decent streamer with bluetooth aptx for Roksan K3?

ElectricDreamZZZ

Novice Member
I thought I'd get by with a cheap bluetooth DAC like THIS one as a stop gap for bluetooth streaming. Problem is that the output volume is rather low and i have to put the Roksan's volume over half way to get a decent v olume ... If anyone knows the K3, if you put the volume half way your speakers will either blow up or the neighbours will call the police!!

I have an IOTAVX SA3 (wonderful amp by the way) in my dining room, and when i connect that using pre out the roksan is its usual ear shattering and beefy/muscular self. Even bypassing the SA3 volume and tone controls and using REC OUT the sound is still MUCH beefier. One thing i find with the SA3 though is when bluetooth is conencted there is quite a noticeable hiss...

I know that amazon one is a cheap DAC and its line level output is low etc, but i am worried if I step up to a decent (non volume and tone) DAC it may have the same problem?

Can any of you fine peeps recommend a DAC / streamer with a nice and loud analogue out with aptx hd bluetooth that doesnt cost over £150? Tone controls would be nice though the roksan is bassy with great mid and highs anyway. However, i do like to sometimes apply a V curve when i have guests over as most average peeps like that in their music I find ...

I was thinking of getting a DAC MAGIC 100 from Camb. Aud. and just connecting the bluetooth dongle via optical out to override its shabby DAC? For streaming happy to connect an Alexa cia bluetooth and an old Google CCA for higher bit rate music for now. Is that a sensible option? you can get these for around £100 ish refurb...

Thanks in advance :)

Last edited:

Paul7777x

Distinguished Member
That thing is likely to be a 1V output at most. Usually you be seeing 2V from a properly specified dac/Bluetooth thing; the same as a CD player.

I’d expect the output from any given volume position to be about 12-15 dB down.

A hundred quid for one of these will be a big upgrade for you and it has the standard 2V output too so there’ll be no volume issues.

ElectricDreamZZZ

Novice Member
thanks.

so the cambridge audio dac magic 100 only has 1v output as it says 2.3v on CA website? or are you referring to the cheapo bluetooth dac i referenced above?

also if assuming the CA is 2.3v out, will putting in an optical out from a cheap 5.0 aptx hd bluetooth receiver @ 1v into that DAC (that has op in) amplify the volume correctly?

i ask this as i managed to bag a second hand working CA DAC MAGIC 100 from ebay for £59 so went for it as it was cheap from its usual £199 price :)

i'll check out that BT receiver u linked- thanks!

Last edited:

Paul7777x

Distinguished Member
The CA dac will output its usual around 2V assuming the optical output from the cheap Bluetooth is not causing any issues.

There’s no way to tell with the cheap ones really until you plug it in and find out.

Certainly from how you describe it, the Prozer is not outputting even close to 2V from its analogue output.

I was referring to your current Bluetooth, yes, when I mentioned the output level.

The Dacmagic is certainly very well thought of.

But personally, if you only need Bluetooth, I’d still go for the ifi Audio Blue Air.

It’s better to have a properly built and specced Bluetooth player imo, and the Air is certainly that.

ElectricDreamZZZ

Novice Member
Thanks for the quick reply. I didnt want to loose out on the DAC MAGIC at that price so lets see if that works. Ive returned that dac and ordered THIS. Let's see if that works...

It is a pity CA didnt integrate wifi in the 100 or at least have the usb port to hook up the optional CA Bluetooth dongle, missed oppourtity there ...

if the cheapo bluetooth dac still doesnt play nicely i will look at the Zen.

ta

Hoku

Why not use the K3’s internal Bluetooth?

What are your sources? Streaming subscription service or locally stored downloads/rips?

Helix Hifi

Depending on your budget the Node N130 is the obvious choice. Zen is better cost wise.

It’s not always the more expensive ones which are better. I am not sure Node supports Aptx codec.

ElectricDreamZZZ

Novice Member
Why not use the K3’s internal Bluetooth?

What are your sources? Streaming subscription service or locally stored downloads/rips?
Roksan stopped including bluetooth on any K3's built since 2021.

Just Amazon HD for me. I naughtily stream from my amazon echo via bluetooth so not even listening in HD oops. May get an Airplay 2 dongle to stream from my iPhone at higher res. Ditched my vinyl, tapes and cd's long ago :)

Helix Hifi

I see the Node is too expensive, but I would have bought the Zen. Amazon has 60 days return right, so if your happy return it.

@iFi audio, I believe manufacturers Zen Bluetooth eq. They might help you.

ElectricDreamZZZ

Novice Member
Then IFI Zen is the best option. Forgive me but why do need separate DAC?
there is no dac in the k3. as said above, i managed to get a super deal on the CA Dac Magic 100. Now i need to find a decent bluetooth receiver for it to connect via optical to take advantage of this dac...

iFi audio

AVForums Sponsor
@ElectricDreamZZZ @Helix Hifi
iPhones use AAC codec for BT, but it's a better version than is usually seen in Android phones for this codec. You can use the Zen Blue both with analogue and digital outputs to see which you like better.
DAC 100 from CA is a good, but old device. You might not find too big of a difference between it and Zen Blu analogue output.

camcroft

The Zen Blue is a good piece of kit.. I have two of them.

ElectricDreamZZZ

Novice Member
in receipt of the cambridge audio dac magic 100 and its fantastic. purchased the tibo bond 3 streamer for a stupid price of £25. it doesnt have aptx hd bluetooth but thats ok has wireless streaming and an optical out so i can bypass its internal DAC to the cambridge. It's coming tomorrow. I'll keep that for now and upgrade to a better streamer later in year as just moved into my new house and quite frankly have more pressing expenses.

iFi audio

AVForums Sponsor
in receipt of the cambridge audio dac magic 100 and its fantastic. purchased the tibo bond 3 streamer for a stupid price of £25. it doesnt have aptx hd bluetooth but thats ok has wireless streaming and an optical out so i can bypass its internal DAC to the cambridge. It's coming tomorrow. I'll keep that for now and upgrade to a better streamer later in year as just moved into my new house and quite frankly have more pressing expenses.
We can agree that we all would take Tibo for 25 quid... I'm happy that you can finally play some music! A new house is a bag of expenses. Good luck and remember to reserve a room for audio exclusively :D

ElectricDreamZZZ

Novice Member
We can agree that we all would take Tibo for 25 quid... I'm happy that you can finally play some music! A new house is a bag of expenses. Good luck and remember to reserve a room for audio exclusively :D
thanks. happy to say the tibo outputs nice and loud through bluetooth and wifi. have to say im thoroughly impressed with it despite not testing any high res.

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung QN95B 4K QLED TV Review
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Disney+ confirms price increases coming in December
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Samsung unveils Galaxy Z Flip 4 and Fold 4 smartphones
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Movies Podcast: 8th August 2022
  • By Casimir Harlow