Decent Headphones for IPOD/PSP...

figoagogo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think some 3rd party headphones would improve the sound quality on my IPOD and PSP, I have the following requirements:

*Good sound quality (obviously) - should be better than Sony's/Apple's offering
*Noise cancelling - Have two holidays for this year, one to Mexico and I find the standard headphones get drowned about by the aircraft noise
*In Ear - I don't want any big cans, but I am not sure if you can get noise cancelling in-ear headphones?
*Less than £20 - Is this too much to ask
*Must be white

Any ideas?

I'm not certain that you can obtain noise-cancelling phones for under £20 (ask in the Headphones & Headphone Amps forum - one down from this forum). However, I think you'll get on just fine with the white Sony MDR-J20 - see here. Pretty good and very comfy for the low price; just don't expect the world.

shadowritten said:
I'm not certain that you can obtain noise-cancelling phones for under £20 (ask in the Headphones & Headphone Amps forum - one down from this forum). However, I think you'll get on just fine with the white Sony MDR-J20 - see here. Pretty good and very comfy for the low price; just don't expect the world.

Thanks for this, but due to the fact I wear glasses :cool: these wont work to well :D

mattrixdesign2 said:
Sounds good - will a notice an improvement do you think?

vs the standard apple ones, yes. As to whether they are the best for the money then that could be debated ad infinitum. If you look on the headphones forum the Senn CX300's seem to get good comments but at over £30 it's a big hike in price. I'm a great believer in the law of diminishing returns and £15 seems a good pricepoint, as a first step up anyway.

The thing with these in-ear type phoes is that fit and comfort are key to sound quality and satisfaction, and as all ears aren't the same shape and size the results can be very unpredictable.

I am tempted by these headphones. £15 aint bad.

To be honest I don't really have a problem with the Sony ones on my PSP, its the Apple ones on the Nano - The suppied headphones seem to struggle with bass and cymbals the noise seems almost "blended" in a type of mush (as if the file was compressed more than it is) - if that description makes sense :eek: Does any one else have the same issue?

I may try swapping them about at home, and if it is the Apple headphones I will replace them with the one recommended.

mattrixdesign2 said:
I may try swapping them about at home, and if it is the Apple headphones I will replace them with the one recommended.

I have a pair of full size sennheisers at home and they sound notably superior to the in-ear ones supplied with the iPod. I'd expect these 500's to be somethere in between. Though I've never tried them.

For cheap High end earphones, I'd recommend:

Panasonic RP-HNJ50E-W (£29.99 argos)
They most certainly beat SONY EX71's, build quality wise. And slightly less Bassier.

For Mid High End earphones, I'd recommend:

Shure E4c's Non Gaming ones (£129.99 from Go gadget Go)
These are better in locking in sound, and keeping external sound out. It comes with 3 types of ear padding, Clear Silicone (3 layer falange), Blue or Yello Foam, or Silicone cups. I prefer the 3 layer falange. I use these for Jazz, Classical, Romantic etc. Superb for Live session work.

For High, High End earphones, I'd recommend:

Shure E5c's (£339.95 - but I got it free off The Royal Academy Of Music)
Ultimate Ears - LE10 pro (Approx £500)
Haven't tried these puppies out but the case doesn't seem to shabby.

Dr.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom