1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Decided on speakers, now which Denon?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by sean in singers, Oct 10, 2004.

1. sean in singers

sean in singers
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a pioneer 434 and have been looking to buy a the rest of the kit to go with it. My speaker dilemma is now over. I started off wanting big fronts, but the wife's objections and two young kids soon put an end to that. I decided on smaller stand mounted speakers and went shopping yesterday. I was given an excellent demo of the Mordaunt-Short Genie's; I was blown away by what such small speakers could achieve. Also picked up What-hifi, and their review confirmed this (always nice to read a review after you've had the demo!). Chink-chink, speaker purchase done.

Now I need to buy a DVD and receiver; struggling between the Denon 2805/2910 or 3805/3910 combo. I live in Singapore, the price difference between the two combos is around S$800 (about 300 quid). From all that I've read all 4 pieces of kit are excellent; just don't know if I would see/hear the difference with these speakers. My usage will be 50/50, DVD and music.

Views?

Cheers
    Sean

2. NC11

NC11

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    u should also look at the pioneer combo - AX5ai + 868 DVD. well within the denon's budget , and some find it better suited. will nicely complement yr 434 as well.

also worth considering a seperate CD player given the 50\50 comment u made before.

3. sean in singers

sean in singers
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the feedback, although I am pretty set on the Denon, the Pioneer here is the 969 and it's only available in a gold colour, plus it's actually more expensive than the 3910. I doubt that there is really much between them, not that I could pick up anyway.

The CD sound was pretty good when I had the demo; the reason I am considering spending more on the setup is I am hoping to have decent music quality so I don't have to invest in a CD player. Perhaps the best option may be to go the lower spec, and with the $ I save buy a CD player?

mmmm....

4. NC11

NC11

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    i think that whatever you decide on the dvd , a cd player should be added for pure music.

5. Henry

Henry

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    I'd agree with NC11, you simply cannot beat a dedicated CD player.