1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Decent sized Widescreen TV for small space

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by HitmanIP7, Nov 2, 2004.

1. HitmanIP7

HitmanIP7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Im after a 100hz widescreen TV, of a decent size (say 24" or above). The main thing is that it needs to fit in a space measuring:

Depth = 45 - 47 cm

Width = 93 cm

Height = 48 1/2 cm

I cant seem to find any TV small enough, which are 100hz though.

Can anyone recommend anything?

2. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,908
    Unlikely to find a 100hz CRT at this size. Small usually = cheap, which usually = lack of extra features (such as 100hz).

I presume your 100hz requirement comes from a sensitivity to 50hz flicker.

A 22 inch LCD would meet these requirements. LCDs don't flicker at all, are small, and a 22 incher is the same usable size as a 24 inch CRT. There are several models from Samsung, Panasonic, LG, Philips, etc etc, at about this size. They are falling in price but are still more expensive than CRTs.

3. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    how about a 26" LCD? agree LCD would offer better performance if youcan spare the cash

4. HitmanIP7

HitmanIP7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    I had a 27" Logik LCD which developed a fault, so I took it back. I cant say I was completely happy with it while I had it though. I was expecting to be blown away by the picture, but wasn't.

I was after a 100Hz model mainly because the main TV in our living room, and my brothers TV are 100Hz. I wouldn't say I notice any flicker on a 50Hz TV, but I can certainly tell the difference in picture quality.

Thinking about it though, 100Hz doesn't really matter.

So any 24" or so widescreen TV would be fine.

5. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    Panny sony or philips thats it really...................

6. andrew markwort

andrew markwort

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +159
    cant say I was completely happy with it while I had it though. I was expecting to be blown away by the picture, but wasn't.

Sorry to hear that. I've got the same model and love it (though I grant you, you've got to have a certain amount of patience with a decent calibration disc to get the picture right). Did you use YUV inputs and progressive scan?

Given the size restrictions, I'd say another LCD or plasma if the wallet will stretch that far. The trouble with CRTs is their large rears. Will heat be a problem?

I suppose one possibility is to buy the cheapest set you can find that fits the dimensions, and wait a year or so for thin screens to drop more in price. Given the price history of similar electrical products (calculators, videos, DVD players, etc) there's almost bound to be a thin screen that fits your requirements at a sensible price in a year or so.

7. HitmanIP7

HitmanIP7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    My Logik was connected to my PC, which is running as my DVD player at the moment until I build a HTPC or get a new DVD player.

A few times I did reallly like the picture, but then there were occasions when something would look bad, which really annoyed me.

Heat shouldn't be a problem, I had a 21" 4:3 TV in the space, and it was fine.

I can see LCD tv's dropping in price in a year or so as well, so I may have a look again then. Plus, the technology would have advanced more, and they should be better.

8. HitmanIP7

HitmanIP7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Here is one which Im seriously considering now Philips 24PW6518.

Really 24" is all I can get away with.

Its a good price. I dont need the stand though, but I dont have to use it. ;)

The one thing I would have loved is to find a similar TV in black. The only one Ive found is the Bush BOX56NB.

9. digitaldecks

digitaldecks

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +148
    hi all newbie here.

i bought 24 inch, 24PW6518 as i also have the problem with lack of space. i spent 3 weeks looking into what i could get. it came down to the phillips and the toshiba.

the toshiba looks thin and sleek but it has a phillips tube anyway. its also £50 cheaper than the phillips too.

however the stand you get with the phillips is basic. more like an added extra really.

but quality wise the phillips is much better in picture over the tosh has better zoom asspect feature and inputs than the tosh too. i A and B them at various stores like comet, currys, allders etc..

i got mine for £350 from john lewis online over the net. john lewis gives a 5 year warrenty to. forget currys, comet etc... they all come with 1 year warrenty and they are all have crap customer service too (not a sale pitch, but 3 weeks of looking into this i felt thay are all idiots)

the 5 years free warrenty is will worth it. peace of mind for £350. same applies to the toshiba too which is £299 at john lewis. the equivalent 5year at any other store is more than £100 so the way to look at it is a cheap deal.

up to you really but im well happy with my phillips. both tosh and phillips are silver dont know if you get black.

email me if you want any info!

10. HitmanIP7

HitmanIP7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Thanks for the reply, very helpfull :)

I wouldn't have gone for the similar Toshiba TV, as my current 4:3 TV is a Tosh, and its always made an annoying buzzing sound. I also had a DVD player from them which suddenly stopped playing Region 2 DVD's.

I may get that Philips though now. :)

It is annoying that they dont do more black TV's. All my other AV gear is black, so it would have looked nice :rolleyes:

11. HitmanIP7

HitmanIP7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Has anyone here got a Sony KV-24LS35 or a Sony KV-24LS35S?

They have component inputs, which is one of the things I was looking at. The main reason being that I could then get a VGA to component converter, which I thought would give me the best possible connection for a HTPC.