Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Decided to dump the aging seperates for a Micro System

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by Zarch, Oct 18, 2003.

1. Zarch

Zarch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +828
    Scandalous Subject line I know.

But my old Kenwood prologic amp and CD player along with Aiwa tape deck and a pair of Mission 760's. All nearly 10 years old are taking up too much desk space in my computer room. I dont use the amp for surround anymore (just my run PC thru it), the tape deck hasn't been used for the ages, although I still do use the cd player. I've also got a Gale mini monitor centre speaker and a pair of wharfedale in the loft that used to be my surrounds in my old house.

So for the use that lot is getting i might as well get rid and get a little mini/micro system. As long as its got a line input so i put my PC into it.

So anyone recommend a unit with a CD player, tuner and a line input? I dont want to spend too much. £100-£150.

Also, does anyone want to buy any of that little lot off me? I'm in Sheffield!! Just PM me for more details/pictures etc.

Any help would be very much appreciated

Cheers

Mick

2. WhyAyeMan

WhyAyeMan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +292
    Try and stretch to a Denon DM-31 from Richer Sounds mate, you'll need your own speakers though, but they have excellent sound for the money.

3. Zarch

Zarch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +828
    Thanks for that Paul.

I've done some hunting around and i've found a distinct lack of inputs on lower priced systems. Also, the "look" of the majority of the sub £200 units is terrible. They appear to want to look as hi-tech as possible, but to me look appalling. I prefer the chrome, basic look. Not the "houston control" look, if you know what i mean??

One thing i have noticed from looking around is that even the cheapest Sony models do have a line input on the back. I have listened to a couple of models and the one that has caught my eye (and ear) so far is the CMTCPX1. £199 in Dixons (£147 thru kelkoo). Isnt it scandalous the price difference. I feel sorry for people who still shop in the high street.

The details of the unit are here.... http://www.rgbdirect.co.uk/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=1416&ReferrerCode=1

It sound really "meaty" like it has some power behind it compared to the cheaper Sony unit (CMTEP515).

I had seen the Denon unit on Richer sounds but was put off by the lack of speakers. I would really like to get a "matching" set. This bumps the price on the Denon over £250 with the speakers. :-(
    Although i'm sure my aging Mission 760's will do the job if required.

I'm hopefully gonna check out a few more stores at lunchtime. but i'm not sure i'll see much better than the Sony above for the money.

Anyone else got any thoughts?

Cheers

Mick

4. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    I use a Sony system for this reason (smaller and definitely the cheapest way to get CD, MD, tuner and tape) CMT-CP500MD is the model no. but it's a few years old.

Very good sound and a meaty amplifier inside which runs the Mission 701s I've connected very well indeed. It did sound good with the old speakers it came with (which are now my rear surrounds), but obviously they don't begin to compare with "proper" hifi speakers.

5. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,218
    The denon speakes are missions if you wanted new ones get a pair of M30i or M71i's there is a Sony 70 in the model number AJ Electronic do it £139 demoed it in Dixons with a mate and it sounded so much better than the other system similar price etc as a stereo in and optical out as well.

6. Zarch

Zarch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +828
    Right, i've listened to the Sony GP7 (2x50) £128, it didn't seem have enough power about it though. The speakers sounded tinny in comparison to the TCPX1 which is still winning the race at the moment.

I couldnt find the Sony 70 model anywhere so was unable to test it Dragon.

I've managed to kop a listen to the Denon recommended above too. The clarity of the unit sounded great but there was something missing about it, it didn't sound like there was enough bass about it. My local superfi had the unit and speakers for £250, not a bad price. But thats 100 notes more than the Sony TCPX1 (£199 dixons/£147 t'internet) which i really like the sound of.

So i think i've made my mind up that the Sony is for me.

Unless anyone else has got any pearls of wisdom?

Speak now or forever hold your peace.

Cheers

Mick

7. gringottsdirect

gringottsdirect
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Sony CMT-CPX1, EISA award winning S-Master digital amplifier topography, 70 watts RMS per channel and good quality speakers.
    Why Denon DM-30 / DM-31 wins such high praise in magazines so consistantly ? It sounds thin and weedy compared to most, and since Denon sourced their minis from China rather than Japan, the reliability has suffered.
    If you speak to any Denon dealer reference DM-30 and even worse the triple disc DM-50 they will tell you they are far inferior to their predecessors regarding build quality.
    The chameleon chrome looks nice, and of course Denon have their two year guarantee, best of all, allegedly dealer margins are more substantial than wafer thin Sony pittance, but maybe that's of little interest to you. :cool:

8. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,218
  9. Zarch

Zarch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +828
    I did listen that one HornyD. But i felt the £200 quid Sony sounded much better.

Thanks for taking the time to look that up for me though.

Cheers

Mick

10. Zarch

Zarch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +828
    Bought the TCPX1 and it sounds pretty good and i've now got loads of room on my desk! hurrah!

Only disappointing thigs the length of the speaker cable supplied. around 2 metres.

I can't replace this with new because its hardwired into the back of the speakers and the end that goes into the hifi has some strange ends on them i've never seen before.

Are the connectors Sony only connectors? ideally i'd like to buy some cable extenders cos i dont fancy hacking at the cables and speakers after only having it for a week.

Any ideas?

11. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    I added some springclip connectors to the back of my Sony speakers so I could use longer cable.

Very simple, make a hole in the bag, solder the internal cable to the new connectors and reattach.

I didn't notice a drop in quality, but they're weren't great speakers to begin with.