1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Decent set of monitors sub £120?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by nic@highgroundd, Feb 10, 2005.

1. nic@highgroundd

nic@highgroundd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Chaps,
    bedroom studio seeking a modestly priced set of monitor speakers (bookshelves maybe).

Could anyone kindly recommend a pair around the £80-120 mark which output decent fidelity for (music) studio monitoring purposes? Not second hand / used etc. ... although I'm fully aware of the merits of this route.

Edirol seem to do a couple of pairs and also Mission around that price tag. I really need the speakers to pack a decent punch without blowing windows out with a wall of sound.

Any help much appreciated.

2. broona

broona

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +529
    I've just got a set of Wharfedale Diamond 8.1's, they sound like the kind of thing you need. Excellent sound, fairly small, and cheap enough at HifiBitz (I think they're the + model too). :smashin:

3. M.A.S

M.A.S
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Are you looking for active or passive monitors?

4. nic@highgroundd

nic@highgroundd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Passive - amp. already installed.

5. M.A.S

M.A.S
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    A friend has these in his studio and they sound great, very clear, good bass and very loud (amp depending of course!) and bigger than the picture appears, also you can mount them upright or on there side. (some you can't)

Alesis Monitor One Mk2

If not then here's a list of passive monitors from Turnkey (good place ive got stuff from them before and they have been reliable)

Turnkey

Are you using a dedicated studio monitor amp or a home stereo amp?

6. Prometheus

Prometheus
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi nic@highgroundd

Check out my thread here: http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=185650

These Tannoy S8C's would be exactly £120 a pair (original price £600) and they are Brand new sold direct from Tannoy, they are New old stock.

They are around 5 years old now but Tannoy have been making Dual concentric drivers for 30 years, here is some blurb fom them:

All Saturn models use precisely the same Dual ConcentricTM drivers found in Tannoy Studio Monitors used throughout the recording industry worldwide. When scoring, producing and mixing film soundtracks, the studio engineer demands superior results. To provide the ultimate sound quality, it is vital to achieve a synergy between all the speakers within the system. Utilising Tannoy's Dual ConcentricTM point source constant directivity driver technology in each model.
    Professional recording studios demand the very best in acoustic performance from their equipment; pinpoint accuracy, with an ability to deliver the emotion and important subtle nuances in the presentation of the recorded work. This, coupled with the demand for wide dynamic range, high power handling and reliability makes the Tannoy Dual ConcentricTM drive unit, for many professional users, the only choice. Tannoy's Saturn range of home cinema speakers utilise precisely the same Dual ConcentricTM drive units as used in its studio monitor range. ;)

just for reference here are some pics.

Pic.1 is the Saturn S8C £60 each - available from ebay here:http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=14991&item=5750932983&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW
    or phone Tannoy direct, PM me for the number if you are interested.(saves all the ebay hassle).

Pic.2 is The studio 800 series from Tannoys current range which sells for £550 a pair!!! - http://www.tannoy.com/Default.asp?Id=4303

do you see any similarities? :) get yourself a bargain.

P.S. I believe that the only ones for sale are cherry and Gold (see my thread for pics) but you could ask. :smashin:

Attached Files:

7. M.A.S

M.A.S
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Prometheus this is the second time ive seen you go into one about those tannoys. You work for tannoy don't you?!!! or at least sell em on ebay?!!! :laugh:

8. Prometheus

Prometheus
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I'll tell you what M.A.S. I certainly think that they should let me have a free pair of Dimensions or something at least don't you? so Tannoy if your reading this I am utterly open to being showered with gifts ;) . How about a nice pair of ST50's, there such insignificant little things.........well.........what do think....................hello...............................anyone............................................................................Oh well. you can't have everything :suicide:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    There is no heavier burden than a great potential.
    (Charlie Brown)