1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Decent set of monitors sub £120?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by nic@highgroundd, Feb 10, 2005.

1. nic@highgroundd

nic@highgroundd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Chaps,
    bedroom studio seeking a modestly priced set of monitor speakers (bookshelves maybe).

Could anyone kindly recommend a pair around the £80-120 mark which output decent fidelity for (music) studio monitoring purposes? Not second hand / used etc. ... although I'm fully aware of the merits of this route.

Edirol seem to do a couple of pairs and also Mission around that price tag. I really need the speakers to pack a decent punch without blowing windows out with a wall of sound.

Any help much appreciated.

2. superkully

superkully
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Try a pair of Eltax Monitor IIIs, £70? (can't remember, try Richer Sounds), great sound across the board, although the down firing bass port might be a problem if you want to put them on a stand (the included spikes are quite far apart and not many stands have a top plate big enough for them all to stand on).

So good that I've bought three pairs last year for a present and to go in the spare room.

3. Flimber

Flimber
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,477
    Seek out Prometheus' thread regarding Tannoy Saturn S8C's :)

4. SolentSurfer

SolentSurfer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just over your budget but for the money you won't get better than the Wharfedale Diamond 9.1's. List is £180 but shop around online and you can get for around £150. If you can scrape the extra £30 together it will be well worth it.