1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Decided to go with Toshiba DLP

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by soni, Jan 1, 2005.

1. soni

soni
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    After several months of consideration, I've finally decided to go with the Tosh DLP.

The recent 5 star review within What Widescreen TV, the £1500.00-£1600.00 price tag, and of course the positive feedback within these forums, have been whats persuaded me the most, however if i had the spare cash, i must admit i would probably go for a high end Plasma.

I've noticed that there has been a lot of debate on which is the best out of Plasma and DLP, but i think its all down to cost at the end of the day.

How much would a 46" - 50" Hi End Hi Def Plasma display cost?? I really havn't seen one but would probably estimate somewhere within the region of £4000.00 - £6000.00. For the same price of the Tosh DLP, i would be lucky to pick up a very basic entry level plasma. With the above points in mind, i can quite easily justify my decision.

My quesion prior to ordering is this: Can the bulbs in DLP rear projection blow easily? I have a nasty habit of racing around and switching lights on only to hear a pop as the light bulb blows! This would be a very costly excerise if this could happen with the TV, are any readers experienced in light bulbs? I've read somewhere within these forums that a certain member is a lightbulb engineer or something?

Also, what websites in your opinions would be the most reputable? I'm not for one minute casting any speculations but i just worry of the posibility of recieving a faulty returned unit - as the prices are somewhat cheaper than high street prices - obviously lower overheads - but i would rather go on recommendation!

2. lee31

lee31

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Empire with no problems at all

The "Lamp" shouldnt be affected by lights on & off unless you've had a botch job done on the wiring of your house electrics

I recommend however that you extend the warranty as the lamp is covered by the warranty - play on words - if it was called a buld, it would NOT be covered but as its called a lamp, it is !!

3. thekingbeyond

thekingbeyond

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +274
    A good surge protector would help prevent this type of problem

4. soni

soni
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Yeah thanks guys, its just the house bulbs only seem to blow when i switch them on, and the wife reckons its where i race about to quickly and generate to much static eletricity. I just didn't want the same to happen to the TV when i switch that on! I have allready purchased a decent surge protector all ready to rock and roll when the TV arrives so hopefully that will help!

Does Empire include the stand within the price now? As i did read within the forums that they didn't?

5. Chris5

Chris5

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +122
    house-hold lamps are not designed for longevity as they are 'cheap as chips'. Projector lamps are different.

ps, you were joking about static charge.... weren't you?

6. soni

soni
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Not at all, you should see the amount of bulbs i've blown! Not to mention the amount of shocks i get at work when touching the photocopier or door handles.

I remember one particular time quite well, got in from shopping with the mrs, she let me go to the bathroom before her, bulb blew, went to the bedroom, bulb blew, i got a severe ear bashing!

7. Chris5

Chris5

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +122
    You cant blow a lightbulb with static electricity as static has no current, only voltage

You probably changed both bulbs previously at the same time, hence they both burned out together.

Trust me I'm a doctor. (well alright, I'm not really but I have a HNC in Electronic Engineeering)

8. Chris5

Chris5

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +122
    Anyway you can't blow up the TV as for to get CE approval, the TV has to pass the strict Hi-Voltage directive

9. Carl_Docklands

Carl_Docklands

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Soni - i trialled the 50inch HXE Pioneer set prior to my purchase of the tosh. Its a really nice piece of kit but i have to be honest and say i preferred the tosh as its easier to live with on a day-to-day basis and i would sooner spend the £2500-3000 saved on beer. The picture quality on the tosh has an edge with most dvd material (but the pioneer does have its moments) with the proviso that you use a DVI/HDMI feed rather than component.

I will probably trade the tosh in 2006 for a 50inch Sharp LCD set once they have come down in price far enough !

10. lee31

lee31

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes, stand included @ Empire

11. soni

soni
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Thanks guys.

Carl - Funny, i've just been looking through this months What Widescreen TV and was looking at the Pioneer PDP-435FDE Plasma which i believe is HI-Def but the £3,200.00 price tag puts me off a little. Although i might be able to get it a little cheaper on line. I would like to go for the Tosh, but i'm a little concerned about the reported blurred faces. I'll definately have to take a second look at the picture on the Tosh prior to ordering. I don't want to invest in this latest technology if its got picture quality problems. I've got a really brilliant picture on a Tosh 28" 100HZ at present, and there seems little point spending more money for a less quality picture. If its not going to be the Tosh, it definately won't be the Optoma, there's little else left in the DLP or Hi-Def department, so i might have to fork out more and go down the Plasma path, not that i really wan't to, as i also want to purchase the Denon DVD 2910 player. Looks like the extra money sitting in the bank for home improvements might have to be drained a little more - afterall, AV comes first!!!!!!!!!

12. Jeff1967

Jeff1967

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Unit is great except for the disappointment of the lamp blowing after only 5months. Toshiba has issued a response and if you enter your model # and serial # it will direct you how to get a new one for free. They have also uped the warranty to 2 years on replacement of lamp. I went ahead and purchased another lamp to have a back in case this happens again. $200.00 at local Cincinnati TV repair shop. TV Electronics on Harrison Ave. FYI:clap: