Decided on TT, need help with amp & speakers...

EJLP

Novice Member
New but learning as I go, but I need some help on speakers and an amp for my setup. I know sound is subjective and some will love speakers for different reasons and for different listening styles. I know only one certainty; that I will be getting the Rega Planar 3 and upgrading the cart to the Exact 2. Other than that, I've decided I want passive speakers, so obviously I need an amp too.

I know prices can be insane on one end and cheap waste of money on the other. I think I am somewhere in between. I want audiophile quality, but I'm not read to spend thousands on each component of the setup. As far as amps go, The two price points that seem to be competitive for consideration are around the $500 mark and the $1000 mark. What amp/amps would you suggest that fall within that range? I looked at the Rega Brio and the NAD D 3020 V2, but im open to more expensive and better quality amps you might suggest.

Next, of course, is the speakers. Only searching for a day, but the KEF R300 and the DALI Oberons seem to come up a lot. Not partial to anything yet so fully open to whatever you'd suggest would be best to complete the TT & amp setup. (My listening style is mostly classic rock. Elton John, Pink Floyd, with some Sigur Ros thrown in)

Thanks for any help and guidance!

gibbsy

Welcome to the Forum.

I should point out that this is a UK based Forum and pricing in USD will be down to our American members.

You have the Rega TT so it would make sense to stick with Rega for the amp. The Brio would be amp bang on budget with the Elex-R being a good step forward. As for speakers the KEF R300s would be on the secondary market as they have been replaced by the equally excellent R3. I've been running a Rega Elicit-R with the R300s for a number of years and it really is a good partnership.

The R300s are quite hard to drive and so the room they are going to be in will be a factor in picking the amp to drive them. The bigger the room, especially an open plan type, would need more power to get the best out of them.

I'm not a Dali fan as I find them a little too bright for my taste. The three way R300s have a very good and melodic treble performance and very quick bass response.

Another difference that may make a difference in choosing a Rega amp is the Elex-R (and Elicit-R) do not have a headphone circuit but the Brio does if this is important to you.

coruja

I think you need to listen your turntable with some amps and speakers - regardless of what they are.

Only then will you be able to think about the sound you are after.

Is it possible for you to audition some speakers and amps?

ItsNotAllSnakeOil

Agree with Coruja, if you can audition then great. For what it is worth i am currently running the Quad Vena 2 Play into some Dali Oberon 5's and it sounds lovely to me. I have played the Dali's through a variety of amps and never sounded bright to me at all, especially not through the Quad. I do have a turntable and the phono stage built into the amp sounds better than my previous Rega Fono so that's a bonus. There is a non-Play version of the Vena 2 if you don't need a streaming option, and this is even cheaper.

Last edited:

Hawklord

I'm really happy with my Rega & KEF combo and recommend Yamaha to complement them.

I mainly listen to heavy rock and metal.

EJLP

Novice Member
I think you need to listen your turntable with some amps and speakers - regardless of what they are.

Only then will you be able to think about the sound you are after.

Is it possible for you to audition some speakers and amps?
Im honestly not sure if any in person stores around me sell anything high end like im looking for, but I will certainly begin looking into it.

EJLP

Novice Member
Another difference that may make a difference in choosing a Rega amp is the Elex-R (and Elicit-R) do not have a headphone circuit but the Brio does if this is important to you.
Yeah the amp will have to have a headphone jack for sure.

gibbsy

I do run a headphone amp alongside my Elicit-R which is connected via the dedicated line-out. It's another expensive one which I was happy to do because the Elicit is sooooo good.:)

coruja

Im honestly not sure if any in person stores around me sell anything high end like im looking for, but I will certainly begin looking into it.
Make a day of it!

Find out where the nearest town/city where you might be able to listen to a few systems, schedule a session in a couple of shops, grab a couple of your favourite CDs and LPs and go. (Also do your research in to a couple of pubs where you can recover from your exhausting research & tidy up your notes, and possibly reward yourself with a pint and a nice lunch!)

This is a very interesting and enjoyable part of the process and you will learn a lot.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Panasonic JZ2000 Final Thoughts - TV Calibration: Should you? And More...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom