decent moving coil?

karkus30

Ex Member
Reaction score
Anyone got any thoughts on a decent MC , Im using an MC30 supreme and it suffered a bit of an accident. Im loath to pay out for a new one ( I bought it secondhand for about 120 quid ). Dynavector has been suggested.

Im using an Oracle Delphi / RB300. Listening from Puccini to RATM.
The MC30 was good on Jazz, but could be a bit mellow on some records, great bass weight though.

Secondhand, hardly used would be considered. No Decca golds mind you.

The Sumiuko Blue Piont Special is the MC cartridge of choice at work. Supposedly very good, but then I'm not a turntable man. Think HiFiBitz sell them.

I tried the Sumiuko Blue Point Special after using an Ortofon and found the Blue Point Special was a bit flat and lacked detail.
I would go for another Ortofon MC or try a high quality Moving Magnet. MM's tend to have more punch.
Another MC that I use is the AT OC9. This one is not so laid back, but may be a bit expensive if you cant find a good discount.
:eek: :devil: :devil: :eek:

Originally posted by Gordon, Convergent-AV
I'd go down the Dynavector route up to £500 then it's Linn Klyde. Above that and it's more Dynavectors....

Gordon

Gordon I was offered a secondhand Klyde a few months ago, didnt really have the cash at that point ( same old story ) and it had no mounting screws and nuts, so I couldnt fit it, didnt bother and sent it back...............I have never been a big fan of Linn, so , until you mentioned it I was quite happy.....damn :confused:

Any particular Dynavector at the less than 500 pound point ?

Thanks for the input

The Dyna20 low output around £350 I think. It's good. Linn Klyde is great but I'm not sure about buying s/h cartridges.....I had a guy buy a cartridge from an un-named dealer and he was told it had been used for only a few hrs. It sounded crap and under the microscope all was revealed. It was ****ed.

If you're buying just to get the body and mechanicals for re-building then that's a possibility.

Gordon

Originally posted by Gordon, Convergent-AV
The Dyna20 low output around £350 I think. It's good. Linn Klyde is great but I'm not sure about buying s/h cartridges.....I had a guy buy a cartridge from an un-named dealer and he was told it had been used for only a few hrs. It sounded crap and under the microscope all was revealed. It was ****ed.

If you're buying just to get the body and mechanicals for re-building then that's a possibility.

Gordon

Yes, I never buy blind. Its always try before buy.
I looked at getting the denon re-tipped, might need a new cantilever as well, got a price from The Cartridge man, but it was almost as much as buying a new cartridge.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom