Decibels and AVReceiver

barbegame

Novice Member
Hi people!
I don't understand at all why my AVR writes -20dB when I hear some music...Shouldn't it be +20dB?
Thanks!
barbegame

dante01

Distinguished Member
When you calibrate a receiver it calibrates itself relative to a reference SPL that is used by the entire film industry. The same level is used to calibrate the mixing studios mixing the soundtracks and the cinemas where the films are played. THis reference point on a receiver is 0db post calibration and is referred to as a relative to reference master volume scale. Most home users find 0db reference rather loud and it can disturb neighbours and or other family members. Most people play content at below reference master volume and this would be seen as a minus below reference master volume. So -20db is 20db below the reference to which the rceiver was calibrated to. You'd not really want to go above this into the p[lus db range because it would be very close to audio levels that can cause hearing damage if listened to for prolonged periods.

You may find this article of interest:
What’s the Difference Between Relative and Absolute Volume?

barbegame

Novice Member
When you calibrate a receiver it calibrates itself relative to a reference SPL that is used by the entire film industry. The same level is used to calibrate the mixing studios mixing the soundtracks and the cinemas where the films are played. THis reference point on a receiver is 0db post calibration and is referred to as a relative to reference master volume scale. Most home users find 0db reference rather loud and it can disturb neighbours and or other family members. Most people play content at below reference master volume and this would be seen as a minus below reference master volume. So -20db is 20db below the reference to which the rceiver was calibrated to. You'd not really want to go above this into the p[lus db range because it would be very close to audio levels that can cause hearing damage if listened to for prolonged periods.

You may find this article of interest:
What’s the Difference Between Relative and Absolute Volume?
Dante01, I thank you for the information.
And have a good day!
barbegame

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Reported HDMI 2.1 bugs, Audiolab Amp & LG LED Projector reviews + Best of the Month
Top Bottom