Answered Deciding on a pair of KEF Floor standers...

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Speakers' started by upthechelsea, Feb 18, 2018.

1. upthechelsea

upthechelsea
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all.

I am about to embark upon creating a new Hifi system for my living room, roughly 12ft x 12ft. At first I intend to just use a pair of floor standers as a stereo set up, and in a few months time I will use the floor standers as my left and right front channels in a 5.1 system. The speakers will mostly be used for music, a lot of which will be house/dance and electronic stuff.

Baring all of this in mind, please could you recommend which speakers from the list below I should go for? All will be bought second hand which makes auditioning of them difficult.

- KEF Q500 (roughly £400 second hand), these are meant to sound great but I'm worried i'll be left disappointed by the bass considering the music I listen to.
    - KEF iQ7 (Approx. £300 second hand), how would these compare? Would the bass be adequate without a sub-woofer for bass-heavy music?
    - KEF iQ5 (Roughly £200 used) A cheaper alternative. How would these sound in my system?
    - KEF Reference 104/2. My friend has offered me his pair for £400. I have heard them and they sound great, lovely powerful bass which is what I'm looking for, however for that money I was wondering whether a newer pair like the ones listed above would sound better.

Many thanks.

2. Best Answer:
    Post #3 by Ugg10, Feb 18, 2018 (1 points)
  3. Hixs

Hixs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,673
    The KEF reference will destroy the rest.

4. Ugg10

Ugg10

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,404
    Best Answer
    Had a pair of 104/2’s and regret selling them to this day. These were a £2k speaker in their day. The best mid tone I have heard with a decent base and sweet top end. Needs a decent amount of power to get the best from them, 4ohm iirc but are quite efficient at 92db. I drove them with quad 405mk2 and that sounded good.

Snap them up if they are in good condition and check the woofer rubber surrounds for perishing, can be fixed but go in knowing that. Also have a look in the front vent at the shape of the internal linked drivers and their condition.

KEF 104/2 Reference Audiophile Tower Speakers 104.2 in Original Boxes Serviced! | eBay

If you don’t get the may be worth searching out a reference model 1 or 103/4 and see if that tickles your pickle.

5. gibbsy

gibbsy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,700
    The Reference any day of the week as long as you follow Ugg's advice. But seriously playing house/dance and electronic stuff on the Reference! Sacrilege! I though the Sony ones with the flashing lights were meant for that.:D

6. Ugg10

Ugg10

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,404
    Should add that if there are any issues parts can still be had from Wilmslow Audio as far as I am aware. Mine had a tweeter swap from there when one blew.

7. upthechelsea

upthechelsea
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for your answer! What would you class as a decent amount of power? I know they can handle a lot but what would be the optimal power of the amplifier to have them sounding their best?

Also, how do you think they would perform as part of a 5.1? Would the bass be too overpowering?

Thanks!

8. Ugg10

Ugg10

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,404
    I would say it depends on the type of power, sound a bit strange but look for amps with big transformers to provide good power reserves. But somewhere around the 80-100w would be ok in a domestic setting. You may get away with just a 5.0 but a sub crossed over low just for lfe would be ok, switch it off for music if you can maybe.

Do you have an amp already. Bear in mind that a 5 channel amp will be a similar quality as a 2 channel of approx 1/3 to 1/4 the price I.e. most surround amps are not great at playing 2 channel. If you have the budget get a 2 channel amp with ht bypass and add a 5 channel with pre outs later.

9. gibbsy

gibbsy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,700
    To integrate them into a 5.1 you certainly need to match as close as possible a KEF centre speaker, the surrounds are not so critical but the whole system would be better served by keeping with KEF. As for the bass being overpowering then in a 5.1 the speakers are always set to small with a recommended crossover of 80hz so that sub handles the lower frequencies.

It's been pointed out that receivers are not that good at music as their stereo cousins. I run a Rega amp to drive from fronts for music. Big, big difference even from a high end Denon receiver.

10. upthechelsea

upthechelsea
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Do they have reliability issues then? Don't want to buy them if they are going to go wrong!

11. upthechelsea

upthechelsea
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Why is it so essential to keep the system within KEF if you don't mind me asking?

12. gibbsy

gibbsy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,700
    It will help preserve the timbre especially so of the front three when the sound pans across the front soundfield. Another make, centre, could have a different tonal quality thus losing the overall timbre. It is not so essential for surrounds but still recommended.

13. Ugg10

Ugg10

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,404
    Did you get the 104’s?

14. KenM10759

KenM10759

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +133
    The Reference 104/2 are incredibly good, though with age you do have to be concerned about how they've been used and/or stored. The woofers inside have "donuts" and surrounds that can deteriorate, and the ferro-fluid tweeters can need new fluid. There are technicians familiar with doing the update, and it is VERY worth doing because they are such good speakers when in good condition. Of course, they made need nothing at all. If lovingly used and not ignored, they could very well be just fine. Inspection is everything. And yes, they would smash anything else on that list. I hope you got them!