Decent AV Amp / Receiver for DVD and Sky+

samjpullen

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Hi there, i have been told i need either a AV Amp or Receiver for what i want.

I want to be able to play DVD's via my dvd player (Thinking about the Samsung HD950) and also Sky+ (SkyHD in the next month or 2).

I was just wondering what i need for this to work.

At the moment i am waiting delivery of my new TV and then i will need to get the new dvd player (Currently using Panasonic DMR-E55).

I would like both of them running 5.1 sound, i still have yet to find some speakers for the said job aswell so if anyone could point me in the right direction it would be very helpful.

I am a total novice when it comes to this and have just deciced to take the plunge :).

I don't need the loudest of loud speakers etc, just some with nice sound at a decent price :).

Thanks and lets hope you nice people can help ;)

MDX

Just to let you know the Samsung 950 is £79.99 @ Play.com, for how long I do not know.

Hi MDX, what's the budget available for your Surround Sound plunge?

Dan.

MDX said:
Not much in all honesty as i said, i am no wanting top of the range just somthing with decent quality.

Prolly around £200-300 :rolleyes:

Is there anything decent out there for that price or will i have to dig deeper...

Very popular within this price range would be the yammy:
http://www.petertyson.co.uk/ebuttonz/ebz_product_pages/yamahaav59package-yamahaav59.shtml

This should certainly be high on your list. Leaves you scope for upgrading speakers package / reciever if/when the time comes too. Right in middle of your budget too.

Dan.

Im looking to get the Yammy to, but a quick question, Ill have Sky connected to it, and I want to connect a DVD player to it to, if I get a HDMI dvd player, Do i connect the DVD player via HDMI to the TV, and then use audio out to conenct audio to the AMP? Sorry I am a newbie to this.

nikz06 said:
Im looking to get the Yammy to, but a quick question, Ill have Sky connected to it, and I want to connect a DVD player to it to, if I get a HDMI dvd player, Do i connect the DVD player via HDMI to the TV, and then use audio out to conenct audio to the AMP? Sorry I am a newbie to this.
Thats how i will be hooking mine up, i am going to Empiredirect tomorrow as they have this for an amazing £214.96 with only £4.99 Delivery.

http://www.empiredirect.co.uk/content/products/details/index~modelcode~YAM-AV59PACK.htm

MDX said:
Thats how i will be hooking mine up, i am going to Empiredirect tomorrow as they have this for an amazing £214.96 with only £4.99 Delivery.

http://www.empiredirect.co.uk/content/products/details/index~modelcode~YAM-AV59PACK.htm

Just had a look at this myself because this weekend I was about to buy both items from richersounds in Leeds. Hell of a saving with EmpireDirect but the delivery of said item somewhat concerns me ....

"Pre-Order Now
This product is either not currently in the manufacturer's range and is due to be released in the next 30 days, or the product has very recently been released and demand is high. As soon as this item is available your order will be treated as a priority above others and delivered direct to your door. Delivery times of up to 30 days are possible. We will of course contact you should delivery arrangements differ from this."

Unless you know otherwise then I may just carry on shopping around. Good find though all the same.

Cheers

As an afterthought ...

I seem to remember dealing with EmpireDirect in the past but for the life of me can't remember what it was for but I'm sure I dealt with the Bradford branch - they just could not give me a definite answer on stock so gave it a miss.

Have you managed to clarify with them that they have this in stock??

They have some in stock as i asked them to put one aside for me, i am going to pick it up tomorrow on my way back from Ikea (new TV/DVD stand) :)

Can't wait to get everything all hooked up now :D

P.S if i get there and they don't have them i will be major ****** off, i know one of the salesmen at Empire as i used to work with him at Comet, so i hope he can be of help when i pop in tomorrow :)

Well i didnt get it, got there spoke the one of the sales men and told him about my phone call, off he went to see if he could get it for me.

Nope, not in stock!!, i asked why was i told i could pick one up today and he just said they could have got confused over the model number :mad:

Flaming Fools, looks like i might order from one of the online e-tailers now.

I see no point in ordering from them if they failed on something basic like this. We all make mistakes, but seems like you've left there feeling unresolved. Perhaps an order made there and then and a few quid off for your troubles may have been in order, but I'd probably suggest online retailer too at this point.

Dan.

MDX said:
Just thought i would pop back and say i got the AV59 and its great :thumbsup:

What have you got hooked up to it, hows the sound from the speakers provided, was there any cables provided or did you buy your own. Thanks

MDX said:
Just thought i would pop back and say i got the AV59 and its great :thumbsup:

Glad to hear MDX:smashin:

You also have easy upgrade paths should you ever choose to go further up market. It's great to have this flexibility.

Dan

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom