Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Decided on speakers, now which Denon?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by sean in singers, Oct 10, 2004.

1. sean in singers

sean in singers
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a pioneer 434 and have been looking to buy a the rest of the kit to go with it. My speaker dilemma is now over. I started off wanting big fronts, but the wife's objections and two young kids soon put an end to that. I decided on smaller stand mounted speakers and went shopping yesterday. I was given an excellent demo of the Mordaunt-Short Genie's; I was blown away by what such small speakers could achieve. Also picked up What-hifi, and their review confirmed this (always nice to read a review after you've had the demo!). Chink-chink, speaker purchase done.

Now I need to buy a DVD and receiver; struggling between the Denon 2805/2910 or 3805/3910 combo. I live in Singapore, the price difference between the two combos is around S$800 (about 300 quid). From all that I've read all 4 pieces of kit are excellent; just don't know if I would see/hear the difference with these speakers. My usage will be 50/50, DVD and music.

Views?

Cheers
    Sean

2. NC11

NC11

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    u should also look at the pioneer combo - AX5ai + 868 DVD. well within the denon's budget , and some find it better suited. will nicely complement yr 434 as well.

also worth considering a seperate CD player given the 50\50 comment u made before.

3. sean in singers

sean in singers
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the feedback, although I am pretty set on the Denon, the Pioneer here is the 969 and it's only available in a gold colour, plus it's actually more expensive than the 3910. I doubt that there is really much between them, not that I could pick up anyway.

The CD sound was pretty good when I had the demo; the reason I am considering spending more on the setup is I am hoping to have decent music quality so I don't have to invest in a CD player. Perhaps the best option may be to go the lower spec, and with the $ I save buy a CD player?

mmmm....

4. NC11

NC11

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    i think that whatever you decide on the dvd , a cd player should be added for pure music.

5. Henry

Henry

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    I'd agree with NC11, you simply cannot beat a dedicated CD player.