Deciding between 706 and 856

quovadisbg

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hello.

After quite a lot of reading here and there (mainly here) I am struggling to find which TV to replace my current 55PUS8303 (IPS) which has been serving me quite well for the past almost 3 years.

I really got into the Ambilight thing and really enjoy it. Have some Hue Color GU10 bulbs above my head while watching and really enjoy it. Having that said I am not a heavy TV user - mainly movies/tv shows played through Shield TV Pro 2019 - during the week normally TV is used after 7PM until..10-11PM. All content is on my NAS PC and mainly using Kodi/Plex to play it on the current TV. Occasionally throughout the weekend it might be used during the bright part of the day but that's very rare occasion. As a bonus I am thinking of hooking up my NAS/gaming PC - it has a RTX3080 so want to enjoy playing Forza Horizon 4/5 (if that's achievable), not a console player (never been). Still have my PS4 Pro but using it once or twice every month - just to add PS+ games to my library :D.

Currently have a Denon X1200W which soon I plan to be replaced with X3700h due to the 4k/120Hz so I can use it properly. In that regard - sound from the TV does not concern me in any way - have a pair of B&W 606 and HTM6 and I'm happy with them, thinking of 2 atmos speakers, and probably a sub (still waiting for normal price of the KC62 from KEF) in the near future, when getting the new AVR.

Remote control - barely using my current one since all I need is the Shield/Denon remote to control everything. On top of that have the Harmony Elite, so not really an issue with the remote.

Stand... it will be wall mounted, so that also does not concern me. There is probably no way to get back to tv leg stands again.

My question though after that long explanation - currently have the option to grab a 55OLED706 for ~900€ which seems like a decent price. At the same time there is 55OLED856 for 1100€. Which one you can recommend me most? All I've read about the 806/856 is that it has quite a lot of downsides if you want the 120Hz/G-Sync things in place, can't find anything really about 706 having these issues whatsoever.

Thank you in advance for your recommendations :)

the nuance in 4k 120 VRR (g-sync) is that the vertical resolution will be cut off due to hardware limitation of soc mediatek. That said, 4k 60 VRR is possible. Either a 4k 120 game WITHOUT VRR, or a 4k 120 VRR game instead of 3840x2160 - 3840x1080. In games, there is almost no difference in the picture. noticeably on fonts

P.s. in real 4k 120 (WITHOUT DLSS, which is not real 4k) your 3080 will not be able to show 120 fps. 3090 - too. 6900хt - too. so you don't need 4k 120.

and forza is not the strongest game)

Hello.

After quite a lot of reading here and there (mainly here) I am struggling to find which TV to replace my current 55PUS8303 (IPS) which has been serving me quite well for the past almost 3 years.

I really got into the Ambilight thing and really enjoy it. Have some Hue Color GU10 bulbs above my head while watching and really enjoy it. Having that said I am not a heavy TV user - mainly movies/tv shows played through Shield TV Pro 2019 - during the week normally TV is used after 7PM until..10-11PM. All content is on my NAS PC and mainly using Kodi/Plex to play it on the current TV. Occasionally throughout the weekend it might be used during the bright part of the day but that's very rare occasion. As a bonus I am thinking of hooking up my NAS/gaming PC - it has a RTX3080 so want to enjoy playing Forza Horizon 4/5 (if that's achievable), not a console player (never been). Still have my PS4 Pro but using it once or twice every month - just to add PS+ games to my library :D.

Currently have a Denon X1200W which soon I plan to be replaced with X3700h due to the 4k/120Hz so I can use it properly. In that regard - sound from the TV does not concern me in any way - have a pair of B&W 606 and HTM6 and I'm happy with them, thinking of 2 atmos speakers, and probably a sub (still waiting for normal price of the KC62 from KEF) in the near future, when getting the new AVR.

Remote control - barely using my current one since all I need is the Shield/Denon remote to control everything. On top of that have the Harmony Elite, so not really an issue with the remote.

Stand... it will be wall mounted, so that also does not concern me. There is probably no way to get back to tv leg stands again.

My question though after that long explanation - currently have the option to grab a 55OLED706 for ~900€ which seems like a decent price. At the same time there is 55OLED856 for 1100€. Which one you can recommend me most? All I've read about the 806/856 is that it has quite a lot of downsides if you want the 120Hz/G-Sync things in place, can't find anything really about 706 having these issues whatsoever.

Thank you in advance for your recommendations :)
One thing to be aware of with the 856 is there is a gap in the bottom Ambilight where the stand fits. If this is going to be an issue then the 806, which is identical but doesn't have a gap, would be a better option.

the nuance in 4k 120 VRR (g-sync) is that the vertical resolution will be cut off due to hardware limitation of soc mediatek. That said, 4k 60 VRR is possible. Either a 4k 120 game WITHOUT VRR, or a 4k 120 VRR game instead of 3840x2160 - 3840x1080. In games, there is almost no difference in the picture. noticeably on fonts

P.s. in real 4k 120 (WITHOUT DLSS, which is not real 4k) your 3080 will not be able to show 120 fps. 3090 - too. 6900хt - too. so you don't need 4k 120.

and forza is not the strongest game)

Can we stop saying these TVs don't need 4K/120 as high end graphics cards won't be able to show 120fps? What is your basis? Just the latest and greatest highly taxing games - Cyberpunk etc that can't reach this?

There are literally 1000s of games that will happily achieve 120fps in 4K on a RTX3080 that people might want to play on these TVs - Just in the last few days I have played the new Monster Hunter Rise that is releasing this week comfortably at 4K/120, Psychonauts 2 4K/120, Halo Infinite 4K/120 + pretty much every last gen game that I might want to play. This is PC, there are no end of games that will run at 4K/120 with the newest graphics cards.

And for @quovadisbg OP, the 706 will have 4K/120/VRR issues exactly the same as the 806/856. It is a problem on all Philips 2021 OLED TVs..

Thanks, @goonerbyron , that was the kind of answer I was looking for. Unfortunately that to some extent shows that the 2021 OLED lineup is not what I am looking for and based on Philips's last year release and hitting to market, at least ours (Bulgarian) is more than pathetic :(. So, if I want to go for something which will work out of the box - I should change the brand and it looks like only LG are fair priced and have the features, which means abandoning the Ambilight.

I had same problem to be honest... I need 65OLED and my price range is maximum 1300 pounds...

Had to decide between philips 706 vs lg b1/c1 (slightly too expensive).

Lg is better for gaming but for me ambilight is way more immersing than full 4k 120fps vrr etc.
I play on series x so it's not a huge deal for me anyway as its not that powerful.

So I'm just waiting for small price drop (I hope for 1100-1200)

So I'm just waiting for small price drop (I hope for 1100-1200)
Snap, I've been keeping an eye on the prices of the same sets but we got an Ambilight tv for our son least year and find it quite impressive. I seem to recall the 706 hitting £1200 at AO back in November so that's the most I'm willing to pay for it. I have also been looking at the pml9506 as a possible alternative and should the 75" get a decent price reduction I may go for that instead.

I've skipped AO deal due to just 1 year warranty tbh..

There was a 1234ish deal from spatial on ebay recently.

But still quite too much lol :D

I've skipped AO deal due to just 1 year warranty tbh..

There was a 1234ish deal from spatial on ebay recently.

But still quite too much lol :D
Yes the warranty thing was what held me back then too! I'm hopeful that March-April will see the prices plummet and hope a good deal is found then.

I was pretty sure that philips will show new models on CES2022 and maybe prices will go down anytime soon but they didn't show anything (?)

Maybe they plan to launch newer sets later in the year, I hope not as I'm itching to buy now but need to be patient at the same time

706 has all the “downsides” you mention in the OP, plus a dimmer/less bright panel and 3 sided ambilight.

That said the 856 is inferior to the 806 due to the gap in bottom Ambilight where the stand goes.

do not agree. 3080 cannot show 120fps anywhere in new games and in those that you wrote

1 Halo Infinite тест 2021 | Action / FPS / TPS | Тест GPU

halo 3080 will not pull 120 fps.

2. Psychonauts 2 - will work on a calculator). bad example

3. Monster Hunter Rise is the same. A very weak game. bad example

Wherein:

1. 4k 120 - you can. In monitor mode. Real 4k 120 4: 4: 4.

2. 4k 120 VRR - you can. But there will be less vertical resolution. In games - practically invisible

3. What's stopping you from using 4k 60 VRR? After all, 60 fps is often the maximum that the rtx 3080 can do and the maximum that the xbox x or PS5 can (it has no VRR at all)

i have xbox x. I play 4k 60 vrr and everything is super.

Sony TVs on the same mediatek chip - NO VRR AT ALL! Just like on PS5. And now what?) Buy place philips or sony LG? At the same time, they are all better than LG. LG is better than Phillips only in that its chip is capable of 4k 120 VRR, and the Phillips chip cuts the resolution. But as a universal TV, the 706-806 is better than the LG b1 c1. GAMES ARE NOT ONLY IMPORTANT!
Ы!

Demanding games will only play 4k 120fps with less eye candy. Personally I prefer maximum eye candy and slightly lower resolution. I guess average console gamers blindly choose 4k because they want best possible picture quality -and doesn't know any better...
If you prefer 4k (and less eye candy) I guess VRR is important because fps will likely drop below 120 in more demanding scenes.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom