Decent PC stuttering when gaming

Discussion in 'PC Gaming & Rigs' started by Berties, Dec 25, 2011.

1. Berties

Berties
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +604
    Intel 950 CPU, stock, 6GB RAM, 6950 GPU
    Gigabyte X58 motherboard.
    Playing Skyrim (installed to 1TB WD Black)
    and loading Calibre files from boot drive to NAS

Whilst boot drive is being accessed framerate in Skyrim is pretty bad. :confused: Also whenever I do something zip compress a file, again framerate drops.

CPU isn't being loaded, pretty sure HD are in AHCI mode, have installed MB drivers.

Any ideas?

2. eNxy

eNxy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    Maybe your GPU is downclocking itself? I'm not that great on ATI cards as I have a nVidia myself, so I'm not too sure.

3. TheNameIsJambo

TheNameIsJambo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,696
    Is it only in Skyrim?

My guess is: Yes

I can explain why... :)

First things first: Skyrim is notorious for stuttering, glitches, problems, errors... Eurgh. The list is endless. If you've got a stable version of Skyrim, you are one of the lucky ones...

Second things second: The optimisation for the PC is garbage.

Third things third: Get this AMD Catalyst 12.1 Preview Driver

It increases Skyrim performance by about 10-15% :)

Why is the Skyrim engine/performance garbage?!
    Skyrim puts a heavy emphasis on the CPU, in the worst way possible.

All shadows are generated on the CPU - Now, the 'why'.

On consoles, the CPU and GPU aren't that powerful, especially by today's standards. So, when developing for a console they have to offload tasks to other available resources. One easy way of doing that is offloading some graphically intensive tasks to the CPU [Almost like a CPU/GPU SLI].

So, that means what is done on the console is done to us - They generate graphics on our CPU, as opposed to our overly powerful GPU(s). Thus, the problem lies within the same engine being used on the PC as what is used on the consoles.

Effectively meaning we 'emulate' the console version on our PCs, which is obviously highly inefficient. They haven't updated or optimised it for the PC in any way, shape or form - :(

What does this CPU-Graphics-Debacle mean!?
    Well, your (our) whole CPU(s) will be bogged down when entering an area with a lot of objects/characters and dynamic lights.

The main fallacy being that their engine only takes advantage of two CPU cores, explicitly. So when your PC hits 50% CPU usage, constantly, that means the game is running at 100% - You can't change this, it's the game's engine.

That also means your graphics card will never climb above 50%, because your CPU is being hammered by calls to generate shadows, and it can't send 'graphics binary' to the GPU quick enough to allow it to be unleashed - Unfortunately.

I don't believe your heresy, it's all lies! My PC is a monster and the problem is with YOU!
    Download MSI Afterburner and have a look at the CPU and GPU charts (after playing 5 minutes of Skyrim).

You'll notice that the GPU usage will always hover around 50% and the CPU will never go above 50% when running Skyrim.

Yeah, that's a kick in the nuts ain't it? You have a machine that is, easily, 10x more powerful than a 360 or PS3, but Skyrim only takes advantage of an (approx) 50% of your entire rig's horsepower!

I want it fixed, now!
    If you're not keen on overclocking: Kill all background processes - Especially zipping files. (Who zips when playing games anyhow?!)

If performing intensive background processes is a must, you can designate Skyrim's affinity to CPU 1 & 2 and set any other background processes to CPU 3 & 4 (via Task Manager) if you want. That keeps the processes separate. Skyrim will max out CPU cores 1 & 2, and you can let the rest of the system run on 3 & 4.

Also, you can force more of the game into memory (if you experience load stutters), I recommend you read up on this: http://www.tweakguides.com/Oblivion_9.html

You're interested in the parts that relate to 'uGridsToLoad' (I recommend 7, default is 5). And have a thorough read of the uInterior Cell Buffer, uExterior Cell Buffer and iPreloadSizeLimit. They're all related in how the game is loaded (or when tweaked - forced) into memory.

Loading more of the game into memory results in better overall performance (in most cases). It also means you'll have less of that awful LOD pop-in. I hate how rubbish the game looks when it has to pop into view!

[Below, I've included a link to the 'PC Gaming' Skyrim thread, we have loads of INI tweaks in there, to further improve the visual fidelity and performance of the game]

Although, if you want better performance (on a 'raw' level) I highly recommend you OC your CPU.... Until it bleeds.... And I mean that literally. You can squeeze so much more out of that CPU, you're not using it to it's full potential, and on that note - Do you have an aftermarket cooler?

(Oh, and depending on your make/model, flash that HD6950 to a HD6970 ;))

You have a great rig there mate, don't let this game get you down. I suggest you have a look at mine in my sig - Very similar - and I still get stutters and jitters... And mine is OC'd to the eyeballs... And I'm not joking. My HD6950 is flashed to the 6970 and the core has been jacked up from 810MHz (stock) to 950MHz!

Skyrim is just a poorly optimised game, and we're suffering because of the damn consoles!

I hope this has helped mate :)

P.S
    If you have any more rig and/or gaming-related problems, post here in the future: http://www.avforums.com/forums/pc-gaming/

We would of been all over this before you'd even posted it ;)

We even have a Skyrim thread (Part 3, we create a new 'Part' after every 1000 posts):

http://www.avforums.com/forums/pc-gaming/1555353-elder-scrolls-5-skyrim-part-3-a.html

:)

Last edited: Dec 28, 2011
  4. eNxy

eNxy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    This man needs a cookie and his post to be stickied... just puttin' it out there!