Decent 2nd hand floorstanders around £150-£200

whos mother

Established Member
Reaction score
I am after a decent pair of floorstanders preferably large to fill the space they will stand.

what would be a good option for around the 150-200 mark..

I want them to mainly improve the stereo performance of my onkyo 806.

is there anything that particularly jumps out as a quality used bargain,there are just so many around I need the field narrowing down.

I dont care about age so much as speakers are speakers

just been looking at some tannoy revolution R3,and some mission 753s which have gone above budget

I know questions like this get asked a lot but a lot of the threads on a search are old and as such not relevant anymore.

I realise this should be in the sub forum now:blush:

If a mod could move it thanks

Always hard to recommend 2nd hand buys as will depend a lot on what is around at the time. Also you may be able to get a higher end but much older speaker for the money but this would not come without risks in terms of the condition and longevity of the speaker (although speakers can last a very long time).
If looking at new the Wharfedale Xarius floorstander has sold for around £150 and is very hard to beat for that money.
What speakers do you currently have? What centre? Really you want the front 3 to be matching in terms of make/model to give the best front soundstage.

at the minute I have roth oli3 all around and a roth c2 centre.They sound great with films and fairly good with music but seem to lack a real punch and room filling ability

I dont care if the fronts and centre match really.I cant say I have ever noticed a benefit

I just want to add some bigger decent floorstanders to be better with stereo mode or pure audio when listening to music and hopefully they will be fine with films and fit in the set up alright

at the minute I keep thinking about the mission 753s something along that size

If you can source the Mission 780 Argonaut Floorstander - you probably would never need to upgrade again

An incredible Loudspeaker

Ken

Here are some big powerful speakers that sound great for the modest money they cost -

Wharfedale XARUS5000-BLACK from Hughes Direct

I think TribalUK might also have them.

BUT, these are front speakers only. There is no matching center. But, they are exceptional speaker at a very low price, and they are NEW. The suggested Retail price on these is about £450/pr.

Something to consider.

Steve/bluewizard

Last edited:
Here are some big powerful speakers that sound great for the modest money they cost -

Wharfedale XARUS5000-BLACK from Hughes Direct

I think TribalUK might also have them.

BUT, these are front speakers only. There is no matching center. But, they are exceptional speaker at a very low price, and they are NEW. The suggested Retail price on these is about £450/pr.

Something to consider.

Steve/bluewizard

They look promising.

would they be a sound difference between those and my oli 3s?

Its hard to look at speakers because so many of the specs are similar all similar watts,all similar frequencies its like top trumps and sometimes the better speakers lose out on paper:D

2 speakers with the same specs can be worlds apart I assume,I was looking at some old kef reference speakers on ebay and I assume they are good yet nothing in the specs would lead you to believe this

I will 2nd Steve suggestion the wharfedales are awesome speakers i brought some for my bedroom and they then got promoted to the front room and my front room speakers to the bed room, they go loud and can give some awesome clear bass, i use them on an onkyo 875. Well worth the money and more.

I will 2nd Steve suggestion the wharfedales are awesome speakers i brought some for my bedroom and they then got promoted to the front room and my front room speakers to the bed room, they go loud and can give some awesome clear bass, i use them on an onkyo 875. Well worth the money and more.

would they be better than second hand mission 753s or tannoy revolution r3's that are similar money?

or would you be sacrificing some quality for the piece of mind of buying new

I have never really bought speakers before just kind of dropped on them

Last edited:
whos mother said:
would they be better than second hand mission 753s or tannoy revolution r3's that are similar money?

or would you be sacrificing some quality for the piece of mind of buying new

I have never really bought speakers before just kind of dropped on them
I can't really say as never used them but these speakers will impress.
They do have a very good quality sound. Speakers are hard to compare unless on the same amp and in the same room.

Your budget is the limiting factor. In new, there is virtually nothing in that price range that will equal they quality of the Xarus 5000, which are normally £450/pr.

In used, I'm sure there are used speakers that are fantastic for the money. All you have to do is find them. With used speakers you are at the mercy of the market, and at the mercy of your own ability to know what speakers are worth buying and which are not. That typically comes from years of experience with a variety of speakers. Also, you are somewhat at the mercy of the seller, and the degree to which you can trust him to accurately represent the speakers under consideration.

So, yes absolutely there are outstanding bargains in used equipment ... all you have to do is find them, and know them when you see them.

I would suggest checking this Forums For Sale section. It is pretty closely monitored, and generally trust worthy.

Ebay is a good source, and within limits, Ebay does give you a degree of protection.

The advantage of the Xarus is that it is a lot of good speaker for an insanely low price. The disadvantage is that there is no matching Center speaker.

It might also help to know what speakers you have now.

Steve/bluewizard

For what it is worth, REVIEWS -

RecommendedBuys UK: Wharfedale XARUS XR-5000 review & best buys

Again if you can find a bargain on used speakers, they will probably sound better, but that is if -

If you can find them.

If you know them when you see them.

If you can trust the seller.

I would suggest you look for new speakers that you know sound good, then try and find used version, or version that are one model back.

Steve/bluewizard

Not sure I can say here but I have some Celestion 300 floor standers, there hardly monsters but the quality in my opinion is Fab. Second hand is always a gamble but I think these speakers were around a grand and not sure that I'll get much for them, so some one will benefit. I'm thinking of upgrading my year old Denon to, things move so quickly in amplification but in speakers I think it's gone the life style look way over quality, but not much holds its value. I always attempt second hand now I've learnt my
Lesson. Patience can get the better of you down that route though.

I think I have decided to go with the Wharfedale XARUS5000.

It seems like a lot of speaker for the money and I really like the fact they seem in your face,I do like a room filler:D.

Who can get perfection anyway for pennies I just want something loud and pretty clear with a lot of bass.

thanks for the advice chaps.I do like the look of the mission 753s but feel I could be buying problems or potential problems with a speaker that age and I am not into DIY,I just want something that will get the room shaking:arty:

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom