Decent fast urban racer?

ruffage

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can anyone recommend a decent racing game? I'm after something in the FlatOut 2 style, arcadey and fast. Absolutely love FlatOut2 but there doesn't seem to be any equivalent on the PS3 yet.

Motorstorm - got it, great, but all desert.
GT Prologue - worried it might be as slow as the demo.
Dirt - slow, too much barrier bouncing, and that constant american voice - gah!

Need for Speed Carbon any good?

Ridge Racer maybe? If you like cars that drive on a center piviot!! Try the download demo on PSN and see what ya think.

Ah yes forgot about Ridge Racer. Didn't like it tbh, back end was all over the place. Power slides I can usually do, but those cars are a bit OTT.

Ruffage, have you seen The Fast and the Furious: Tokyo Drift, that was seriously OTT sliding, amusing nonetheless!

How about one of the PS2 Burnout games in particular Burnout 3 or Burnout Revenge.

Buy a PS2 game for my PS3? How very dare you! I don't blow 400 big ones to then upscale an old game! :)

I think Need For Speed Pro Street might shut me up in November.

Buy a PS2 game for my PS3? How very dare you! I don't blow 400 big ones to then upscale an old game! :)

I think Need For Speed Pro Street might shut me up in November.

Only trying to help. :)

Ylou could always wait for Burnout Paradise early next year. ;)

Need for Speed Carbon is ok. I bought it and it kept me occupied for a while.

Only trying to help. :)

Ylou could always wait for Burnout Paradise early next year. ;)

I saw this on Gamer TV the other night, and it looks unbelievable!!

Just watched a trailer for it, looks spot on! :smashin:

The fact that the PS3 is the lead platform should really help them get the most out of it.

The fact that the PS3 is the lead platform should really help them get the most out of it.
Or at least get it up to speed and released on time. ;)

Seriously though, wait for Burnout. I can't stand NFS.

Think I will wait. Burnout looks very like FlatOut2, which I love on the PC. That game has me in stitches sometimes when your mate comes flying past and then ploughs straight into a tree. I cba with gears and tuning etc most of the time and just want to plough down the track at crazy speeds, and Burnout looks very promising. Seeing that at 40" might make my eyes bleed.

I was in the same boat, I bought Need for Speed: Most Wanted - Black Edition

I got bored of RR7, which is rare cause I normally play a game till I've completed it but I got it at the same time as 5 other PS3 games so idn't give it my full attention

Hopeully the next nfs will actually look like a PS3 game unlike Carbon.....

Steaming turd imo

NFS:pro Street has been getting a lot of positive feedback so far so hopefully it will be a quality game. I've never really been a fan of the NFS games the last few years and the only one i really liked was the one on the 3DO which is still the best one so far in the series in my opinion.

I agree with the 'underground' sub series, was the same tat being regurgitated but Most Wanted was like going back to it roots IMO, loved that game on the pc :) Why they went to Carbon after beats me, may aswell have been called Underground 3. Didn't help the ps3 version was a sloppy port tho I guess.

I agree with the 'underground' sub series, was the same tat being regurgitated but Most Wanted was like going back to it roots IMO, loved that game on the pc :) Why they went to Carbon after beats me, may aswell have been called Underground 3. Didn't help the ps3 version was a sloppy port tho I guess.

The Most Wanted series certainly was a lot better then the Underground series or the Carbon game both of which were awful. Personally i'm inclined to pass on NFS:pro Street and wait for Burnout Paradise which judging by all the feedback so far will be the better game of the two.

Its a real shame that Flatout Ultimate Carnage is unlikely to be ported over to the PS3, cos that is a truly superb game on the 360 and would obviously appeal to the OP, as a fan of Flatout 2. It is superb online.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom