1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Decided to go Arcam dv....but which one??

Discussion in 'Arcam Owners' Forum' started by PTG, Jan 7, 2005.

Tags:
  1. PTG

PTG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Morning all,

Been thinking about upgrading my Pioneer DV737 which will now be used on my PWD6 Plasma.

I would like a few of your views on the following;

Looking to upgade my projector and like the look of the Infocus 5700 which will be fed by component as these cables are already in place through the plaster board wall.

So getting to the point which player, I am only interested in straight CD playback and DVD picture quality.

DV78 £699 New model
    or
    DV88+ £499 retail was £1000 but older model

Is the picture quality much different on these two players? I will be having a demo soon with the DV78 and 5700 but would also like the arcam forums guidance, any views would be much appreciated. ;)

Thx PTG

Anyone seen the above any cheaper.

2. RaceTripper

RaceTripper
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    If you're using component video, picture quality on the DV79 and DV88 Plus will be about the same, as they both use the same MPEG decoder and deinterlacer (Zoran Vaddis V).

The DV88 Plus, however, can be upgraded with the Silicon Image SiI504 deinterlacer (same as used in DV27A) for a worthwhile improvement in video. This is what I have and am very pleased with it. I compared my upgraded player on component to the DV79 on HDMI and (in my opinion) my player is at least as good as the HDMI connected DV79, at least on my Samsung DLP display.

If you want DVD-A then the DV79 is the better choice as the DV88 Plus doesn't support it without an additional upgrade.

You won't go wrong either way. They are both excellent players.

3. PTG

PTG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for that dwette.

Your first line has the answer.

Both are similar in Picture quality is what I was after, so just need to decide now.

P.s Can't wait to see for myself...roll on the demo.

4. andyasb

andyasb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    How about tracking down a DV27A? Over component the best picture available from any Arcam IMHO, and great CD / DVD sound too....

5. RaceTripper

RaceTripper
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Agree. For component video, the DV27A is the player to beat.