decided on freesat whats better humax or echo star

brianjacks2

Standard Member
Reaction score
after reading freeview and freesat for afew days ive decided freesat is best for me

but why is there a limited choice in box recorders

i have nailed it down to the popular humax 500 gb unit or the echo star 500 gb unit

i quite fancy the idea of slingshot ?
is it useful?
are there any key differences , as price is similar and features seem similar ?

any advice at all ?? thanks:thumbsup:

Last edited:
There are exactly five PVRs and Humax is the name that's mentioned most around here:
freesat+ HD TV recorder - freesat.
As Freesat is a specific product limited to the UK, with specifications laid down by the organisation, there's really very little incentive for international manufacturers to provide ranges of machines for it.
I don't know anything about the Echostar's "Sling Media's unique place-shifting ability", if that's what you mean.
Apart from that each machine has variations but they all have to be made to the same basic specification.

Last edited:
Echostar allows you to watch recordings remotely using paid for apps, Humax has a patched firmware that allows open access to recordings to many devices without expensive client app. One thing that only the Echostar will do is transcode recordings into a low quality format suitable for streaming out onto the web, if I travelled a lot I'd go for that, otherwise the Humax.

many thanks for reply

the reason i favoured the echo unit was as far as my v limited knowledge led me to believe i could watch telly on my motorola xoom 10 inch.android tablet

i have looked on market place and cant see an app . is it v expensive . i like the idea of streaming to.a.tablet and.though.this was the answer..

can u enlighten me to how it works.and why its.expenive . i have looked and read reviews on amazon and.checked the unit.out in john lewis

if the humax box.csn transfer/.stream i havent seen.this.anywhere.

thanks in advance..

wow. humax foxsat here i come . many thanks.

just need to find best price :p

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom