Question Decent AVR with 4K 60 and phono stage - around £300?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by JonnyTester, Oct 29, 2017.

1. JonnyTester

JonnyTester

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +288
    I've decided to stop fighting with my Onkyo TX-NR626 and go for a new receiver.

I need one which does 4K 60 passthrough, minimum 4 HDMI, arc, wifi, and, importantly, a phono stage for my turntable. Good vinyl sound is also important. I'll never achive the dedicated home cinema pipedream I've been chasing from the 90's, so theres no point in specifying Atmos (I've nowhere to put the extra speakers anyway), THX or any real top end features. So one around the £300 mark should suffice, even 2nd hand.

Thoughts and advice please?

2. dante01

dante01
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,616
    Probably the cheapest receiver to include the capabilities you want would be last year's Yamaha RXV681. THe issue is that you may now have difficulty still finding a retailer with any still in stock and even if you do, you'll still need to increase your budget to be able to afford one. THe next option is its replacement, the RXV683 and this will cost you about £590. THe last option is to forget about trying to buy a receiver with an integral phono stage and buy a cheaper model without one. You can then use an external phono pre amp to facilitate connecting a turntable to such a receiver.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2017
  3. Thatsnotmynaim

Thatsnotmynaim

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +796
    Why not got for something like the Denon 2300 @ £349 :
    Denon AVR-X2300W

It doesn't have a phono stage, but I doubt any phono stage in an AVR is actually that good, so hwy not use the change to buy a half descent external phono stage like this for £60 :
    Pro-Ject Phono Box MM Phono Pre-Amplifier
    Still over your budget, but you can shop around for a second hand AVR, the 2300 and 2200 would both do it.

4. JonnyTester

JonnyTester

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +288
    Sod it. I just played safe and went for the Onkyo TX-NR656. It was £349 buy now or best offer from Peter Tyson's ebay shop. I managed to get him down to £335 with 5% quidco and 335 nectar points. Next day delivery as well so should be here by Monday. It was the same price from the same seller on Amazon so I reckon I did alright.