1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Decent quality composite capture software

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by figrin_dan, Nov 18, 2004.

1. figrin_dan

figrin_dan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +135
    I am currently using Pinnacle Studio 9 SE for video capture and am very happy with s-video. But when using Composite input, the quality of the picture is terrible, it's really blocky with straight lines being 'wavey'.

I have tried a trial version of Cyberlink's Powervcr II (with some registry changes I found on the net) and found the capture quality to be very good and I can export this file to Pinnacle for editing, but it only records for 2 mins and the full version seems quite an expensive option when I just want to use one part of the software.

Can anyone recommend some good quality capture software at a reasonable price or would I be better of buying a cheap SVHS vcr to play back my vhs tapes via the S-Video cable?

Cheers.

2. figrin_dan

figrin_dan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +135
    I have now tried Nero 6 to capture, the quality being somewhere between the 2 I have already used, but it was losing frames at a ridiculous rate after about 15 mins (about a frame a second).

Any comments would be greatly appreciated.
    Cheers.

3. David PluggedIn

David PluggedIn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    have you looked at iuVCR? that is quite a nice solution.

4. Crocodile

Crocodile
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,453
    If you haven't done it already, try downloading the 9.3.5 patch.

5. figrin_dan

figrin_dan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +135
    Thanks David, I'll give that a go tonight!

Thanks croc, this should be the simplest solution, although the site suggests it is only for the Full version (I have the SE).

6. Crocodile

Crocodile
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,453
    The way I read it is that there a 2 versions of the update. A smaller one for existing version 9.3.x & a fuller one for earlier versions (further down the page). Maybe worth seeking clarification from support. You can always ask about your capture problem at the same time. Also, in my V7 there is an option in the Help menu to check for updates from Pinnacles site automatically.

Also found this forum which should be worth a trawl.

7. figrin_dan

figrin_dan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +135
    Tried it out last night. Did a really nice job - only problem is the raw file was running at ~1GB/min. So an hour and a half later I had no space left to burn the disc! I'll play with the settings to see if I can still get a decent picture at lower quality. Thanks for the lookout though - and great price too!

Will try the Pinnacle upgrade tonight.

Thanks guys

8. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    If the raw data isn't compressed and you have an NTFS partition then try enabling file compression in the directory the raw file's going in to, that should save you some space.

9. figrin_dan

figrin_dan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +135
    I couldn't get a decent capture using any of the other codecs so may have to try that.

I upgraded Pinnacle but then it would not edit the iuVCR file, so I downgraded again.

Another thing I would like to do is archive occasional tv programs onto dvd. The guy at Mesh told me I could using Windows MCE but it appears he was mistaken. The iuVCR software demo does not seem to recognise that my capturecard had a dvb tuner. Is this because I need to register or is it analog only?

I only really bought this PC to capture vhs and tv and burn to dvd - It appears I cannot do either of these with what they sold me. :(