decent moving coil?

karkus30

Banned
Anyone got any thoughts on a decent MC , Im using an MC30 supreme and it suffered a bit of an accident. Im loath to pay out for a new one ( I bought it secondhand for about 120 quid ). Dynavector has been suggested.

Im using an Oracle Delphi / RB300. Listening from Puccini to RATM.
The MC30 was good on Jazz, but could be a bit mellow on some records, great bass weight though.

Secondhand, hardly used would be considered. No Decca golds mind you.

G

Gambit

The Sumiuko Blue Piont Special is the MC cartridge of choice at work. Supposedly very good, but then I'm not a turntable man. Think HiFiBitz sell them.

I

ISCM

I tried the Sumiuko Blue Point Special after using an Ortofon and found the Blue Point Special was a bit flat and lacked detail.
I would go for another Ortofon MC or try a high quality Moving Magnet. MM's tend to have more punch.
Another MC that I use is the AT OC9. This one is not so laid back, but may be a bit expensive if you cant find a good discount.
:eek: :devil: :devil: :eek:

karkus30

Banned
Originally posted by Gordon, Convergent-AV
I'd go down the Dynavector route up to £500 then it's Linn Klyde. Above that and it's more Dynavectors....

Gordon

Gordon I was offered a secondhand Klyde a few months ago, didnt really have the cash at that point ( same old story ) and it had no mounting screws and nuts, so I couldnt fit it, didnt bother and sent it back...............I have never been a big fan of Linn, so , until you mentioned it I was quite happy.....damn :confused:

Any particular Dynavector at the less than 500 pound point ?

Thanks for the input

Gordon @ Convergent AV

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
The Dyna20 low output around £350 I think. It's good. Linn Klyde is great but I'm not sure about buying s/h cartridges.....I had a guy buy a cartridge from an un-named dealer and he was told it had been used for only a few hrs. It sounded crap and under the microscope all was revealed. It was ****ed.

If you're buying just to get the body and mechanicals for re-building then that's a possibility.

Gordon

karkus30

Banned
Originally posted by Gordon, Convergent-AV
The Dyna20 low output around £350 I think. It's good. Linn Klyde is great but I'm not sure about buying s/h cartridges.....I had a guy buy a cartridge from an un-named dealer and he was told it had been used for only a few hrs. It sounded crap and under the microscope all was revealed. It was ****ed.

If you're buying just to get the body and mechanicals for re-building then that's a possibility.

Gordon

Yes, I never buy blind. Its always try before buy.
I looked at getting the denon re-tipped, might need a new cantilever as well, got a price from The Cartridge man, but it was almost as much as buying a new cartridge.