Decent free media software?

Discussion in 'Music & Music Streaming Services' started by bobbymax, Feb 27, 2014.

1. bobbymax

bobbymax

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +190
    Hope this is the correct forum to post this....
    I'm using Media Jukebox 14 at the moment, but getting a bit fed up with not being able to get the covers for albums I upload to it. Although, some of them have show the covers automatically.
    I right click on the album, but Can't see anywhere to find covers on the web or similar, and even the "Rename" button is greyed out.
    Now it's very possible (Likely. :D) that I'm not using it correctly.
    If so, can anyone point me in the right direction, or recommend another media player :lease:

2. probedb

probedb
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +180
    What are your requirements? Is playback on a PC or a Mac or is it being streamed to an external player?

Depending on your requirements there are quite a few, from foobar2000 to XBMC :)

3. bobbymax

bobbymax

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +190
    Thanks for that.
    I Have a PC (win 7) and should have said, I just want a decent music storage (ripping CD's) and organizer similar to itunes etc.
    i have Media Jukebox 14 at the moment, but I can't get the covers/artwork to show on the albums. o_O.
    so thought I'd trie something else that will store music in it's full capacity (lossless) and can burn to disk etc. ;)

Cheers

4. probedb

probedb
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +180
    Personally I use dbPoweramp for ripping, it has AccurateRip support and access to lots of artwork/meta data. Storage is wherever you want to put it and you rip to whatever format you want to.

I think you just need to try a few and see what you like. I use fb2k because it's easy to use for me and fairly flexible in how to set it up and there are lots of plugins for various things :) Something like XBMC would be better if you dedicated a box to it.

As for covers, does Media Jukebox require the artwork to be in a particular place? Maybe folder.jpg or cover.jpg in the album folder, or does it support artwork embedded in files? I'm assuming you're using FLAC for lossless.

5. Kailash

Kailash

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +463
    I use iTunes but a lot of the time album covers don't come up, so I just grab a pic from the net and upload it. not that convenient but only takes a few mins
    I doubt any program will always give you the cover, as long as you get the majority of them though

6. bobbymax

bobbymax

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +190
    Yes I do prefer to have FLAC or something similar (not very knowledgeable with music compression afraid). I want to write to Disk, so need the best quality ;)

And to cruiser...thanks but I don't really like i tunes as it's predominantly MP3..isn't it? And like I said I 'd want the full quality from my music... but if itunes will give me that then I'd change my mine. :)

Cheers guys.