1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Decent picture on Sharp LC26GA4E With SKY TV?

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by adamevo, Jan 11, 2005.

1. adamevo

adamevo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,

I'm seriously considering buying one of these in the next few days, but was a bit concerned about the quality of the picture when using it as a TV to watch SKY. I've read a few negative things about the 32" version of this model showing up signal deficiencies more than some rivals, resulting in a blocky picture when using televison feeds as opposed to high quality DVD ones for example. Can anyone confirm or deny this?
    Additionally, as it will be a second TV, unfortunately I'll have to hook it up to the SKY Mini Box for now (with a scart lead), which doesn't have RGB output - will this drastically effect the picture compared to the one I could get on a digibox with RGB out and will it still be ok? The picture seems fine on the current CRT I'm using...

Thanks for any help.

2. spoonboy30

spoonboy30

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    have just bought a 26GA4E - and have a very similar setup to that which you're thinking about - have an NTL box connected into the non RGB scart socket on the TV as the RGB one is being used for a DVD player

Generally very pleased with the picture quality of the NTL channels - colours are bright and vibrant and contrast is great (even when viewing in a well lit room) - thing to bear in mind with LCD displays though is that generally they are unforgiving on poorer quality signals - much more than CRTs. Seeing as most channels on the NTL box are very digitally compressed anyway (noticable even on a CRT) i would say the Sharp copes very well - has loads of setting to improve/ hide some of the common problems (picture noise reduction/variable sharpness/ loads of colour adjustments/ 3D/ Y/C filter etc) also has good lcd response time so motion is generally very fluid. Overall very good, especially when viewed from a proper distance (6ft more more way!)

When its comes to component/RGB or DVI inputs from decent sources it truely is amazing and blows any CRT or plasma away (especially at its price).
    Connect it to a PC via DVI at native resolution and watch a DVD - seeing truely is believing! Go but one while you can! :thumbsup:

3. adamevo

adamevo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks very much for your reply - just what I wanted to here. I feel I'm about to become a bit poorer...

4. wozza

wozza

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Adamevo. where you gonna be buying yours from. As on digitaldirectuk.com it's currnetly going for £887! Thinking of getting one myself.

5. mark88

mark88

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    You need to install Powerstrip, create a custom driver. When doing so you only need to enter 4 fields 1368/768/60Hz/48kHz and then save it.

Then update your monitors drivers and point to the driver file you have saved. It named my monitor simply "plug & play monitor"

Then go back into powerstrip and it should allow you to choose the custom resolution of 1368x768. You also need to make sure the "input signal" settings on your TV is set to 1366x768.

When I did mine, it would only work after I created the custom driver. Even though 1368x768 is available as a custom resolution beforehand. It would not sync to it. It would keep asking me to reboot and then revert back to 1280x768.

Once running 1368x768 I needed to run auto sync on the TV, and then adjust the phase under fine sync to get a perfectly still image.

mark

6. mark88

mark88

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    blossom, how come your post is always at the bottom of the thread? I quoted you before you even said something, apparently. Is your clock wrong?

7. blossom

blossom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Spoonboy,

I am trying to get the best results from my Sharp LC26GA4E and my PC.

When playing a DVD from the DVD drive, the TV displays only a signal of 800 x 600 when the PC input comes up. Same with my wintvUSB digital tuner.

Should it not display 1368 x 768 if I have set the screen resolution to the same. Where am I going wrong?

Using DVI from PC into DVI on TV. Graphics card is Nvidia Geforce FX5700 LE.

You say that you are dispalying at native resolution. I'm confused.

Cheers

Paul

8. blossom

blossom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    I don't know how that has happened.

How do I create a custom driver. I have installed powerstrip.

Thanks for your help by the way

Cheers

Paul

9. mark88

mark88

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    Options > Monitor Information > bottom left drop down menu

10. blossom

blossom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    What next mate.

11. blossom

blossom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Mark,

I am struggling with this. When creating a new custom driver where do I save it to? Is it because I am running two monitors ( one is the Sharp ) and cloning.

Help, I've lost the plot.

Cheers

Paul

12. mark88

mark88

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    save it anywhere you want, desktop for example. Then go into device manager and update your monitors drivers & point to the driver on your desktop.

then go back into powerstrip and set 1368x768 under display adaptor configuration

13. blossom

blossom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Mark,

Thanks for that. Am at work at the moment so cannot have a go. It seems strange though that when I am at the desktop for instance I can change resoltions at will but only when I stream video, from a DVD or freeview tuner it kicks in to 800 x 600.

Should I only be using one display for this to work or does it not matter?

How are you running yours.

Cheers

Paul

14. thfccambs

thfccambs
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,812
    Took delivery of my LC26GA4 today and have connected it up using the ariel from sky+ down stairs,i am very pleased with the picture.Haven't yet had a fiddle with the setting but heres a few screen shots of it set up using ariel.I think you will have no problems with scart at all.

15. blossom

blossom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Mark,

Still can't do this. Can't seem to update the driver from the desktop. Where am I going wrong?

Cheers

Paul

16. Leigh_1973

Leigh_1973

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    tried google at all?

17. blossom

blossom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Looks like I am making some progress. When I have the Sharp as the primary display and then have full screen option on the PC monitor only then I can get all resoultions to display on the Sharp for DVD and freeview. Bought an Ixos PS2 component lead and this made a big difference. Superb for gaming.

Cheers

Paul