"PW7 if you like the panel styling.....
    PS Welcome to the forum, Prague is a wonderful city.....oh to be back there.....

3. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    No, you need to look again at the connections you are using on the PW7, it should be perfectly acceptable at this distance. You've got a problem with your sourcers or your connections.

4. PANNY PRAGUE

PANNY PRAGUE

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers guys. So, it seems plasma is the way to go. You are right about DVI connection, the website (www.plasmaware.co.uk) was looking at was a bit decieving...they show 2 PW6's, with one having DVI and the other not.

MAW, I did check the connections, using many types of different leads...Oh boy, now that there is DVI for the PW6...I may just have to look at this again????

5. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    are you using the scart board?

6. PANNY PRAGUE

PANNY PRAGUE

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  7. PANNY PRAGUE

PANNY PRAGUE

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Also, I think the best option is to go for the 37" display and buy the DVI...
    Is the 37" display cheaper or more expensive???

8. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    scrap the scart board mat it is useless........
    What are you connecting and how? what is casuing these issues is it DVD? Satellite?

9. PANNY PRAGUE

PANNY PRAGUE

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It's not so much any issues...

If I am perfectly honest, I have a sony DVD player, which produces good picture. The wife wanted normal TV, so a brought a DVD & VHS combo (panasonic)...bad mistake, terrible picture...it made all pictures lifeless.
    I am connecting the DVD player through the Sat receiver, and the sat receiver into the TV.
    When in full screen mode the picture looks gainy and the figures look a little fuzzy (no defined lines); however when the picture is reduced, then the quality dramatically increases.

I am a little fussy with the picture quality.

Also, if it does help, when I reduce the picture size, there is "only sometimes" a white line (sometimes a white flickering line) on the top of the screen...but I believe this to be connection issue.

I agree, scart is crap...also, one interesting point, the guys from Panasonic UK believe you can get a digital scart lead...which means the dvd player output is analog, the lead is digital and it converts back to analogy through the tv...interesting???

10. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +660

Hmm, I wonder if these are the same panasonic guys why say their HDMI input board is 1.1 spec.?? :rolleyes:

what do you mean by zoom the screen in/out?

are you talking about just adjusting the horizontal and vertical size so you have less overscan? if you are this is why you are seeing the white line at the top, it is information you are not meant to see, knock the overscan back a noth or two.

You could really do with getting a JS RGB-component converter and go into your screen via the vga socket.
    This will give you a sharper image and will also beat the 37" viera, oh and save you a load of money, which is also nice ;)