Decent AVR with proper pre outs without breaking the bank.

Mikey 21

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys, As above I’m looking for a good AVR with proper pre outs to run the L & R channels on HI FI amp? 100 watts PC minimum. I am still on 5.1 sound so don’t need multiple channels as will only be using centre and rears. I’m kind of thinking Marantz or Denon? What does everybody else think? TIA

Mike.

Hi Guys, As above I’m looking for a good AVR with proper pre outs to run the L & R channels on HI FI amp? 100 watts PC minimum. I am still on 5.1 sound so don’t need multiple channels as will only be using centre and rears. I’m kind of thinking Marantz or Denon? What does everybody else think? TIA

Mike.
no problem any avr of choice :) take your pick. any marantz or denon (with pre outs) will do if preference. i know heap of folk been doing this for years running L&R off denon and marantz to hifi amps :)

Last edited:
I run a Denon X3700H with pre outs to an Arcam SA20 stereo amp, works well. Other AVRs are available.

Mike.
Do you mean 100 watts per channel into 8 ohms with all 5 channels driven? They are thin on the ground and very expensive.

Do you have an AVR already? There is an alternative option to adding a stereo amp to it for music, if it doesn't have pre-outs, which is to use a speaker / amp switch. This will allow you to share a pair of speakers between two different amplifiers, ie an AVR for films / TV and a stereo amp for music.

Do you mean 100 watts per channel into 8 ohms with all 5 channels driven? They are thin on the ground and very expensive.

Do you have an AVR already? There is an alternative option to adding a stereo amp to it for music, if it doesn't have pre-outs, which is to use a speaker / amp switch. This will allow you to share a pair of speakers between two different amplifiers, ie an AVR for films / TV and a stereo amp for music.
I read it he was planning to use pre outs to run a L&R on a hifi amp 100wpc. that isnt rare at all. as in hifi amp with 100wpc ...eg even going back as old as musical fidelity a3 will do 120 wpc genuine...

if looking for an AVR with 100wpc... without breaking bank... that is rare... but not impossible ... id look at older rotel or cambridge...

eg

cambridge 650r 100wpc x 7 channels

or
rotel RSX-1560

they were serious power houses and go cheaply 2nd hand... but yes rare to find still..

New the Denon 3700 is the sweet spot imo. Full set of speaker preouts. If happy with 2nd hand the 4500H is a great receiver imo.

New the Denon 3700 is the sweet spot imo. Full set of speaker preouts. If happy with 2nd hand the 4500H is a great receiver imo.
Yeah, also quoted as 135w driving two channels IIRC, so just driving centre and surrounds should be easily powerful enough.

Actually, I should have said 100 watts per channel with 3 channels driven as it was stated that the AVR will only drive the centre and surrounds in a 5.1 set up.

I think we need to know what number 'breaking the bank' represents to the OP.

If thinking of Denon or Marantz, from my experience of owning both, they sound identical for films, with the Marantz better for 2 channel music. As the OP is not going to use it for music, using the stereo amp instead, and budget is a concern, then they may as well go for the cheaper Denon.

If wanting pre-outs that would be the X3x00 range or better, the current model:

Denon 3700 is currently £999 (105 watts into 2 channels @ 8 ohms).

Or, if going for a speaker switch instead of the pre-outs:

Denon 2700 at £629 (95 watts into 2 channels @ 8 ohms) or,

Denon 1600 at £399 (80 watts into 2 channels @ 8 ohms)

Last edited by a moderator:
My budget would be up to £1000.
If you want to spend a £1000 on an AVR that you won't be using for listening to 2 channel music, and your only requirement is that it has pre-outs, then a Denon 3700 would be the obvious choice.

also if can find denon 4 series on run out or second hand as suggested by @Jester1066 above definitely worth considering the denons and marantz both do get better as go up the ranks... the marantz alternatives in 6 series also worth considering as the 3 series denon cousins :) the marantz 7 series is denon 4 series alternative ...

seeing op is only looking for 5.1and hasn't specified need for cutting edge... some of run out specials might be worth jumping onto...worth a check around, might find retailer with still previous gen that can pick up as a bargain !

also if can find denon 4 series on run out or second hand as suggested by @Jester1066 above definitely worth considering the denons and marantz both do get better as go up the ranks.
Love, love, love my Denon X4500H. Given the current HDMI 2.1 implementation issues - I don't plan on parting with it for a while, that's for sure! I got the added assurance of a free 6yr supercare warranty from Richersounds when I bought it new.

Think the only way I'll part with it is if/when I go full separates route & get a stereo amp with room correction to boot. Aka, Anthem, Arcam (if they sort out the bugs).

Have been looking at the Lyngdorf TDAI-1120 as a (big) upgrade to my Audiolab 6000A! Think my OH would kick me out though. 😂

Love, love, love my Denon X4500H. Given the current HDMI 2.1 implementation issues - I don't plan on parting with it for a while, that's for sure! I got the added assurance of a free 6yr supercare warranty from Richersounds when I bought it new.

Yep best to sit out the debacle :D

Think the only way I'll part with it is if/when I go full separates route & get a stereo amp with room correction to boot. Aka, Anthem, Arcam (if they sort out the bugs).

If considering seperates don’t discount the Marantz processors am very much enjoying my av8805 and no bugs :) there’s also storm, lyngdorf and trinnov but they’re in another galaxy and don’t here about bugs with them :)

Can always add 2ch integrated amp with ht bypass anytime .., those things last through the ages :D arcam and musical fidelity had ht bypass going back to around 2004 !

I use a seperate sub with built in eq for 2ch and that takes care off eq side 2ch wise ...

Have been looking at the Lyngdorf TDAI-1120 as a (big) upgrade to my Audiolab 6000A! Think my OH would kick me out though. 😂

Very nice :D

Last edited:
Can always add 2ch integrated amp with ht bypass anytime .., those things last through the ages :D arcam and musical fidelity had ht bypass going back to around 2004 !

Check my signature mate. I already use the Audiolab 6000A I have in this manner, but it doesn't have independent room correction like the lyngdorf does!. I plan on getting a miniDSP 2x4HD to help integrate my dual subs for stereo use as well as maintaining the AVR's own bass management. See from post #12 onwards in this thread...😁

If considering seperates don’t discount the Marantz processors am very much enjoying my av8805 and no bugs :) there’s also storm, lyngdorf and trinnov but they’re in another galaxy and don’t here about bugs with them :)
I'm probably gonna start by getting a 9 or 11 channel Emotiva XPA Gen 3 & use it with my Denon to start off, then probably get the Marantz av8805 *or Anthem AVM70 (if they can get it stable)

So already thinking ahead buddy! 🤗

I'm probably gonna start by getting a 9 or 11 channel Emotiva XPA Gen 3 & use it with my Denon to start off, then probably get the Marantz av8805 *or Anthem AVM70 (if they can get it stable)

So already thinking ahead buddy!

YeaH the great thing with power amps they last through the ages :)

I ended up just adding another 7ch power to go 7.1.6 :) the amp I added is already 5 years old now ... previous 10 years ... one replaced before it was 7 years old only replaced when moved to processor with balanced xlr :)

Processors might come and go over the years but the power amps should stay :D that said see no reason for the Marantz av8805 to go :D

Check my signature mate. I already use the Audiolab 6000A I have in this manner, but it doesn't have independent room correction like the lyngdorf does!. I plan on getting a miniDSP 2x4HD to help integrate my dual subs for stereo use as well as maintaining the AVR's own bass management.

Nice ! Definitely way to go ... getting best of both !

I use a seperate sub with built in eq for 2ch and that takes care off eq side 2ch wise ...
My 2 SVS Subs have a 3 band PEQ built in with 3 user definable presets, so gonna try that before getting the MiniDSP 2x4HD. Just need a simple 2 in 1 out RCA switch. Setup would go:

RCA Switch Input 1 ➡️ Sub Out (AVR -Movies)
RCA Switch Input 2 ➡️ Audiolab Pre-outs (Music)
RCA Switch Output ➡️ Subs (Left & Right)

Sub PEQ preset: 1. for Music, 2. for Movies, 3. Night Listening

All I gotta do is select:
Input 1 & Preset 1 on sub (for Music)
Input 2 & Preset 2 on sub (for Movies)

My 2 SVS Subs have a 3 band PEQ built in with 3 user definable presets, so gonna try that before getting the MiniDSP 2x4HD. Just need a simple 2 in 1 out RCA switch. Setup would go:

RCA Switch Input 1 ➡️ Sub Out (AVR -Movies)
RCA Switch Input 2 ➡️ Audiolab Pre-outs (Music)
RCA Switch Output ➡️ Subs (Left & Right)

Sub PEQ preset: 1. for Music, 2. for Movies, 3. Night Listening

All I gotta do is select:
Input 1 & Preset 1 on sub (for Music)
Input 2 & Preset 2 on sub (for Movies)
definitely give a shot... with my sub for 2ch i can get a pretty smooth response back at main listening position so takes care for me any EQ needs 2ch wise :)

My 2 SVS Subs have a 3 band PEQ built in with 3 user definable presets, so gonna try that before getting the MiniDSP 2x4HD.
You may be surprised at just how smooth you can get your bass response using those 3-band PEQs. After much fiddling around I've managed to get my two new PB-3000s to within a 9dB window (i.e. +/-4.5dB) from 18Hz to 80Hz. I'm probably still going to get a MiniDSP 2x4HD though as I'm sure it will do better plus I want to be able to add a House Curve.

The biggest problem I had was a drop-out around the cross-over region which I couldn't get rid of until I measured the mains on their own and discovered it was caused by their positioning (SBIR) and had nothing to do with the subs at all. Moving them a few inches closer to the wall fixed it.

Another recommendation was the Yamaha RXA2A? A new model apparently, anybody want to chime in on this?

You may be surprised at just how smooth you can get your bass response using those 3-band PEQs. After much fiddling around I've managed to get my two new PB-3000s to within a 9dB window (i.e. +/-4.5dB) from 18Hz to 80Hz. I'm probably still going to get a MiniDSP 2x4HD though as I'm sure it will do better plus I want to be able to add a House Curve.

The biggest problem I had was a drop-out around the cross-over region which I couldn't get rid of until I measured the mains on their own and discovered it was caused by their positioning (SBIR) and had nothing to do with the subs at all.

Moving them a few inches closer to the wall fixed it.

Yep this is my thinking too. Try the PEQ in the sub, then get the MiniDSP if I want to tweek further. My subs are going to be at approx 1/4 placement on front wall, equal distance from my mains. So should be good for stereo bass integration.

Just need my AV Cabinet finished. I don't see the point in setting up my full HT system to then strip it down for the cabinet to be installed!

some caution with the mini dsp and have experienced this in a few setups... where while achieves goos bass EQ ...it seems to buggerise around the imaging and also somehow compress the sound sucking life out of it !

I'm probably still going to get a MiniDSP 2x4HD though as I'm sure it will do better plus I want to be able to add a House Curve.

few other things around like the dspeaker antimode... also systems like ARC in the paradigm subs ...or the sms system built in the velodynes....all very effective ...

Another recommendation was the Yamaha RXA2A? A new model apparently, anybody want to chime in on this?
hi nikey seems more of a budget model, i dont think Yamaha released the mid to upper models as yet ? is there reason to get this new model? as manybe something like older avenge upper model a better idea ? unless need the cutting edge tech ?

some caution with the mini dsp and have experienced this in a few setups... where while achieves goos bass EQ ...it seems to buggerise around the imaging and also somehow compress the sound sucking life out of it !
Never seen any evidence of this, in my hours of research so far. But your comments are duly noted. I've no doubt I'll start a calibration/setup thread when I finally get my cabinet completed and can set it up properly. I like to document this type of stuff, as it may prove useful to others! 😊

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom