1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Decent Aerial splitter

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by Panasonic_Dude, Nov 4, 2004.

1. Panasonic_Dude

Panasonic_Dude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ok i have a Freeview box and a vcr i want fed from the same aerial, i got a Y splitter but although the freeview signal is ok the picture quality through the vcr is garbage. Can anyone recommend a good splitter, dont mind paying but nothing over 20notes if poss.
    Cheers guys :thumbsup:

2. simon100

simon100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    I would suggest what you need is a signal amplifier, which can be picked up for a few pounds in Argos or B&Q.
    I have one which splits the signal coming from the ariel via the VCR and Sky box to all the rooms in the house and the picture in all rooms is fine.
    If you just split the signal with a Y connection then you are inevitably going to halve the strength going to each receiver.
    Alternatively feed the VCR from the signal coming out of the freeview box, as it is bound to be amplified to a small extent to compensate.

3. Barcoing Mad

Barcoing Mad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +164
    Certainly the RF signal through some freeview boxes is actively buffered. You can check by turning the box on and off. Best way to go, if you leave the thing on all the time.

A perfect passive splitter will drop the signal by 3dB. Enough to screw things up with my reception. Keep meaning to shove another antenna or two up.

4. Panasonic_Dude

Panasonic_Dude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hmm do signal boosters actually work? i have seen one in Argos for 15notes, aerial input and two outputs. I want to get as good a signal as poss as more than likely i'll be getting a dvd recorder around christmas time and dont fancy recording snow all the time :rotfl:

5. sonofmoth

sonofmoth
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    yes, they sure do, I've got two in the house as to help route signals from the aerial sockets. Without them there would be snow in the kitchen! Got mine from Argos too :)

6. simon100

simon100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    As previously mentioned I have one with four outputs, which takes the signal to the lounge, another room downstairs and to the three bedrooms upstairs. One of the bedroom signals is further amplified and then split it to create the five outputs, if you get my drift. I got my amplifier from B&Q and just use ordinary ariel cable throughout.
    This means that Sky and video can be played anywhere!