1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Decent out of the box system?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by tee, Apr 13, 2002.

1. tee

tee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +50
    OK, my mate wants an introduction into home cinema and he sees his best option as an all in one system. He wants to spend around £500-600 and obviously wants DD, DTS, an amp and 5 speakers....

Any recommendations??

Cheers :)

2. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,905
    I am surprised that with so many Sony DAV members around that no-one has replied. The DAV 500 would seem to be the favourite in that price bracket and some places will sell it modified for multi region.

Have a look in General Chat for uncle eric's comments about a DAV 800 that he installed recently.

3. tee

tee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +50
    Thanks Ian.

Any more??

4. Doubledoom

Doubledoom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Perhaps they are now realising that the DAV units are not that good after all?

If he really feels the need to restrict himself to an all-in-one unit, you may want to read some of the threads over the last 3 months in this section to get some ideas as this is a bit of an FAQ.

5. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Only just seen this thread, I'm still happy with my DAV S500!! I still think that for most people who want cinema sound, the DAV 500/800 would be fine!

6. Harj

Harj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    My system is--

Marantz st4200 avr around £250 - 300
    Mission m72 pakage £256 (QED) -399
    Toshiba 2109 dvd player £250 when new a couple of years ago.

My dads
    Sony DAVS-500

When comparing, mine is better, but the davs is mightly impressive, more than some ppl here would let u beleive.

I have to add speaker cable cost to mine and interconnects as well, for the sony just speaker stands unless u go for the davs 800. For a 1st timer the davs 500 would sound out of this world, and its easy to use, to set up and to note no major problems., which is what a first timer wants right?

7. DAV Luvva

DAV Luvva

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    And I'd beg to differ with the differer

8. Doubledoom

Doubledoom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The Sony DAV units do sound fine for budget systems and the audio will be very good compared to a tv. The problem is that they are not priced correctly for what you get.

They are way over price and the limitations are just not acceptable at the price that you see them out for. If you can get hold of a 300 for £199 then that is more acceptable and i dont think you would hear half the criticisms that are currently chucked out against the DAVS. With home cinema it is often a case, you get what you pay for. In the case of the DAV, you dont get what you pay for.

As more people get PS2, Xbox attached to the home cinema set-ups, the DAV will also show its limitations of connectivity. 2 analogue inputs is just stupid and as for the co-ax and optical connections....

The Yamaha "in a box" would be better placed although with the budget mentioned, it is possible to start with budget separates which does leave an upgrade path in the future.

9. Bonesy

Bonesy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    I'd go the budget seperates route also.

I help my girlfriend, impressed by my SS system, get the M73 speaker package, a tosh 210, and my old sony 940 amp.

admittedly, all would come to more than £500, but it's amazing how even this budget separates gives great sound, and better longevity than an allinone. just my view.

10. DAV Luvva

DAV Luvva

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The DAV range is not only one of the finest looking AV systems around but top rated by Essential Home Cinema amongst others.

There are loads of happy davvers around but the rest of you are just being elitist.

11. bob007

bob007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yogi,
    Bet you need a suction pump for yours.......:D

12. DAV Luvva

DAV Luvva

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    There are many other mags that have rated the DAV range highly.

Very few other systems for the same price will come with SACD player and passive subwoofer.

I am sure that if it was made by Denon you AV snobs would be buying it by the thousands

13. DAV Luvva

DAV Luvva

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I auditined a lot of equipment when I bought my DAV including a Denon 3802 and Yamaha something or other but found that neither offered the sound per pound of a DAV.

Not only that but it has a high wife acceptance factor but I suppose all you Denon are batchelors gay and are not worried about haviong a neat and tidy house

14. lmccauley

lmccauley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +272
    There's no reason to bring Lucy into this.

15. DAV Luvva

DAV Luvva

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This thread is getting stupid so I'm not going to waist any more time here

16. S H A D O

S H A D O

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,737
    I´m inclined to agree.

Yoda, watch it.

Dav Luvva you also watch your comments, generalisation of people and the kit they own is likely to offend a fair few members of this forum.

17. Doubledoom

Doubledoom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Oh please. Another DAV thread gone stupid.

It really is strange how the DAV owners can't see the shortcomings of their systems and take to insulting other members who point them out.

I know the shortcomings of my set-up and i know it isn't the best by a long shot. I don't mind anyone commenting about them either. My system is hardly elitest so i shouldn't be accused of that either.

The magazines rate the all-in-one solutions in their own catagory against other all-in-ones. If you put them up against budget separates, they would not score as well.

The DAV units are budget units producing budget quality audio. If that is what you want and are happy to pay over the top for it then fine. If you want to try and convince others, who have compared the systems, then stop insulting in them and come out with some useful comments and state how you think the DAV was better.

18. somebugger

somebugger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a DAVS500 and whilst I'm happy with the performance I'm not convinced by the quality control, so far I've had 2 units that have quite severe skipping especially on hired disks with the odd fingerprint. I'll let you know how I get on (many thanks to Hotkit for their support through this difficult time).

PS. see, we Davvers can be objective !

19. somebugger

somebugger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Not at all, I'm just saying that whilst initial impressions were good I'm reserving judgement because of the quality problems. Until then I wouldn't recommend the DAVS to anyone else.

I thought these forums were about honest opinion, not point scoring.