Question Decent 55" without going OLED

zappakat

Standard Member
Reaction score
Apologies for the thread I know there are a million of these questions and I have read quite a few of them.

I'm looking to replace an old 40" Sony Bravia with something a bit more modern.
I can see the LG OLED is available at the moment for £1350 but that's probably a bit too steep for my liking plus I'm wondering if it's worth the bother based on my circumstances.

So...I'm looking at the MU700 but am open to better suggestions as I see this is a decent gaming TV but I won't really use it for that. Am I going to watch a lot of HDR in the near future? I have no idea.

Budget: Around £700-£800
Size: 55"
Inputs: Virgin V6 Tivo (with Netflix), Amazon Fire TV, Terrestrial.
Sitting position: Around 2 metres away from the screen.
Gaming: Not really used although there is a PS3 for the odd game.
Audience: Mostly straight on viewing, very occasional side on.
Sport: I have an Optoma projector for that.
Lighting: Front room doesn't get a lot of direct sunlight, have got the blinds if needed.
Household eyesight: Average lol

I can see quite a few recommendations for the 55EG9A7V but as far as I can see no-one sells it anymore. I've been looking at Dodgexander's 2017 TV recommendation thread but I'm just wondering now that we are in to 2018 if some of the more expensive 2017 models have dropped down into the mid-level price bracket to beat the current recommendations.

Regards
Z

I wouldn’t pigeonhole the MU7000 as just for gaming. It’s a good set besides also being good for gaming - due to the value it offers.

The more expensive 2017 models are still nigh on a grand - Sony 55XE9005 is £999. Samsung’s 2017 Q range kicks off at £879 for the Q6; Q7 is c£1200.

Look at Panasonic EX750.

Thanks Zeppelino.

Have had a look at the Panny but I don't think it comes in 55" and the 58" is a bit outside the budget. Looking like the Samsung unless someone says different?

You probably could spend less than the MU7000, I'd go for the Hisense N6800 or Sony XE70 series. They are both in the budget section of the guide.

If you were one to know you need motion enhancements and reflections/light were a problem then indeed a mid range model like the MU7000 or similar offers good value but if you can get these TVs at a good price instead you can save some money.

You won't be getting a better quality picture going for a mid range model over a budget model if you don't benefit from the tech the mid range brings.

Thanks, so looking at RS there is a £100 gap. Based on what you're saying it's not worth the extra?

I have watched the review of the Hisense on the site.

I’d venture it’s worth the extra. It’s more future proof than the others, purely by having more HDMI 2 ports which allow you to connect more 4K sources.

Also, and I know some dismiss this offhand, but Samsung’s OS is by far the best and fastest of all.

Depends how much extra, at £100 yeah but prices fluctuate quite a bit. You could probably get a price match on an XE70 for £520, at least buy at £550 and the MU7000 is around £700. £720 at richer.

That's 2 more HDMI 2.0a, a 120hz panel that's only useful if you use interpolation and frame insertion and more in depth software.

Despite being cheaper the Sony has all the basic apps, it's smart TV isn't slow like the higher end Android models and it even has youview if you use Freeview.

There are many variations of the XE70 model but are all the same TV.

Hisense N6800 is also a solid bet, better than average sound and Freeview play.

but Samsung’s OS is by far the best and fastest of all.

Tizen for security with internet use is still a liability:

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2017/07/12/samsungs_tizen_no_longer_worst_ever/

Android comes 2nd, WebOS is the most secure and certified.

That's why it's best to ignore all the smart stuff in a tv nowadays and use an external device for apps.

There are many variations of the XE70 model but are all the same TV.

In Vivid mode, there are some power consumption changes which I think related to contrast being improved from 2900:1 to 3300:1, models numbers below:

upload_2018-5-25_11-33-9.png

I meant of the options on the table. WebOS not on the table here.

You probably could spend less than the MU7000, I'd go for the Hisense N6800 or Sony XE70 series. They are both in the budget section of the guide.

If you were one to know you need motion enhancements and reflections/light were a problem then indeed a mid range model like the MU7000 or similar offers good value but if you can get these TVs at a good price instead you can save some money.

You won't be getting a better quality picture going for a mid range model over a budget model if you don't benefit from the tech the mid range brings.
Just FYI. The N6800 ouperforms the XE70 in almost every area, including viewing angle, build quality and sound. The Sony to recommend would be the XE85 from last year. XE70 should really be a £499 TV - it's a very basic Sony (maybe in same league as entry Samsungs).

Just FYI. The N6800 ouperforms the XE70 in almost every area, including viewing angle, build quality and sound. The Sony to recommend would be the XE85 from last year. XE70 should really be a £499 TV - it's a very basic Sony (maybe in same league as entry Samsungs).
Thanks.
I heard it has better sound and build quality, it also has a wide colour gamut. If we are talking 55" and 65" models didn't personally find any differences in viewing angles at all, both VA type panels with narrow angles. The 50" N6800 may even have more narrow angles, especially compared to the XE70 using IPS at 49" and 43". No idea how it compares either but have seen less reports or worse screen uniformity on the XE70 compared to the Hisense models too, perhaps worse quality control in this area. Could always be a mixed bag though.

I agree that the Sony XE70 should be cheaper.

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom