Decent Headphones for Xbox 360 *Part 5*

Status
Not open for further replies.

RottenFox

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Searched the old thread but didn't find anything. If you don't care about having a mic how does sound on the astro mixamp hold up against the "Silent Cinema" processing on a Yamaha amp? Anyone tried both? Is the mixamp significantly better?

I do hear a rustling when i rub the mic.Does the game have to be really loud to hear yourself or something ??

Searched the old thread but didn't find anything. If you don't care about having a mic how does sound on the astro mixamp hold up against the "Silent Cinema" processing on a Yamaha amp? Anyone tried both? Is the mixamp significantly better?

What does "Silent Cinema" pretend to be? Is it Yamaha's version of Dolby Headphone?

EDIT: There's a few responses from a Google Search. I found the following one to do with gaming...

http://base.teamxbox.com/blog-post/43202/5277/09-21-2008/p1/

Last edited:
If i blow gently from the side of my mouth at the mic i can hear the noise in my headset. Blow straight out as though talking and i get no noise at all, nothing registers. Maybe a dodgy mic, but chat works fine, it just doesn't seem to pick my voice up unless i talk from the side of my mouth directly into the mic.

If i blow gently from the side of my mouth at the mic i can hear the noise in my headset. Blow straight out as though talking and i get no noise at all, nothing registers. Maybe a dodgy mic, but chat works fine, it just doesn't seem to pick my voice up unless i talk from the side of my mouth directly into the mic.

Mine either unless I shout but people can hear me loud and clear. Maybe mark has a big gruff northern voice? :)

Mine either unless I shout but people can hear me loud and clear. Maybe mark has a big gruff northern voice? :)

What i mean is i cant hear my own voice at all mate, unless i talk from the side and have the mic virtually in my mouth. If you position the mic normally can you hear your own voice through the headset ?

I cant hear myself if the mic is vertical and not being used, but if i put it down near my mouth, i can hear myself talk.

Its not loud by any means, its just as loud as it would be if i had no headphones on.

Try unplugging the mic, then talk, and compare it with the mic in, i'm sure you'll hear a difference.

Its so subtle, it feels kind of strange at first.

I cant hear myself if the mic is vertical and not being used, but if i put it down near my mouth, i can hear myself talk.

Its not loud by any means, its just as loud as it would be if i had no headphones on.

Try unplugging the mic, then talk, and compare it with the mic in, i'm sure you'll hear a difference.

Its so subtle, it feels kind of strange at first.

Thanks Mark. I have the mic in the normal talking position and have tried it with and without the mic and it makes no difference at all unless i bend the mic so its more or less touching my lips, then and only then do i hear my voice and only if i talk out of the side of my mouth. :(

What does "Silent Cinema" pretend to be? Is it Yamaha's version of Dolby Headphone?

EDIT: There's a few responses from a Google Search. I found the following one to do with gaming...

Silent Cinema & Dolby Headphone comparisons

Yup it's Yamaha's equivalent of Dolby headphone I believe.
Cheers for the link for some reason it didn't come up in my google. There's a thread on head-fi that goes into more detail:
Silent Cinema & Dolby Headphone comparisons - Head-Fi: Covering Headphones, Earphones and Portable Audio
I guess quality of the headphone socket would probably vary from amp to amp though.

Thanks Mark. I have the mic in the normal talking position and have tried it with and without the mic and it makes no difference at all unless i bend the mic so its more or less touching my lips, then and only then do i hear my voice and only if i talk out of the side of my mouth. :(

You'll have to do impressions of Popeye all the time then!

Seriously tho, i like my mic as close as pos without touching, so thats maybe why mine seams louder than yours.

Try playing a loud game, and chat to yourself, you should just hear yourself enough so your not shouting, i dont think its meant to be loud, just enough to gauge your own voices volume.

i cant really hear my self either, similar to you mpn if you bring the mic really close you can, but if i bring mine too close i think my voice is distorted back to ppl, i find the new earcup design allows you to hear your own voice, and others in the room much more than the old design anyway so not too sure the talkback is all that important, though still its not as good as X3/X4 versions.

i'm cant rule out that i've got another dodgy pair tbh, a replacement chat cable arrived today which i need to try out for chat crackle problems, just hope the headphones dont have to go back again :(

i cant really hear my self either, similar to you mpn if you bring the mic really close you can, but if i bring mine too close i think my voice is distorted back to ppl, i find the new earcup design allows you to hear your own voice, and others in the room much more than the old design anyway so not too sure the talkback is all that important, though still its not as good as X3/X4 versions.

i'm cant rule out that i've got another dodgy pair tbh, a replacement chat cable arrived today which i need to try out for chat crackle problems, just hope the headphones dont have to go back again :(

Just phoned the guys at lime and they think i may have a loose wire in the mic as when i bend it to my mouth it works, he thinks bending it is causing it to touch but in the normal chat position it comes loose. They dont have any mics in stock so he is gonna contact madcatz who are the uk supplier and have them send me a replacement.
I can't for the life of me find a uk supplier who sells the mic's !! Gameseek/shark or whatever there called, dont seem to sell them, only chat cables. Thought it might have been a little quicker than waiting for mad catz.

Last edited:
i didnt think the mics were seperate? Duncan Dares knows I had some issues when turning the chat jack (tins end) round in the hole, it was bad connection and crackeld pop etc, new cable has solved this but..... peoples voices are still at times crackling, and i'm getting a little bit of popping, so the big question is.... should all voices be clear all the time? how are other peoples X31's and X41's? are could it be low batteries, other ppls mics, are another faulty set of tins i have? mates do say they hear me crystal clear.

Dont know if i'm just looking for perfection that i just wont find with £90 tins?????

i didnt think the mics were seperate? Duncan Dares knows I had some issues when turning the chat jack (tins end) round in the hole, it was bad connection and crackeld pop etc, new cable has solved this but..... peoples voices are still at times crackling, and i'm getting a little bit of popping, so the big question is.... should all voices be clear all the time? how are other peoples X31's and X41's? are could it be low batteries, other ppls mics, are another faulty set of tins i have? mates do say they hear me crystal clear.

Dont know if i'm just looking for perfection that i just wont find with £90 tins?????

I dont know about the x3's mate but the mic in mine can be detatched and taken out.

...Is there anyone who could help me test the X41 on the PS3 later in the week...I need someone on my friends list to test with (I've managed to lock out my "normal" PS3 account and have setup a new one whilst Sony sort it out! :rolleyes:

testing to occur either Thursday, Friday or the weekend?

...Is there anyone who could help me test the X41 on the PS3 later in the week...I need someone on my friends list to test with (I've managed to lock out my "normal" PS3 account and have setup a new one whilst Sony sort it out! :rolleyes:

testing to occur either Thursday, Friday or the weekend?

What do you need them to do?

I have a PS3 and have my X41's attached, but i dont have a mic set up to it. although i do have the PS3 camera which has mics on it?

Simply listen and speak to verify sound quality / connection whilst I verify a couple of things, namely:-

1) The iMIC Mic and headset wont work together (but you can have either mic or headest working independently).
2) An alternative USB soundcard does work.
3) For the working card, verify sound quality is adequate.

Simple really :thumbsup:

What do you need them to do?

I have a PS3 and have my X41's attached, but i dont have a mic set up to it. although i do have the PS3 camera which has mics on it?

Add me then, and i'll try help out.

Be good for me to check too.

I'm wondering if i can use the X41's as headphones, and use the PSEye camera as a mic?

Wilco...probably send FR tomorrow daytime...we can work a time to meet later.

I'm wondering the same as you (camera thing). :smashin:

Add me then, and i'll try help out.

Be good for me to check too.

I'm wondering if i can use the X41's as headphones, and use the PSEye camera as a mic?

Does anyone have an opinion on the Beyerdynamic DT880 250ohm with the Astro Mixamp? Good, bad... How is the detail, the accuracy of the surround sound... all that good stuff

Does anyone have an opinion on the Beyerdynamic DT880 250ohm with the Astro Mixamp? Good, bad... How is the detail, the accuracy of the surround sound... all that good stuff

I take it you haven't read the headphone sticky thread? :)

http://www.avforums.com/forums/xbox...ting-headset-headphones-check-here-first.html

You'll find the info you need in there. ;)

Should you have any questions after that, feel free to contact the members in that thread who are happy to answer specific questions on the DT880's or post on here. :smashin:

Last edited:
I decided last night i won't play FFA on MW2 without using my X41's, its almost like having an extra perk!

Massive massive advantage on quiet maps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom