December 2006 Winner - Architecture

iandrews

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Two styles of Architecture, St Paul’s Cathedral built between 1675 and 1710, and the Millennium Bridge from (what a surprise) 2000.

Camera: Canon S3IS
ISO: 80
Shutter Speed Priority
Focal Length: 14.2mm
Shutter Speed: 4 Sec
Aperture: 3.5
Date / Time: 6/12/06 17:23

Post Processing: Cropped slightly, Adjusted contrast to make the sky slightly darker, added a little warm tint, and then sharpened (and then resized).

06decmbsmall.jpg

WOW!

What a fantastic picture, its really clean, and it has great depth of field.

Excellent:thumbsup:

Outstanding shot, really very impressive.

There are so many sections of the shot that I really like and the overall picture is stunning.

I know its early, but I am willing to wager that this will be there or there abouts come the final showdown.

:clap:

That really is excellent... would love to have taken a photo like that. Got to think you're in with a bloody good shout for this months comp.

Well done!

Thanks for the great comments. :thumbsup:

I’m on a course in the City this week so a perfect opportunity for me to get some photos. My original idea was to get Old and New, and it was going to be the Millennium Bridge with the old Bankside power station (now the Tate Modern) in the background. However in the morning (before the course) the sun was in the wrong position and the building was too dark. So I wondered around the city getting some photos of Tower 42 (Net West Tower), the Gherkin, and the Lloyds building (really interesting).

After the course I went back to the Lloyd’s building to get some of it lit up in the dark (see my Photo sharing thread for one of them). I then headed back to the Millennium Bridge, again the shot I wanted to get didn’t quite work. Earlier in the day I had seen a photo on the web of St Paul’s behind the bridge, so I headed over the bridge to the other side. I then spent at least 30 mins trying different exposure settings, and different angles and zoom. I even tried on the bridge, but it still wobbles so with the long exposures needed the photos were all blurred!?!?!

Out of all the photos I took, the one above was one of the best ones, so I still ended up with Old and New, but not quite what I had set out to get.

Ian.

I really like this, it shows also that you don't need to have a dSLR to get great photos :thumbsup:

Very, very cool shot - similar to some that I was trying for whilst out in Prague, but yours has come out much sharper and clearer (I had difficulty with a low-light foreground, and a bright background... hmph!)

Good luck with this one - as some of the others have said, it will need to be a very special photo to beat this one :)

I really like this one. You see a lot of shots of the Millenium Bridge, and the Bridge and St Pauls in the background. But this one is different as it was not taken on the bridge itself, but taken from the riverside. I like how you used the 4 second exposure, and made the river blur just that little bit.

Well done:thumbsup:

That is one stunning photo Ian. Congratulations on achieving such a great result from your determination to get it. It looks almost 3D at times when I look at it. I would love to get hold of a copy of the full resolution file to use as a desktop wallpaper.

I really like this one. You see a lot of shots of the Millenium Bridge, and the Bridge and St Pauls in the background. But this one is different as it was not taken on the bridge itself, but taken from the riverside. I like how you used the 4 second exposure, and made the river blur just that little bit.

Well done:thumbsup:

4 Secs was probably the minimun I could do without the photo being too dark.

That is one stunning photo Ian. Congratulations on achieving such a great result from your determination to get it. It looks almost 3D at times when I look at it. I would love to get hold of a copy of the full resolution file to use as a desktop wallpaper.

That's fine, however best wait until the end of the comp so I don't break any rules.

Ian.

As said before, this is a very good shot. :smashin:

Was going to do something along the same lines but will have to think about something else now!:(

Paul

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom