1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Decent DVD for just £3-99!!!

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by PoochJD, Sep 9, 2002.

1. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,862
    Hi,

Just popped into my local Woolworths store, and saw the following DVD release which I think many of you will be interested in.

"An Introduction To Hong Kong Legends"

It's actually a Limited Edition single-disc Trailer disc, but it contains a full-length film (Jet Li's "HITMAN") plus over 80 minutes of other material, including documentaries about the restoration work that goes on before many of these HKL films get released onto DVD.

Definitely worth £3-99, even if the movie may not be that good.

Pooch

P.S. The film is in 16:9 Widescreen and dubbed or subtitled! :)

2. Rambo John J

Rambo John J

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +912
    It's basically the HKL disc of The Hitman (possibly the worst film Jet Li's ever made, and he's made some stinkers) including all the extras that were on that, with the new addition of a mini featurette about how HKL restore/remaster the films they buy from the Hong Kong distributors like Media Asia (HK distributors are renowned for their lack of care when storing films in their vaults), and a dozen or so trailers for other HKL product. For the price it's reasonable if you've never bought an HKL disc before, but they might have chosen a better film.

I hate to say it, but with the exception of a handful of decent films, Hong Kong Legends seem to release excellent quality discs of diabolical films. That's only personal opinion of course.

3. Sinzer

Sinzer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,107
    I liked the hitman :p

Some good Sunday afternoon hangover crap!

4. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,862
    Rambo,

You said: "It's basically the HKL disc of The Hitman (possibly the worst film Jet Li's ever made, and he's made some stinkers)."

That's probably why they chose to release it. I presume that it never sold that many copies, and this is a way that HKL can try to claw some money back.

Mind you, for £3-99, they weren't going to release "The Way Of The Dragon" or "The Killer" were they. Would've been nice, but highly unlikely!

Pooch

5. Rambo John J

Rambo John J

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +912
    It might've been a way to clear their stocks of TWOTD before they do their 2 disc Platinum reissue next year, which they'll probably do with The Killer aswell once they've got the October release out the way. Interesting how The Killer's gone from a 2 disc Platinum set (when first announced) to a single disc initial release. HKL obviously know a cash-cow when it lands in their yard, especially when it comes to fans favourite movies.

6. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,862
    Hi Rambo,

Fair point, I guess.

Anyway, I watched "Hitman" last night, and whilst it isn't a great film, it's not too bad either. Admittedly, the fact that the picture and subtitles are fairly messy, which kind of undoes all the good stuff in the "HKL DVD Restoration" documentary, is a bit annoying, but still worth the £3-99.

Shame about "The Killer" though. I'm pretty certain that the "HKL Trailer DvD" says it will be a 2-disc Platinum Release. I guess we'll just have to wait and see then. Either way, I also hope they do 2-disc versions of "Bullet In The Head" and "A Better Tomorrow"! Also, it's a shame they don't hold the rights to "Hard-Boiled" as well, so that they could release the definitive edition of that!

Pooch

7. Rambo John J

Rambo John J

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +912
    Have they bought the rights to A Better Tomorrow from MIA then? I thought MIA had a 2 disc SE of ABT coming out in December and HKL only had the rights to the sequels. Hmmm. HKL would definitely do it more justice than those boneheads at MIA.

8. Nike

Nike

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    HKL only have rights to ABT 2 & 3.
    Killer is definitely going to be a single disc now:(
    I'm going to a cinema screening of it next Thursday - can't wait:)

9. Rambo John J

Rambo John J

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +912
    Is that the HKL Fight Night?
    I saw it at my local arts centre a few years ago but the print was battered to hell. Still nice to see it on the big screen though.
    I hope you have fun, it should be a good night (if that's the one you're going to)

10. Nike

Nike

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Yep, that's the one.
    Also showing 'Young Master' I think.
    Went to the last one where they had a preview of the Project A DVD - was a good evening.
    'The Killer' on a big(gish) screen with a restored print should be excellent.

11. Rambo John J

Rambo John J

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +912
    A-men to that.:cool: