Decent Headphones for Xbox 360 *Part 9*

haha I just came on to suggest this :/

Beat me to it old man!

Im going to post up my little reivew of the Chimaera from a preivous thread just to save me inevitably doing it at a later date anyway!

I dont care for the cable between the headset, I use a wired controller anyway.

- wireless - Yes
- rechargeable via station so there is no need for battery changes (BIG plus for me!) - Yes
- 5,8 Ghz, means no interference with other devices, right? - Yes, I have mine next to ALL my electrical equipment.
- amazing sound (somewhat subjective though) - Yes (Not subjective at all with these ;))
- great look and build - YES YES YES! They are built to last, robust and sexy. They look clean and professional.

Im actually going to post my PM replies to another member, Im sure they wont mind!

"Bass is powerfully awesome on the Chimaera. Not too much that it becomes muddy, just right.

Look for member PixelPixel, I managed to convince him to give the Chimaera a go over the other mass produced and overhyped headsets.

I have nothing but praise for the Chimaera so Pixel would be great to ask as well.

The Chimaera are a little more chunky than other headsets but you get 2 quality 50mm drivers and they are built to last. Really do look clean and professional. The sound is just divine really. haha Ive all but given up promoting them in forum as people dont seem to wanna know, opting for turtle beach ect.

To give you an idea of how sweet they sound, I actually use them more than my £500 dedicated Onkyo 5.1 :p The soundstage of the cans are great and really intimate, like a soundgasm in your mind :D"

I knwo that PixelPixel has these cans too tehe, feel free to hassle him and ask his opinion. Tell him I sent you :p Any other questions, just PM me

Bearman, just a suggestion but would you agree that a stickied thread with sub forums would be better then this rolling thread. Information gets lost way too easy here and what we have is 10000 posts asking the same thing...

The sub threads could be - Turtle Beach, Tritton, Astro, Razer, Sharktoon, Other (Other would include Sennheisers/those that are headphone/amp setups.

Last edited:
Bearman, just a suggestion but would you agree that a stickied thread with sub forums would be better then this rolling thread. Information gets lost way too easy here and what we have is 10000 posts asking the same thing...

The sub threads could be - Turtle Beach, Tritton, Astro, Razer, Sharktoon, Other (Other would include Sennheisers/those that are headphone/amp setups.

Took just over a year for 1000 posts to be made in the previous thread so not sure if there is the need for one. Agree the same questions do get asked, but then it's not hard to search through previous threads, its how i chose my current setup. http://www.avforums.com/forums/xbox...ting-headset-headphones-check-here-first.html is a sticky but stickys tend to be ignored, could be updated though if someone wants to take on the task? If there was to be a subforum just the one 'Headphones and Gaming Audio' rather than every manufacturer would be better

Last edited:
I am not sure but is it only 5.1 and not 5,1/7.1 like the original model DSS?

What´s that whole 5.1, 6.1, 7.1 crap anyway? I mean, of course I understand the basic concept of dolby surround. But is there really a noticeable difference between 5.1 and say 7.1?
Are the any compatibility issues if I have a 5.1 headset but the audio on my blu ray is 6.1?

I still have a pair of Turtle B's x4 which were good enough but the build quality is *****, first the mic stopped working (no idea why, no broken wires or connections) then the power lead wore off at plug (had to open the plug to fix then duck tape it together and then an earphone snapped (my fault but it happened so easily) so now I have headphones with no mic and covered in duck tape lol.
Anyway, looking for replacements but preferably something of better quality, hopefully this thread will point me in the right direction.

I'm in the market for a new headset and looking at a max of £40 spend, looking at TB X12 or TB PX21 which are both in my price range, but before i decide are there others to chose from in that price range and how good are the two above.
Ta much

Any Chimaera users advise how to increase game chat volume. At default settings game effects and sound overpower party chat. Cheers

Any Chimaera users advise how to increase game chat volume. At default settings game effects and sound overpower party chat. Cheers

Lower the sound output on the 360 to 2 and put the voice at 8. That is how I currently have it setup.

Last edited:
Just ordered the Chimaers and a bunch of other stuff I´ll need. Looking forward to testing them.

Gaming headset maker Turtle Beach has just unveiled its new products for 2012 that it will bring to CES next week. This includes the Ear Force X42 and Ear Force X32 Xbox 360 headsets. They use new dual-band Wi-Fi and large 50mm drivers. The $160 X42 supports surround sound, while the $100 X32 does not.

An updated Dolby Surround Sound (DSS) processor that is the DSS2 gets six variable speaker configurations and supports stereo headsets. It costs $80 alone or can be bundled with the surround sound headsets.

The $40 Earforce Z11 is for PC gamers and sports acoustically-angled 50mm drivers.

Also making their debut at CES will be a new M-series of headsets for mobile devices, including the $50 M5, $40 M3 and $60 M1 earbuds. The M5 and M3 have 40mm drivers and in-line mics, while the M3 folds. The M1s have noise-cancelling ability, 10mm drivers with neodymium magnets, and an in-line remote.

Shipping dates for all the gear may be given at CES.

X42
fca45c12.jpg

X32
157306bf.jpg

DSS2
d1b74d8f.jpg

Z11
23ba5457.jpg

M5
4237ebff.jpg

M3
fb90bee6.jpg

M1
3b41cb8b.jpg

Source: http://www.ipodnn.com/articles/12/01/06/turtle.beach.unveils.gaming.headphone.lineup/

I'm going to make an impulse buy of some Brainwavz HM5. Only problem is that it's a pre-order item and will be in stock in Feb. Works out around £70 inc shipping and hopefully customs won't sting me with charges.

Mad Catz announced today the shipping of the Primer Wireless Stereo Headset, for use with the Xbox 360 video game and entertainment system from Microsoft.

Darren Richardson, the President and Chief Executive Officer of Mad Catz Interactive, Inc. stated, "The Primer is the third of our co-branded headsets to be released for the Xbox 360 and the first wireless product in the range. We are excited to bring passionate gamers high quality, wireless gaming."

The Primer Wireless Stereo Headset uses 5.8GHz wireless technology to connect with the Xbox 360. In addition, the Primer includes precision balanced 40mm neodymium drivers and controls which allow gamers to separately adjust volume and in-game chat levels.

Now shipping for $100.

6a84dcc9.jpg

TRITTON Technologies Inc.

Alright, so I got my Razer Chimaera 5.1 today and I gotta say I am utterly disappointed!

I connected them to my Xbox via optical cable but even if I turn up the volume to full on the headphones and in game (COD MW2) they are not at all loud. Shooting sounds dull and not powerful at all.
Also connected them to my digital cable box - the same! If I chose a channel that offers digital dolby surround and I turn up the volume to full it is very, very, very "not loud".

Is this normal? Can´t be, right?????

Or am I doing something wrong? I already checked the Xbox, dolby 5.1 is activated.

Alright, so I got my Razer Chimaera 5.1 today and I gotta say I am utterly disappointed!

I connected them to my Xbox via optical cable but even if I turn up the volume to full on the headphones and in game (COD MW2) they are not at all loud. Shooting sounds dull and not powerful at all.
Also connected them to my digital cable box - the same! If I chose a channel that offers digital dolby surround and I turn up the volume to full it is very, very, very "not loud".

Is this normal? Can´t be, right?????

Or am I doing something wrong? I already checked the Xbox, dolby 5.1 is activated.

1. On the Xbox Dashboard or in-game, press the Guide button. That is the center Xbox button on the controller.
2. Select Settings > Preferences > Voice.
3. Voice volume - Adjusts the volume of your friends incoming voice.
4. Game volume - Adjusts the game volume during chat.

Is your game volume set to 10 (Max)?

1. On the Xbox Dashboard or in-game, press the Guide button. That is the center Xbox button on the controller.
2. Select Settings > Preferences > Voice.
3. Voice volume - Adjusts the volume of your friends incoming voice.
4. Game volume - Adjusts the game volume during chat.

Is your game volume set to 10 (Max)?

Didn´t try chat, so I can´t say anything about the voice volume.

But yes, game volume is set to max!! And it is MW3 of course, not 2.

Also I tried it again with some movie with Dolby Digital audio and it is just soooo quiet. There is not movie feeling what soever.
Will try it with a DVD on my xbox again real quick.

Didn´t try chat, so I can´t say anything about the voice volume.

But yes, game volume is set to max!! And it is MW3 of course, not 2.

Also I tried it again with some movie with Dolby Digital audio and it is just soooo quiet. There is not movie feeling what soever.
Will try it with a DVD on my xbox again real quick.
that dont sound right,i have tried mine on bf3 and they are very loud if i turn my volume up,i have mine on normal settings and the volume is not on full,even with skyrim they sound ace.that is with digital optical connected,dolby on,settings on green.

Now I don´t hear anything at all - don´t know what I just did.

Anyway, i just tried a DVD (300) over Xbox and it sounds much more like iPhone speaker than almost € 200 surround headset. I can hear the surround effect, but still it doesn´t sound any good at all. I got the green Dolby digital light an as well as the EQ on green.
Is there anything that can be messed up on either Xbox or on the headset?

I it is connected to the Xbox via optical cable on the component connector (so not on the xbox itself!). But that should´t matter right?

Last edited:
im not sure,i have my optical lead plugged directly into my xbox 360 slim,and it sounds fine,sounds like there is either a fault with the headset or the component connector.the headphones should sound very good and very loud.

Now I don´t hear anything at all - don´t know what I just did.

Anyway, i just tried a DVD (300) over Xbox and it sounds much more like iPhone speaker than almost € 200 surround headset. I can hear the surround effect, but still it doesn´t sound any good at all. I got the green Dolby digital light an as well as the EQ on green.
Is there anything that can be messed up on either Xbox or on the headset?

I it is connected to the Xbox via optical cable on the component connector (so not on the xbox itself!). But that should´t matter right?

have you "synched"the headset to the base station?,also make sure the batteries are fully charged.

im not sure,i have my optical lead plugged directly into my xbox 360 slim,and it sounds fine,sounds like there is either a fault with the headset or the component connector.the headphones should sound very good and very loud.

They are not loud on my digital cable box as well (also optical out) so I think the headset is just broken. Now I don´t hear a peep.

I there anything I need to do after unpacking them? I plugged the optical cable in my xbox, connected them to power, turned the station on, synched them. That´s all I did.
BTW: strange thing, the batteries were already in the headset!

have you "synched"the headset to the base station?,also make sure the batteries are fully charged.

Yeah I have. Just pressed the synch button on the station first (flashed green) then on the headset. Then it stopped flashing.

They are not loud on my digital cable box as well (also optical out) so I think the headset is just broken. Now I don´t hear a peep.

I there anything I need to do after unpacking them? I plugged the optical cable in my xbox, connected them to power, turned the station on, synched them. That´s all I did.
BTW: strange thing, the batteries were already in the headset!

if i were you,charge the batteries for a few hours then try them.the batteries though should not be in the headset,mine were sealed up in the box,sounds like they might be a faulty pair,and someone has sent them back already.
they are amazing headphones when they work.i would send them back if i were you.get a replacement pair sent out.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom