December 2006 Winner - Architecture

werewolf40

Novice Member
This is a fantastic shot:thumbsup:very best of luck in the comp:smashin:

bitofatit

Novice Member
I'm holding back back my vote in case there are any better entries, but so far I think this snap is my fave. Absolutely terrific. Well done.:thumbsup:

bodoman

Distinguished Member
I'm holding back back my vote in case there are any better entries, but so far I think this snap is my fave. Absolutely terrific. Well done.:thumbsup:
sorry to give you more info on rules of the game, but voting is at the end of the comp, not during it:rolleyes:

bitofatit

Novice Member
sorry to give you more info on rules of the game, but voting is at the end of the comp, not during it:rolleyes:
Cheers bodo.. I posted a snap of mine which has subsequently been deleted, EVEN though I said it wasn't a real entry 'cause I didn't know the Exidf and shutter speed and what not. It was a joke; I did suggest a sub catagory (really)- no prizes, just for fun, for *rseholes like me, who simply enjoy snapping and sharing. Perhaps it would have been an encouragement. Anyway, good luck to all the serious snappers, you have to work hard for your art and thats cool; but some maybe...need to lighten up a little?
Bit of a Tit
P.S This one still gets my vote so far!

V

vulkan75

You can snap and share,either on the main photograhy forum or on the forums flickr group.We would love to see your pics,snaps otherwise.:)

I guess your pic was deleted cos it didnt meet the rules for posting on the comp thread.Others have had theirs deleted for the same reasons.

This makes it fair and more simple to moderate for zone.If people check the rules and their pics b4 posting, it would surley make zones job easier and save people getting upset their pics have been removed.:rolleyes:

rules are rules:D

bitofatit

Novice Member
You can snap and share,either on the main photograhy forum or on the forums flickr group.We would love to see your pics,snaps otherwise.:)

I guess your pic was deleted cos it didnt meet the rules for posting on the comp thread.Others have had theirs deleted for the same reasons.

This makes it fair and more simple to moderate for zone.If people check the rules and their pics b4 posting, it would surley make zones job easier and save people getting upset their pics have been removed.:rolleyes:

rules are rules:D
You are right of course ..but I've asked before and I will again but Ithink it's a conspiarcy to stop entering WTF is an EDIF, how do I know the shutter speed when the camera selects it etc? I :rolleyes:

P.S I really don't want to make it difficult for the Mods (No really - they have a tough enough time as it is without me adding to their burden) especially as this may result in my fave forum (General Chat) getting the Chop!! OMG Noooo! Sorry Mods.

bowenjones

Iandrews, i'm sorry to take your thread off topic but I think that an explaination is due regarding the need for exif data.

bitofatit, exif is the data that gets recorded when you take a shot with a digital camera. It shows what camera you are using, time and date it was taken and the camera settings used for that shot, i.e. the shutter speed, ISO, focal length etc etc. For the competitions purpose, the exif is needed to make sure that the shot was taken during the qualifying period. There has been one famous occasion here when somebody posted a picture in the competition which turned out to be rather fishy ;). Basically it wasn't his image and it wasn't taken in the time frame. Hence the reason why the moderators feel the need to see the exif data, to ensure that the entries are eligible.
Nearly all digital cameras record the exif data. The problem that some are having is that the data doesn't seem to stick once the picture has been resized or been posted from certain image hosting sites. Zone has compromised here by asking those who's data isn't showing to email him the full size image so that he can see if the image qualifies or not. As far as I can see, there is absolutely no conspiracy going on to rule out anyone. The exif data rule is only there to make the competition fair and open :)

colbec23

Novice Member
Firstly, on the off topic exif discussion - for all those entries that Zone has broken the link - do they have to attach/link to a new image that meets the rules, or will Zone re-establish the link if the poster sends Zone the original for checking? That's what I thought the compromise solution was, but none of the broken entries appear to have been re-established (except Gordon's?).

Secondly, back on topic - a bit late to join the praise party, but this really is a fantastic shot. The bridge looks like it could have been CGId into a shot of old London town, and the river looks like mercury - whether a lovely unanticipated side effect of the exposure needed, or a brilliant addition to an already wonderful shot, well done indeed.

Chunder

Novice Member
Congratulations Ian - a photo that's definitely deserving of the *huge* proportion of the votes that it got (55/84 i.e. 65% or so!)

Pick a nice subject next time, m'kay? :)

HMHB

Distinguished Member
Well done mate, an excellent photo that fully deserves the huge number of votes it received :thumbsup:

bodoman

Distinguished Member
Well done and congratulations to you Ian, your photo was easily best allround shot of the lot, we are not worthy:)

Next month can you please dumb down your entry or post it right at the end of the comp to give the rest of us hope:devil:

iandrews

Thanks for the comments and votes. When I took it I never realised now good it was going to look, and once I got it onto the PC and decided to enter it I never thought it would attract so many votes.

Happy New Year to you all, and I hope you like / enjoy this months theme.

Ian.

Chunder

Novice Member
Wow - just found this photo on Flickr, and thought that someone had nabbed your winning entry; my first thought was "that's familiar! Don't recognise the name from AVF, though" :)

(by .Carlo)

Yeah, not quite the same crop, but still pretty similar...

iandrews

Yes, we had a discussion about a month ago when one of the photo mags published a very similar pic to mine (and the one you linked too) on their front cover. Someone did a search on Flickr and found quite a few that were like mine. I didn't search on Flickr before I took my photo, I suspect that it's just such a popular place for photos to be taken that many people have taken a shot before me, and many more will take it in the future.

Ian.

The latest video from AVForums

The Best Movies and TV Shows Coming to Netflix in November 2020: Tom's Thumbs.

Latest News

Tom's Thumbs: What is coming to Netflix in November 2020
  • By AVForums
  • Published
Melco anniversary edition N10 library announced
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
What's new on Disney+ UK for November 2020
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Denon, Marantz and Yamaha AV receivers hit by HDMI 2.1 bug
  • By Andy Bassett