1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Decent output to a normal TV?

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by uczmeg, Apr 17, 2004.

1. uczmeg

uczmeg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    Hi,

Is it possible (without spending a fortune) to get watchable output from a PC to a normal TV?

I've tried the s-video out from my Radeon 9600 and it is pretty awful.

I don't expect it to be stunning, but the eqaul of a cheap DVD player or sky would be fine. Something the wife could happily watch a movie on if I'm not there to setup the projector.

Cheers
    Marc

2. uczmeg

uczmeg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    Okay further searching has said it is possible to output RGB from the VGA of my Radeon.

As described here:

http://www.idiots.org.uk/vga_rgb_scart/index.html

Now, I'm a bit of a walking nightmare when it coes to DIY of any kind. So is it possible to buy a cable like this or is anyone prepared to make one up for me? I'd happily pay for parts, time and postage...

Cheers
    Marc

3. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well how do you feel about risking your TV & your graphics card? It doesn't look that difficult but you'll be trusting the workmanship of someone else.

The last thing you want is a call from your missus saying "the telly has just blown up & the PC doesn't work anymore" :oops:

:smoke:

4. Flimber

Flimber
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,477
    Can't speak of Radeons but by all accounts an nVidia card equipped with the cx25871 TV Out chip (as also found in XBOX) and TVTool tweaking software is pretty much state of the art for TV Out quality.

Mike.

5. Alex Simon

Alex Simon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    People have reported decent results with the cable mod you describe.

You could also try an Xcard - with it's own outputs. It's own S-Video/component and RGB outs are very good.
    Joveplayer would add media center functions but you would never actually see your PC desktop on the tv.

Obviusly it's not a 'free' solution like the cable though.

6. andy572

andy572
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hmm, Tv-out would seem to be rather hit and miss, if the forums and comparisons between my own and my brother's setup are anything to go by.

In my brother's case, he hasn't yet achieved anything better than an extremely blurry image (using a Radeon 9500 Pro (I don't recall the brand)), whereas on an older TV, with an older video card (Hercules Radeon 9000 Pro), I have a perfectly usable image (good enough to navigate around Windows, okay for games and great for video). My brother can't believe the difference between the two setups! I do think that the TV is key to this, too - with my old Toshiba giving a good s-video image. If only RGB wasn't so dark... :)

Have you tried altering the settings within the Radeon drivers, uczmeg? I have noticed, for instance, that having 'TV' set to one of the PAL options is a good deal sharper than the image obtained when using an NTSC option (the PAL image may not fill the screen, however). Though it seems to have less of an effect in recent drivers (for me, anyway!), setting the S-video option to 'more' could help - as could moving the flicker removal slider to its minimum. Of course, that last setting will mean that high contrast screens (evident with Windows) will appear very flickery; but the clarity of the image could be improved and should bring some detail to the fore - perfect if you're viewing video :smashin:

I look forward to hearing how you get along. In the meantime, good luck! :thumbsup:

7. CrispyXUK

CrispyXUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    you want to set the flicker filter to 0 if you want the best image quality as the flicker filter basically blurrs the screen, filcker filter at 0 is fine with HTPC frontend and video.

8. uczmeg

uczmeg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    Thanks for the tips, I will have a play again at the weekend.

The Xcard/Joveplayer approach looks like a good idea for the TV side of the solution.

I've had a look around and can't find the RGB adaptor for it anywhere. Any suggestions where it could be bought?

Cheers
    Marc

9. rob_w

rob_w

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Richer Sounds do some seriously cheap multi region dvd players - pretty much cheaper than a graphics card / almost pushing custom lead prices - I'd buy one of them.

Easier to use than a pc for 'just' dvd too.Also I reckon the pic would be better than any tv out on a graphics card. (x card type thingys excepted)

Cheers

Rob

10. uczmeg

uczmeg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    Thanks Rob, We have a cheap DVD player for the kids use.

£35 delivered from Amazon, it's great.

However we have a lot of movies on the hard drive, all our CDs are on there too. I want an easy way for that to work on the TV.

Cheers
    Marc

11. rob_w

rob_w

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    In that case maybe look out for a sigma designs Hollywood+ dvd decoder card - I used to have one with remote connected to my tv

I sold it about a year ago for approx £30, you should get one cheap if you look about.

Cheers

Rob

12. CodeThief

CodeThief

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    No way :nono:

I used to have an old Panasonic A160 and whilst it provided a reasonable picture via SCART or Svideo, my HTPC with Radeon 9200SE with the same Ixos Svideo --> SCART cable is a MUCH better picture :)

Dave

13. rob_w

rob_w

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Fair enough - that panny must have been really bad though:D

For the record I've used tv out's from an elsa geforce 2 gts, a radeon 7500, a radeon 9000, and a very old 3drage card (i *think*- chucked it about 3 years ago)

My mates £50 acoustic solutions player from RS beats them all...easily..

Maybe the 9200 has far better outs than the 9000 series ?

Cheers

Rob:)

14. uczmeg

uczmeg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    I have to say my initial tests with s-video from a 9600 were rubbish. Hence this thread!