• [URL=http://www.avforums.com/forums/16038539-post1.html]Miranda[/URL]

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • [URL=http://www.avforums.com/forums/16070321-post1.html]den9112[/URL]

• [URL=http://www.avforums.com/forums/16070830-post1.html]goso[/URL]

• [URL=http://www.avforums.com/forums/16073081-post1.html]GaseousClay[/URL]

• [URL=http://www.avforums.com/forums/16075182-post1.html]thelegendofyrag[/URL]

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Well said M :)

Urban...
adj.
1. Of, relating to, or located in a city.
2. Characteristic of the city or city life.

I seem to have caused a stir, first of all every picture in this comp is excellent in it's own way, in my interpretation of urban, I feel a sense of inner city/town from a street level is important, the photo should exhibit the human interactions within this environment, I feel the key point is the majority of definitions of Urban, the word IN is used, 'in the city', 'in the urban environment.
There seems to be images in the comp which I would class more of a cityscape, taken outside the urban environment,

cityscape - a viewpoint toward a city or other heavily populated area.

It would seem strange that you have voted for a photo that to me says neither 'in the city' nor 'in the town'.

It would seem strange that you have voted for a photo that to me says neither 'in the city' nor 'in the town'.

:laugh:

..."Touche!"

Sorry I rubbed you up the wrong way, I'm sorry Darren for ramming it down your throat and using dictionary definitions and not wikkipedia and I'm also sorry for using the word sausage, I'm off, hope you all have an amazing new year!
I'm off out now to take an urban night cityscape of a Cotswold rural cottage, at miday with a Labrador called ken.

Bye bye.

Mind that Door on the Way Out ;)

I'm also sorry for using the word sausage, I'm off, hope you all have an amazing new year!

I like sausages.

I'm off out now to take an urban night cityscape of a Cotswold rural cottage, at miday with a Labrador called ken.

Bye bye.

Reminds me of a poem.

One fine day in the middle of the night
Two dead photographers got up to fight
Back to back they faced each other
Drew their DSLR's and shot a lovely semi-urban nightscape of a rural cottage.

I like sausages.

Reminds me of a poem.

One fine day in the middle of the night
Two dead photographers got up to fight
Back to back they faced each other
Drew their DSLR's and shot a lovely semi-urban nightscape of a rural cottage.

Funny - that doesn't :rotfl:

Sorry I rubbed you up the wrong way, I'm sorry Darren for ramming it down your throat and using dictionary definitions and not wikkipedia and I'm also sorry for using the word sausage, I'm off, hope you all have an amazing new year!

Bye bye.

:rolleyes::boring:

...and we even voted for the same entry.

Last edited:
Hmm... was this all my fault? :)

There Was a Harsh Man From The North
With a tongue as long as the Forth
And surely as sharp as a sword
When his pussycat roared

When his pussycat roared

:thumbsup::devil:

...what can I say ? :rolleyes:

...other than "Don't Give Up Your Day Job"

...at Hallmark :devil:

When his pussycat roared
He jumped in his Ford
And was never seen henceforth

When his pussycat roared
He jumped in his Ford
And was never seen henceforth

1) It's a Fiat :D

and

2) "You (amongst many others) Wish!"

Jim

Urban...
adj.
1. Of, relating to, or located in a city.
2. Characteristic of the city or city life.

I seem to have caused a stir, first of all every picture in this comp is excellent in it's own way, in my interpretation of urban, I feel a sense of inner city/town from a street level is important, the photo should exhibit the human interactions within this environment, I feel the key point is the majority of definitions of Urban, the word IN is used, 'in the city', 'in the urban environment.
There seems to be images in the comp which I would class more of a cityscape, taken outside the urban environment,

cityscape - a viewpoint toward a city or other heavily populated area.

This photo was taken whilst stood in Tsim Sha Tsui facing towards Central, I was well within the city taking a photo of a tiny fragment of the city, Hong Kong is huge. If you wanted a cityscape of Hong Kong it would probably look like this... although even that is missing huge parts of the city.

I didn't want to go into this when I originally posted the entry as I wanted people to make their own judgement but the photo also pretty much sums up Hong Kong for me, this city is all about glitz, glamour and making things look good on the outside. Anyone who has any notion of the Asian concept of face (please don't confuse this with the Western concept of face which is like comparing Lake Windemere to the Pacific Ocean) will understand the need to make things appear fantastic to others over actually being fantastic. Hong Kong Island skyline, in particular this part sums it up for me, it looks great, indeed I rank it as the best skyline in the world, but still covers up the a multitude of problems within a city just like any other. In this sense, for me anyway, the picture also sums up the characteristic of Hong Kong, it looks great! Even as an expat many of the issues here are not that obvious unless you really look as everything looks great on the surface.

A nice little experiment and voyage of discovery for you.....

....go to flickr, now search for urban, take note of the style of image in the majority of shots...

...now search for cityscape!

The difference is pretty clear, Urban is Urban, a cityscape isn't!!!!!

Now type in urban nightscape which is the actual theme, as that's what I did before I took mine for inspiration, there are plenty of shots in the same vein as mine taken all over the world.

One of the reasons that I like this competition is that all levels of entry are welcome, I can submit photographs here and receive compliments (which are always nice to hear) as well as constructive criticism, which as a complete amateur, is always useful to hear as well as reading through the comments people make about other's photographs. Before entering here I had never thought of cropping a photo, adjusting the colours or indeed a number of other simple things. This month's theme inspired me to buy a tripod and teach myself how to take a longer exposure, something I honestly had never done before. In fact, it was the first time I had ever flicked my DSLR to manual mode! I enjoyed it so much I have spend most of the last few evenings experimenting with night shots in Phnom Penh, much to the annoyance of my wife.

When entering you also accept that criticism will come your way and have to be able to take it, what I don't like are sarcastic comments when others don't agree with a person's train of thought. As a newbie to the forums it is understandable though as that is what goes on on most other forums, I like to think that AVForums, or rather this section at least are unlike most forums, the reason I come on here.

Hopefully, that makes some sense. Looking forward to seeing your entry next month.

Last edited:
Hmm... was this all my fault? :)

Not at all Miranda. I'd had a couple of drinks last night and was feeling, well, a bit argumentative and felt Canon50d's comments to be a bit out of line. So, if anything, I probably stirred things up more than was necessary :blush:

Darren

Anyway my vote was for Paranomalist, I think he got the exposure spot on and that true urban gritty feel :p

When entering you also accept that criticism will come your way and have to be able to take it, what I don't like are sarcastic comments when others don't agree with a person's train of thought. As a newbie to the forums it is understandable though as that is what goes on on most other forums, I like to think that AVForums, or rather this section at least are unlike most forums, the reason I come on here.

Hopefully, that makes some sense. Looking forward to seeing your entry next month.

Hear, Hear! I quite agree, it's all for fun:smashin:

Last edited:
Robjonesuk for me.

Well done to all who got out there & got a shot to enter, some very nice interpretations on the theme. Particularly liked the shots from Raj, Liquid, Andy C & Erikbloodaxe.

Big thanks to Zone for his continued efforts each month in keeping this competition going. :smashin:

Happy new year to all.

Here, Here! I quite agree.:smashin:

+1:thumbsup: If you are new to the forum, approach it with a bit of friendly nature... Miranda, your reply was spot on!!!:thumbsup:

I usually reserve eating the popcorn for threads in GC, but this is quite enthralling.

:thumbsup:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom