Question Deciding between a 2017 Vizio M70-E3 and a TCL 65R617 and could use some help

Discussion in 'What Is The Best TV For You?' started by FunkTrain98, Jul 14, 2018.

Tags:
  1. FunkTrain98

FunkTrain98
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello everyone, I recently purchased a new TV. It is a Vizio M70-E3. I was wanting to get into the 4K game as well as have full HDR support. I want the best possible picture I can get for under $1000. This seems like it might be it. Only thing I see is the new TCL 6 series. I’m considering sending back the TV (It hasn’t arrived yet and would be an easy switch). What I’m wondering though is would the TCL 6 series have much of a better screen quality if any? I’m also wondering because the 6-series would be 65” and the Vizio is 70. I’d prefer 70 but if the 6 series is going to be a vastly better picture quality then I’ll go with it. I know it has more dimming zones and all of that. I can read reviews and tables all day long but I was hoping to get some advice from people who have used the TVs or know more than I do. I should probably add that I will be mostly focusing on 4K HDR content and gaming on an Xbox One X. Also viewing angle will be right on and distance will be far enough to notice a size difference but not be too far to make it a deal breaker. I’ve read some stuff on rtings.com and the like. I’m basically wondering if I should cancel the order on the Vizio and get a TCL or if there won’t be a major difference because again I’d like the 70 inch size but if it’s a drastically better picture I’ll go with the 65 inch TCL

Thanks.

2. Dodgexander

Dodgexander

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,407
    I don't have experience with either TV, it might be hard to find someone here who does, most posters here are from Europe where those models aren't sold.

If one TV has more dimming zones that's usually a large deal breaker with HDR. With HDR it's even more important for a TV to have local dimming so it can separate light from dark a lot more effectively. It does depend how effective the local dimming system is though, some TVs are better with local dimming when they have less zones.

Looking at the comparison here to shows the TCL as the better TV overall:
    TCL R617 vs Vizio M Series 2017 Side-by-Side TV Comparison - RTINGS.com

Including local dimming better on the TCL..in fact every part of the picture is better on the TCL.

So it looks like the TCL is the winner, as for how good of a panel you get, well that depends on the panel gods when you enter the panel lottery. You can get good and bad on any TV.

I own a 65" UHD TV and I can tell you that you need to view very close to benefit from UHD, about 4ft is optimum and at 8ft you will struggle to notice a difference between sources of equal quality, but of course viewing so close to some people isn't possible/comfortable.

What prices do you have on both TVs? The TCL looks like a new 2018 model whilst the Vizio a 2017 model and usually the 2018 models having just been released fetch a premium.

3. FunkTrain98

FunkTrain98
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I found the 2017 m series for $880 and the best I’ve seen on the TCL so far is $970.

4. Dodgexander

Dodgexander

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,407
    That's quite competitively priced for a new model even if it is $100 more expensive and 5" smaller. I would go for the TCL personally since it seems like the best TV. If you can adjust your seating closer to get a good field of view then even better.

5. FunkTrain98

FunkTrain98
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Okay. I don’t need the TV right away. I’m moving in about a month but I’d like the TV then. I’ll see where prices go in that time. Thanks for all the info.

6. Dodgexander

Dodgexander

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,407
    If you can wait until black friday you will up your chances of picking up a better deal, just depends if the models you are interested in at that time drop into your budget :)