Decent budget home cinema help

thea1234

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi so I'm thinking I need to start going the separate route in order to get decent sound,so can anyone recommend a decent starting package. Just last Friday I got myself a sony bdv-n590 home cinema and I'm not really happy with the sound not impressed. So I need to have something that will put a smile on my face every time I'm watching a movie or playing battlefield.

Hope to here from people soon

What is your budget? Something like the Yamaha 199 can be bought for under £300. For a little over this you can get a budget avr and speaker set from somewhere like Richer Sounds. Can also get some good stuff cheap on the classifieds on here.

If you are set on separates and on a budget perhaps do it in bits. A denon x2000 is 220 if you shop around and a pair of Dali zensor 1s 200. That's a start and add to the speakers monthly and you'd have a potent solution in no time.

The monitor audio vectors are still available at 300 if you want a package all at once from day one.

Probably got about £300 for amp then what I'm thinking is but speakers later on or if I can get a starter kit then change speakers in few month's.

Well 300 on amp alone will get you a yamaha 675 and change, there are various other options. The htib mentioned by PSM1 is under £200 and based around the yamaha 375 amp which by most accounts is decent kit, though yamahas entry level model.

I'm sure the yamaha htib will be fine and it's a cheap and immediate solution. You can ditch the speakers when ready to buy something better and won't be out that much.

But with a bit of patience building a separates solution can be rewarding and you don't have to then throw anything away if planned properly from the start.

Just depends how much you want to spend and over what timeframe.

Ok thanks looks like I'll be buying a Yamaha pack this week. If I decided I want a different amp can I use my speakers from my sony bdv-n590 system. Or are they different type

Ok thanks looks like I'll be buying a Yamaha pack this week. If I decided I want a different amp can I use my speakers from my sony bdv-n590 system. Or are they different type
Sometimes these HTIB speakers have proprietary connections and you'd also need to check the impedance. Really want them to be 8ohm for the type of receivers you are talking about getting. I don't know that sony so you'll have to check.

Most all in one speakers can not be used with an AVR as they generally tend to be below 4ohm impedance and the subs tend to be passive. An AVR needs the speakers to be above 4 ohms and have an active sub.

If you can afford to go for separates rather than HTIB, you obviously have a lot more choice.
If I were starting from scratch, I would be having a good look at speakers on Ebay. I have Q Acoustics 2020i, 2010i and 2000i, these can be bought from Richer Sounds for good prices, but can be picked up for virtually half the price on Ebay.

Well things have changed for the better about 2 hrs ago. I won £10k on scratch card. So now I'm looking for a decent setup for about £1k

Good on ya!!
Decide on your speakers, have a look at BK for a sub and then select an AV with what's left over.
Have fun.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom