1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Decent bundle v seperates

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by dobbo, Apr 24, 2003.

1. dobbo

dobbo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Looking at a new AV system which will double for music and have looked at Sony bundle ie 550, Denon AVF100s and separates ie Tosh 520, Keff Speakers, Yamaha amp - but looks significantly more expensive

Can anyone suggest the benefits of a seperate system other than upgrades and if going down a seperate system how to build it for a reasonable cost

2. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,380
    What do you call a reasonable cost?

There are lots of cheap AV retailers. Buy a decent AV mag to find adverts.
    If you look at somewhere such as Richer Sounds then you can find:

Speaker packages from under £200
    AV receivers from around £100
    DVD players from around £50

Add cables to the list and your budget can still be below £400

Sound quality will be better for separates and as you mention you can upgrade each piece of equipment as money becomes available :devil:

Mark.

3. dobbo

dobbo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The Denon I can get for 650 but am prepared to go up to 1400 if there are real benefits

One issue will be speaker size - they will probably have to be wife friendly

I like Toshiba and would possibly buy there new Recordable DVD player - replacing the need for a video recorder at same point

4. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Examples...
    Kef Eggs £600 or
    Ruark Vita £800?
    Energy Take 5.1 £600

AV Amp, say £200-£300 + Yamaha 6xx series
    DVD player £100-£200, Toshiba/Pioneer
    Cables £80
    Subwoofer £200-£500 (buy later)

5. dobbo

dobbo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Should I wait if I can get bigger speakers -

new to this business and have been told the bigger the speaker the better

6. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Bigger=better mainly for subs.

Standmounts or floorstanders for fronts depending if the floorstanders are designed well, and are of good quality (need to spend at least £500 to get decent floorstanders)

Wheras you can get very similar level or performance for much less (or for £500 for standmounts performance surpassing the £500 floorstanders)

7. dobbo

dobbo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I reckon I can get a 'decent' DVD for approximately 200, a receiver for about 300 - but speakers you can pick up from 50 to 5000

If I have 600 - 700 left for speakers should I buy components and build up or should I get a decent set for that amount ?

8. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,380
    Speakers should really be from the same series. In an ideal world all 5/6/7 speakers would be the same make & model. This is very rarely possible/practicle so just stick to the same make and range. This way you get a more even soundstage. The exception to this rule is the sub.

Mark.

9. dobbo

dobbo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks I will take that on board - but from what you are suggesting as well is I should go large - ie not going for the same size of satellites ie eggs

10. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Aye, Kef Eggs are good for the size, but IMO a decent sized standmount (say Kef Q15) surpass sats, even upto the point with the Kef Q15 setup a subwoofer can be delayed and bought later. Wheras with Kef Egg system is subwoofer is a MUST.

Therefore not only will the Kef Q15 sound better in stereo & AV (because they have better midrange & lower bass handling to ~50hz) you can also look around for a mutha of a sub - wheras the Kef Egg subwoofer is pretty mediocre.

11. dobbo

dobbo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    For an absolute beginner it is good to be able to come to a site like this and get the help needed - buying the magazines is fine and believe me I have but sometimes it is just too much information - I will probably end up getting sub, two fronts (use for audio as well) centre and two small surrounds

Will start looking at Richer Sounds, uinless you have anywhere better

12. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,380
    Don't just look at RS. They are good but they only have a limited range of products.
    You say you have some AV mags, look at the adverts in there. This will give a far larger range of options.

Good luck & happy hunting.
    Mark.

13. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I really don't think much of Richer Sounds. Great for bargains and experienced AV buffs - we know what we want, what's good etc.

But for the begineer I would recommend NOT purchasing from Richer Sounds. The salesmen have hardly any knowledge (for example told me to get rid of Audiolab system for a budget Yamaha AV amp), also just getting things wrong (if they proceeded the would have blow up speakers)- this is with several sales guys.

14. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    Superfi and hifibitz are good as are sevenoaks (Pricey) If you went with the denonamp, B&W 600 series speakers would do you well as would a pioneer 656 dvd but budget is the factor! What sort of Display will you be using? CRT.Plasma,PJ?

15. dobbo

dobbo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Toshiba 32ZD26

16. Mr Bigglesworth

Mr Bigglesworth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Another good place to start is here in the classifieds by the way, especially for speakers. I started my home cinema system back in october-ish. I managed to get bit by bit a Tannoy 5.0 system (MX3, MXC, MX1s with atacma nexus 5 rear stands) all for about £190 off the hardware classifieds.

I coupled this with a £110 Pioneer DV350 from amazon, and a £100 Pioneer VSXC300 slimline amp (that was on a special since the newer model was coming out) from richers, and spend about £30 on various cables etc, so thats £430ish for a system I am very happy with (but pales in comparison to some of the monster systems floating around these boards!)