Decent freesat under £100

DICKYBIRD

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I've been asked for a freesat system for Christmas by the parents. They just want a cheap system for their static caravan. They've seen the one in B&Q for £40 for the satellite and box. Firstly, does anyone know if this system is any good and secondly, if it's not can anyone recommend an all in one freesat system (box and dish) for under £100. They don't have a HD TV so this is important and they're not really bothered about being able to record on the box (but it would be nice if you ask me!)

Thanks in advance,
Richard.

I don't see anything on the B&Q web site.
Have you seen it in the store and what - especially the receiver which can't be Freesat - is included for the £40?
Places like Maplin do sets of dish, cable, and receiver, but for free satellite not for Freesat.
The three ways for free satellite TV are detailed in our fixed thread, and it links you to all the Freesat receivers.
http://www.avforums.com/forums/freesat/1307423-free-satellite-freesatfromsky-freesat.html

Last edited:
Some confusion here.

Freesat is a provider of a 8 day epg. B&Q afaik don't sell Freesat boxes. They do sell generic free to air satellite boxes which can access all the channels and more that you can get on Freesat box but you don't get the nice 8 day programme guide.

The Focus Do it all free to air box provides an EPG that is ok - RRP £99 - expect to pick one up for around £50 as they are usuallly reduced - SD not HD though

I got a Bush Freesat SD Digital Box for £29.99 from Argos about a month ago. You would still need a dish.

They've seen the one in B&Q for £40 for the satellite and box.

I can't imagine what sort of rubbish you'll get for £40. That will hardly cover the cost of the dish kit by itself.
Camping kit with Sky minidish - Google Search

Then you have to decide whether the Digibox is to be Freesat or FTA and whether it needs to run off 12 volts. (Some FTA boxes will but a Freesat box will need an inverter.)

Last edited:
Have a look at our kits, they are £75 inclusive. Its a Triax SR110 FTA box but has been pre-programmed with all the channels that you would get on Freesat.

Last edited:
Its a Triax SR110 FTA box but has been pre-programmed as a Freesat box:

What does that mean ?. Does the box have mheg5 and the 8 day Freesat epg ?

Last edited:
So it's an FTA box, yet your using the 'Freesat' TM/logo to sell it!

Tradeworks Limited Complete Freesat Installation Kit with Quad LNB

Don't you consider that misleading?

You beat me to it :D.. Freesat branded boxes have to be approved by Freesat as meeting the minimum standard required to carry the logo, the least of which is to work with the epg (Freesat is merely an epg provider). Trading Standards and Freesat would take a very dim view on this :eek:

To be fair if the Freesat claims were withdrawn it looks a reasonable way to get a free to air kit at the price.

Last edited:
You beat me to it .. Freesat branded boxes have to be approved by Freesat as meeting the minimum standard required to carry the logo, the least of which is to work with the epg (Freesat is merely an epg provider). Trading Standards and Freesat would take a very dim view on this
I'd also be interested to know AVF admin's take on an 'Assured Advertisers' misleading marketing...

To be fair if the Freesat claims were withdrawn it looks a reasonable way to get a free to air kit at the price.
Oh I agree.

Last edited:

Also a typo in the specs makes this even more misleading

Over 220 TV channels and over 100 radio stations available, with more coming all the time - much more than Free-To-View set top boxes

I'd also be interested to know AVF admin's take on an 'Assured Advertisers' misleading marketing.
Marketing isn't my area but in the forum I've made it clear that the item does not answer the original request for information and that under Rule 7 a link to it by the AA is not allowed - though you others have provided that.
Logi.
dm2 - typo? - "Free-To-View" for "Freeview" - or something else?

Last edited:
In view of the cost of advertising here, I think that advertisers should be allowed a little more "slack". I think that Gareth has best intentions and will clarify his web page specification. The item certainly fulfilled the price criterion even though it's not full "Freesat" spec.

We're agreed that the system is "fit for purpose", and is reasonably priced.
It is a receiver for free satellite channels, perfectly good of its kind, but not in any way a Freesat receiver.
He has cleared that up in this forum, and any advertising he does is not in my area.
What he does with his site, especially the use of the Freesat logo, may be of concern to others at AVF.

Last edited:
I stand - or to be accurate but not idiomatic sit - corrected. :thumbsup:

Haha :)

Sorry guys, I must apologise to you all, the way I explained it wasn't well thought out.

Consider my wrists slapped. The webpage is getting updated today too.

Haha :)

Sorry guys, I must apologise to you all, the way I explained it wasn't well thought out.

Consider my wrists slapped. The webpage is getting updated today too.

Do you sell the box on it's own, looking for a cheapish fta box for an elderly relative who lives in a terrible freeview location ? I put her up a Mk4 minidish and she's currently using a portable fta tuner of mine (dual 12/240V)

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom