Deciding betwen slimline AV receiver/amps

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Bunter1815, Oct 18, 2005.

1. Bunter1815

Bunter1815
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi all

I'm looking for my first AV receiver/amp and have decided on a short list of 3, primarily arrived at because they are the only slim form factor AV receiver/amps that I could find.
    They are

Pioneer VSX-C502
    Yamaha RX-SL100RDS
    Cambridge Audio Azur 540R

all around the £300 mark or so...

I will probably end up with this set of speakers,

http://www.mordaunt-short.co.uk/summary.php?PID=25&Title=Premiere 302

I have a seperate hi-fi for music, so musicality isn't high on the priority. I know the Pioneer is discontinued but I think I can still get my hands on one, and as it is the only one here to feature automated set up is coming out as the favourite. EDIT Although the Yamaha does have a built in lip sync which, as we could end up with an LCD screen, may be quite valuable?

The question is, how much does automated set-up really take out of the set up process? I did set up a friends system using the distance table in his manual so I can set up using the rules but automated via a mike seems much more satisfactory. Is it?

And any other comments aiding my choices would be gratefully received.

Many thanks in advance.

Bill

2. alphabet

alphabet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have the CA540R with MS908,905,903 and 309W and I am very happy with it. Originally on my shortlist were Marantz SR4500, SR5500, Denon 2105 and CA 540R and I went for the CA purely based on its sound quality and the headroom that always seem to be available.

Just a word of caution though, if you are looking for bells and whistles, then the CA is not for you as it is a straightforward unit without the add-ons found in other units, but I feel the sound is amazing for the price.

Another receiver that have received high praise(don't laugh!) is the Panasonic XR55 all digital receiver. I had a quick listen to it and despite its looks, it sounds quite good.

3. Slimchandi

Slimchandi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I have the C301, the smaller brother to the C501, got it about a year ago now and it's holding up pretty well. The Scart switching was useful at first when my telly only had a scart socket, but since upgrading to a prog scan crt (always my plan) they are fairly redundant, and component switching would have been infinitely more useful. The setup is fairly basic as I remember, done manually. There are either some generic room settings (S, M, L, XL) or you can set up yourself. This is a simple matter of measuring the distances to the speakers and saying if they are small/large. Also you can set volume level, slightly trickier if you dont have an SPL meter. I guess this is the only matter which could be improved using a mic, but not by an awful lot if you have an SPL meter.

I'm happy with the sound from it, not as good as my Marantz dedicated amp/cd which has long left the roost to fun the AV dream. Beware they don't have any dedicated phono inputs, so all your analog audio must be fed by Scart, or digitally. I'm sure this amp will do me for a few good years yet but the ads are always calling me.

4. pragmatic

pragmatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,647
    The CA is not really slim line as the other are, be warned of this, its more of a middle size between the pioneer and yamaha mentioned and a normal sized amp for example a yamaha 757.

If you want feature or performance your more likely to get them from a larger amp, smaller ones a mainly just for astetics, they will perform better than an all in one but just keep this in mind. Also there is nothing wrong with picking some more becuase of how it looks, over functionality. Choose whats important to you.

5. chedmaster

chedmaster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    the CA will def sound the best (imo) but it may chuck out too much heat to fit in to a "slimline" slot. you need at least an inch above it, although it does have a fan in case things get nasty :)

6. Bunter1815

Bunter1815
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks to all those replies. I found out today that the Pioneer has a lip sync for the centre channel as well as the auto calibration set up thing, as well as 5 stars from what hi-fi. Without the time to demo it has definitely has the edge.

Thanks again

Bill