1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Decided on the TX100, question thuogh?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by bonfigli, Feb 24, 2005.

1. bonfigli

bonfigli

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have "FINALLY" decided on the TX100, no changing my mind.

But I have a question regarding the quality of cable tv though the pj.

This is where my totaly newbie'ness is exposed.

The pj is 1280x720 res, but I believe that the pal output of my cable tv is much lower! does this mean I should expect blocky looking results on a 100" projection???

If this is the case, am I not better getting a cheaper projector with lower resolution if my tv/dvd player isn't going to use it???

I know that is a pathetic question, but I've been caught up in the hype of getting a high res pj, that I don't know if I actually need it????

Cheers

Bonfigli

2. Kopite4Ever

Kopite4Ever

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Liverpool: European Capital of Football 2005/2006
    Ratings:
    +76
    cant really help you as such regarding the cable tv. people seem to have more success routing sky,cable through a pc using a capture card then upscaling to good results.

ive had that pj up since sunday and after about 11 hrs yes 11 hrs of tweaking ive finally got an excellent picture though dvd. im very happy with my purchase. High Def stuff looks out of this world im simply amazed everytime i put it on. one thing with not just this pj but prob all pj's if the source isnt good then the picture will not be much cop, that goes on material as well.

3. bonfigli

bonfigli

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the quick response.

Didn't realise that capturing through pc was an option.

This is starting to get expensive...lol

Can you get dvd players that output closer to the tx100 res??? or are you limited with the actual dvd???

Never done enough research on this obviously, sorry for wasting everyones time with these questions.

Bonfigli

4. Kopite4Ever

Kopite4Ever

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +76
    yes you can get dvd that upscale dvd to 720p for example. they start at £200 for the panasonic S97 all the way up to arcam and pioneer 868. then it becomes exspensive indeed. if you can use a pc use that for dvd as well assuming the spec is up to the job. more time is needed to play with it but the end result will beat all dvd players :thumbsup:

5. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +562
    Thought you weren't going to change your mind? ;)

Like any projector, you should look at the package, not just the res. Cheaper could mean "less" in other areas as well as the res. And remember some people view anything which is less than 5K as cheap to start with.

For DVD the scale-up has to happen somewhere, whether it's in the DVD player or the projector itself.

To be honest the main reason I went for the Hitachi was that it seemed to be the cheapest WXGA machine around at the time, I (perhaps wrongly when my main source is DVD) thought that higher res would mean a fundamentally better/more detailed pic.

Knowing more now, I still wouldn't swap it, though now the Infocus 4805 has dropped to £999 I'd probably try a little harder to give it an audition...PJ

6. bonfigli

bonfigli

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Basically I think Id need to get an HTPC in order to get the full benefit from the cable/dvd/PJ.

Does anyone ever sell them on the classified adverts forum???

Cheers

Bonfigli

7. Kopite4Ever

Kopite4Ever

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +76
    yes they do get sold from time to time but you can spec a decent one up for half the price of a top end dvd player

dont worry if you decide on a pj then change ur mind. i was going in at the bottom with a AE100 then thought hmm i want a AE300 then i thought if your doing it your doing it right and opted for the HD Hitachi :D

8. TT9

TT9

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    bonfigli,

Well done on a choice of projector. I would NOT make any HTPC purchase decision until you have settled with your projector and accustomed to what it can offer and where its perceived failings are.

HTPC, for some, can be a world of absolute pain. They are a tinkerman's dream and if you persevere, yes you can get a fantastic picture, but i don't think any better than what you can with a regular HC scaler. Think very carefully before going this route, and at least be prepared to research the software/hardware/settings so you can get the quality you want. Also, I am not convinced about the sound reproduction with some of these although I am spoiled myself with the toploading DVD32R so I am a bit spoiled in the audio department. Many have gone the HTPC route with great success, and likewise many have left this route.

Your projector will have an internal scaler which it will try at best to fit the incoming image onto the sized output. I began myself with a HS10 and this did a fantastic job with scaling. I was absolutely wow'd, and all of this with an interlaced toshiba dvd signal. This is going back a bit now so I think that your projector will have newer and better electronics to give an excellent image. I don't think you will be disappointed at all.

Please resist the temptation to try HTPC yet until you are sure that you demand a better picture than what you are getting. And if you find yourself at this point, examine the IScan, Lumagen, Crystalio options too. (although a scaler costing 2+ times the price of the projector is a little OTT !).

Best Wishes
    Steve

9. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +562
    I concur. I started with my existing DVD player via SVHS, and was blown away. Then progressed to the 100 quid Pio 575 via component, and was even more blown away.

I haven't got time to fiddle with a PC (though for some reason I've got time to input to these forums :confused: ) hence I'm sticking with a simple DVD player for now!...PJ

10. bonfigli

bonfigli

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks guy's for restoring my faith.....

I was tempted just to forget the whole thing as I convinced myself I needed a HTPC to enjoy the full spec of the pj

I just had a feeling that a pal signal from cable tv would look awful as the scaling would make the image blocky.

I do intend to use it primarily for dvd's, occasionally cable, ps2 and the output from my pc.

I don't think the Mrs will thank you guy's though :)